Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Aug 2015, 02:58
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2+2 MBA Application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 20:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey,

Just wondering how many submitted their application for Harvard's 2+2 application? It seems like they wont be accepting to many (30-50?) and probably had a large number of extremely qualified candidates.

Also, what were your credentials ??

GMAT: 640 :( low but didnt get a chance to study
GPA: 3.98
UnderGrad School: Michigan State University
UnderGrad Major: Computer Science and Engineering
Work Exp: IBM Extreme Blue, TechSmith and State of Michigan ( part time while going to school ) - All relevant to my degree

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into this??
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 05:22
I don't know much about the 2+2 Program.

But I did go to MSU, go I wanted to say Go Green!

If I had to guess, I would think you should consider retaking the GMAT. I went from 690 -> 730, so improvement is certainly possible if you get some studying done. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk MSU, or GMAT Study strategy.

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 08:12
I applied to the 2+2 program also. You're right, it will be interesting to see how this whole thing works out. From what I have read, HBS wants to eventually admit 10% of their class through 2+2 (so that would be ~90 students). But they've also said that this is a goal, and they will gradually get there. They've also said that for this year (the first year), they will just let the strength of the applicant pool determine how many students get admitted through 2+2. So for all we know, they could decide to only let in 5 students through 2+2 this year...

My credentials:
GMAT - 740
GPA - 3.99
Double major - Mechanical engineering and mathematics
P/T Work experience - mechanical design at a defense contractor, research assistant at school
I also took 2 years off of school between my freshman and sophomore years to volunteer full-time as a missionary for my church.

Personally, I think it's hard to say what your chances are, because no one really knows what HBS is looking for through 2+2, as this is the first year it's ever been offered. Sure, HBS has said a few things about it, but there aren't any past results to go by.

Good luck though!

Last edited by ko on 19 Jul 2008, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 08:49
what class lost you the .01 points on your GPA? You must be very upset about that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 08:55
terp26 wrote:
what class lost you the .01 points on your GPA? You must be very upset about that.

You're going to laugh...it was the easiest class I've ever had. My freshman year, I took a "Computer Essentials" class. You know, the type where they teach you how to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Well, my freshman year, I snowboarded a LOT, and this class was so rediculously boring that I'd skip it occassionaly to head to the mountain. So I missed a few "buzz" words that the teacher put on an exam, and I got an A- in the class. But what can you do, right? It was my own fault.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 09:46
I had to knock you down a peg for that ridiculous GPA/GMAT you have. Even if you don't make it into the 2+2 program this year, I'd say you'll do just fine with a year or two of WE. GL!

As for the OP...considering this is the first year the program has been offered, you really have no idea what to expect. Maybe you have some other qualities that a unique program such as this may want to "groom". It can't hurt to re-take, but I wouldn't get too discouraged, you're in uncharted waters.

Last edited by VictoryMBA on 02 Jul 2008, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 10:00
VictoryMBA wrote:
And coming from Michigan State University, that's saying a lot. Were your classmates chain smoking chimps?

I KID!! :lol:

I had to knock you down a peg for that ridiculous GPA/GMAT you have. Even if you don't make it into the 2+2 program this year, I'd say you'll do just fine with a year or two of WE. GL!

As for the OP...considering this is the first year the program has been offered, you really have no idea what to expect. Maybe you have some other qualities that a unique program such as this may want to "groom". It can't hurt to re-take, but I wouldn't get too discouraged, you're in uncharted waters.

Well to be accurate, I'm not at Michigan State, the OP is. But there might have been some chain smoking chimps in my classes...
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 10:11
VictoryMBA wrote:
And coming from Michigan State University, that's saying a lot. Were your classmates chain smoking chimps?

[edited for content - very slight overreaction by a die-hard Spartan :wink: ]
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 11:16
Post edited...I guess the humour (and the fact that I said I was kidding in giant caps) was lost :(

MSU is a great school, but I was trying to imitate one of those prestige whor** that you find on all the other forums. His stats are stellar, so I was just ribbing. I think I'll leave the comedy to the rest of the members from now on.

Back the the shadows for me again!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 11:36
smkrn wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

I KID!! :lol:

Well to be accurate, I'm not at Michigan State, the OP is. But there might have been some chain smoking chimps in my classes...

You must've gone to the U then, Ha!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 11:42
cougarblue wrote:

Oh man, I set myself up for that one! Well played...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 11:50
smkrn wrote:
cougarblue wrote:

Oh man, I set myself up for that one! Well played...

Good luck w/ the apps. Where else are you applying? My list right now is: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, HBS (maybe), Stanford (maybe), and UCLA. I'm dreading writing the essays, but will probably have to get started this month. How much are you writing about your mish in the essays?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 12:21
I'll send a PM to avoid hijacking this thread further.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 10:58
So no other 2+2 applicants here?

Last edited by ko on 15 Jul 2008, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 16:07
600 applications? That's no good. It will probably be worse for those of us that apply next year.

How was the application for 2+2? Any general insight would be appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 19:34
Ya I was a little surprised to hear that there were 600 applications. I thought it would be a bit less, but what can you expect with HBS, right?

As far as the application - it was actually quite straight forward. It is pretty similar to the regular HBS application. The best advice I can give is to look at the essay questions very early and get your strategy for them mapped out. I wish I would have started my essays in February or March instead of in June. Also, try and take the GMAT as early as you can - I took the GMAT on June 30th and the application was due on July 1st. So not only did I have the stress of studying for the GMAT and trying to get the application done at the same time, but there was the added pressure of knowing that if I screwed up the GMAT, my work on the application would be a waste. Try to avoid that type of situation and pressure.
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 12:04
I to was surprised at how many people applied. I think my chances of getting in are a lot lower now.
Re: Harvard 2+2 MBA Application   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2008, 12:04