Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:31
query007 wrote:
433349100 wrote:
equestrian wrote:
next week will be killer...


Yeah, couldn't agree more. I just can't seem to distract myself enough. My BP is already up and I'm having trouble sleeping. :(


If there is anything my R1 dings have taught me, it is to keep expectations low and be as nonchalant as possible.


Agreed.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 41
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:34
Catatonic wrote:
poseidon85 wrote:
Well, it was nice to hear from some alums. A few of us wondered if getting invited reflected in any way on admission chances. Probably not but who knows?


That's a good question, but my impression was that everyone who interviewed and lives on the west coast was invited. I'd imagine we'd have heard on the board already any west coasters who interviewed R2 were not invited to the event.


I spoke to folks there who mentioned that they personally knew other West Coast applicants who didn't get the invite. We thought it might have had something to do with indicating entrepreneurship as an interest on the application. Pure speculation of course but it helps to pass the time until the 27th
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:22
aniabra wrote:
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?


:-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:24
aniabra wrote:
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?


@aniabra where else did you apply and interview? Any admits so far?

I was heartened to hear of your interview invite story (from your previous post).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:29
433349100 wrote:
aniabra wrote:
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?


@aniabra where else did you apply and interview? Any admits so far?


MIT, Stanford, and HBS. Ding from MIT, 99.999% ding from Stanford coming up. So HBS is my only option right now. I am trying not to set my hopes up and prepare for the worst but it is really hard. What about you?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:33
aniabra wrote:
433349100 wrote:
aniabra wrote:
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?


@aniabra where else did you apply and interview? Any admits so far?


MIT, Stanford, and HBS. Ding from MIT, 99.999% ding from Stanford coming up. So HBS is my only option right now. I am trying not to set my hopes up and prepare for the worst but it is really hard. What about you?


Applied to just Tuck and HBS. Really fortunate to get in at Tuck (last Friday).

Yeah, I felt getting just an interview at HBS was an accomplishment. I interviewed on-campus on Feb 11th. Felt it went ok, but was really nervous. What about you? Btw, mind sharing who your interviewer was (you can PM me if you prefer)? Happy to share mine, too.

Oh, and, yeah, the wait is slowly gnawing away at my insides...
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 81
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:36
poseidon85 wrote:
I spoke to folks there who mentioned that they personally knew other West Coast applicants who didn't get the invite. We thought it might have had something to do with indicating entrepreneurship as an interest on the application. Pure speculation of course but it helps to pass the time until the 27th


just a data point to add here - I'm a West Coast admit and I was clear about my entrepreneurial goals in my app and interview
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Research (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:22
hunterashmore wrote:
poseidon85 wrote:
I spoke to folks there who mentioned that they personally knew other West Coast applicants who didn't get the invite. We thought it might have had something to do with indicating entrepreneurship as an interest on the application. Pure speculation of course but it helps to pass the time until the 27th


just a data point to add here - I'm a West Coast admit and I was clear about my entrepreneurial goals in my app and interview


Thank you for your data point. We are discussing about an Entrepreneurship event for which candidates who interviewed in Round 2 were invited to and whether it may have a correlation to being admitted.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:27
Almost the start of the last weekend before Decision Day. We've made it this far so the next five days should be quick (hopefully?)!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:51
Update on Dee's blog:

22 MAR 2013
Breaking the Silence

Yikes, what a neglected piece of cyber-real estate this page has been!

While I think we've done a good job of keeping Round 2 interviewees informed about "what’s next," etc., I realize that there hasn't been much for anyone else.

Sorry.

Here's what's going on:

Round 2 Notification Date
March 27. Noon (I hope).

Round 3 Application Deadline
April 8. Noon. Yes, we have spots available. We always do. Be aware that we don't have an Admit Welcome on campus for this round nor can we be sure that international admits will be able to get through the visa process in time for matriculation. There will not be as much on-campus housing available as in the earlier rounds. We won't be traveling to hub cities to interview so you will need to come to campus. 2+2 applicants are not competing for September 2013 spaces and we have factored that into our planning for admit spots.

Class of 2016 Applicants
Stay tuned for information about summer information sessions both on campus and worldwide. The application will go live at the end of May.

Answers to a couple of (really) frequently asked questions:
Yes, it's ok to apply to HBS if your undergraduate degree was a three year program.
No, we will not add material to your file after the application submission deadline.
All candidates need to submit either GRE or GMAT scores - no preference - but no exceptions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 16:15
Anyone else waiting for both Harvard and Stanford? Wednesday is going to be a hard day.

Anyone have a sense of what your odds are if you've interviewed at both? Here is my math: If both schools are 50/50 that means overall assuming independence we have a 75% chance of getting into one of the two schools. But not sure if there is an actual data point out there.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 04:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Catatonic wrote:
Anyone else waiting for both Harvard and Stanford? Wednesday is going to be a hard day.

Anyone have a sense of what your odds are if you've interviewed at both? Here is my math: If both schools are 50/50 that means overall assuming independence we have a 75% chance of getting into one of the two schools. But not sure if there is an actual data point out there.


I don't really think that is a safe assumption to make. I'd imagine those that get admitted to one are more likely to get admitted to the other. A really good profile is going to be a really good profile at both schools -- as will a bad remain a bad.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 33
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Catatonic wrote:
Anyone else waiting for both Harvard and Stanford? Wednesday is going to be a hard day.

Anyone have a sense of what your odds are if you've interviewed at both? Here is my math: If both schools are 50/50 that means overall assuming independence we have a 75% chance of getting into one of the two schools. But not sure if there is an actual data point out there.


I'm waiting for Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton this week... though from what I hear, we get a call Tuesday from Stanford if we're in (same day as Wharton) but if we don't hear, we'll get the online update for ding or WL on Wednesday. HBS is all online at noon. So for me Tuesday begins the terror, and will be over Wednesday at noon.

As for odds... I have lots of people in my life trying to make me play the "Harvard or Stanford" game, and its really not fun. I want to be confident that one of them will take me, but its really out of my hands at this point.

Can we just pretend like the 75% chance is a real thing and leave it at that? 50 more hours...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 41
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 11

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
These last few days really are agonizing. It will be over soon one way or the other..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:04
For those who received their admit in R1. How does the letter you receive online start off with? With "Congratulations!"

Just want to prepare myself for that first millisecond when I open the decision letter. If I don't see the key word or phrase used in admit letters, I'll know I'm finished.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
433349100 wrote:
For those who received their admit in R1. How does the letter you receive online start off with? With "Congratulations!"

Just want to prepare myself for that first millisecond when I open the decision letter. If I don't see the key word or phrase used in admit letters, I'll know I'm finished.


A gracious R1 admit shared the following first line of his/her acceptance letter:

"On behalf of Harvard Business School, it is a pleasure and a privilege to offer you a place in the MBA Class of 2015."

Last edited by 433349100 on 25 Mar 2013, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:24
433349100 wrote:
433349100 wrote:
For those who received their admit in R1. How does the letter you receive online start off with? With "Congratulations!"

Just want to prepare myself for that first millisecond when I open the decision letter. If I don't see the key word or phrase used in admit letters, I'll know I'm finished.


A gracious R1 admit shared the following first line of his/her acceptance letter:

"On behalf of Harvard Business School, it is a pleasure and a privilege to offer you a place in the MBA Class of 2015."


Given what an acceptance letter starts with, anyone care to share how a deny letter starts off?

Last edited by 433349100 on 25 Mar 2013, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
433349100 wrote:
Given what an acceptance letter starts with, anyone care to share how a deny letter starts off?


Hope you can appreciate the new low threshold I've reached for what passes as interesting these days... :lol:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 10:14
So, what are folks' guess on the # of admits HBS will give out on Wed?
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 10:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 paulmey23 78 19 Dec 2013, 11:16
410 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 tdawg 1093 21 Apr 2013, 03:11
522 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants str1der 1274 06 Jun 2012, 21:47
24 Experts publish their posts in the topic HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants pike 118 24 Oct 2012, 10:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  64    Next  [ 1275 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.