Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Anyway, any views on courses by MBAMath.com?? some testimonials claim students wid low gpa were accepted after sending in a transcript. not HBS students of course. Actually that makes much more sense than an alternative transcript because they teach quant pertinent to what a prospective student is gonna learn in B-school. I am not questioning sensibility of HBS adcom but why make a guy do a course in pure microeconomis when you can make him do a course in subjects that are exactly going to be taught in class. Wouldn't such classes boost up the academic ability of the class?? Tuck ad Cornell seem to agree and a lot of schools buy subscription to MBAMath.com What do you think is HBS adcom's take on this??

It depends on how tuff their grading is, to a large degree, schools are interested in GPA not so much as a way of finding out what you know, altho they care about some baseline quant background, but mostly to see how you do in a competitive and often boring classroom environment. Can you shut up, wave your hand on demand, and spit back the often arcane and useless jive being taught? On exams and at HBS, as comments in class. Those are excellent habits for success at business school, and for not upsetting the precious faculty, who like obedient and responsive audiences, in part because who wouldnt, and in part because they are often lazy or marginally competent themselves, so wagging doggie tails make everyone happy. The best proxy for if you will be one of those smart and prepared and un-boreable kids is GPA which you got in a competitive, real class environment. Whether you actually know MBA MATH is an afterthought. You seem like a sweet guy and a sincere one, I am not kidding about the above. College GPA is the best predictor of GPA in B school, adcoms want successful students -- they are less certain what makes a successful business person, leader, etc. That is why HBS GPA is so high, and ditto Stanford, which is even higher by a dime. Of course, high college GPA leads to great first jobs at elite IB and MC firms, so the kids w. high GPA's also often have elite jobs.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Last edited by hbsguru on 31 Aug 2012, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 06:20
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
The way you explain the psyche of the adcom is great. No wonder you are one of the revered consultants for H/S/W. . . . . Since you have such in-depth knowledge of the psyche of adcom could you tell me how does this reason sound??--
I joined service academy just out of school. when I joined I signed a contract of service for 20 years. So I knew my whole career is going to be in military. So instead of concentrating on academic subjects I concentrated on service subjects and learning team games which would be much more beneficial in my service career. I couldn't envisage practical use of academic subjects like physics and chemistry. Although I had average grades in academics due to my strong service subjects I passed out in top 10% in the academy. Before joining service academy I had grades always above 80% and after academy I have done arguably toughest course in Army and passed all my promotion exams in one go in-spite of being deployed in counter-terrorist role. Hence i feel I will be able fare well in all academic classes.

Well it does sound reasonable from my perspective but could you enumerate how adcom would look at it??

If you were ranked in top 10pct of your military academy in some metric that could be helpful. If actual GPA is low, in academic subjects, well, see my post on the importance of GPA. Saying you signed up for 20 yrs and decided not to focus on Chemistry is not an approach I would use, you should explain average or low grades, at HBS in the 500 character (not words!) space they give you, by saying 1. you were top 10 pct of some holistic grade at the academy, 2. you focused on service and leadershp parts of program, real mistake in retro, instead of balancing things; 3. add in any courses you have taken since, and try to develop an alternative transcript, esp. in stats, micro, finance, etc., not so much to show them you know that material , but b.c. it shows your ability to sit still, absorb material, spit it back, etc. which is impt to them, for reasons noted below. good luck.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
kcw984 wrote:
Sandy, would a well-balanced 760 GMAT (44V 49Q) make up for a relatively low (3.4) GPA? Also adding to that an alt. transcript with As in Calculus and Stats, how would the mix be perceived?

well, it won't hurt. nor will alt transcript. but e.g. at HBS, in general, you'd do better w. 720 GMAT and 3.8
GPA--places like MIT go for big gmats and so does Columbia, so that is another factor, as is trend of your grades, whether your parents went to college, and how much else there is to like about you.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
emmanuelle8 wrote:
Also, i explained my declining GPA's in my "what i didnt do well" part. I had a very shallow personal issue in college which i felt i didnt handle well at all (not related to something sensitive like relationships etc), which made me very insecure and is mainly the reason for drop in 4th year, affected friendships, etc. Its along the lines of "i wish i handled this istuation better". Would that be okay?

Generally speaking, this touchy feely stuff is better suited for Stanford's What Matters Most to You or What Do You Really Want to Do, assuming it has deeply affected you (which might not be the case). Not for HBS.

Here's my general advice, send me your profile so I can get a better sense of your entire candidacy: this year, you only have 800 words to tell your story and to make a COMPELLING case for why you should be admitted ahead of 9000 other applicants. Don't waste space making up for past mistakes. At best, your candidacy will go from being WEAK to neutral. That's not going to win you any support from the AdCom, no one is going to stick their neck out for your candidacy.

You have one shot to get in (re-applying is tough). With a weak profile that is not HBS' bread and butter, you need to write about something that is NOT APOLOGETIC. You need to swing for the fences / throw a Hail Mary.

HBS Grad
http://www.mbaadcom.com
formerly http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 7

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 23:11
This post received
KUDOS
Geography wrote:
str1der wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
Does anyone know how many recommenders Harvard requires? I have heard 3 but just wanted to confirm.

3 it is - Atleast two of whom need to be professional recommenders i.e. people whom you've worked with at your current/past companies. Third can be a professional recommender/a client/HBS alumnus etc.

Btw, excellent GMAT score progression there! Great stuff!!

Hi str1der / folks,

I was wondering if anyone can share where on the HBS site it mentions the number of recommenders?

It's not mentioned on the FAQ page (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/faq/)

Thanks!

From the FAQ:

"Applications - Recommendations

Who should recommendations come from?
The Admissions Board suggests that of the three recommendations, two come from professional references."

Any way its definitely three. Register to apply and you will see it asks for three recommenders.

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
Geography wrote:
str1der wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
Does anyone know how many recommenders Harvard requires? I have heard 3 but just wanted to confirm.

3 it is - Atleast two of whom need to be professional recommenders i.e. people whom you've worked with at your current/past companies. Third can be a professional recommender/a client/HBS alumnus etc.

Btw, excellent GMAT score progression there! Great stuff!!

Hi str1der / folks,

I was wondering if anyone can share where on the HBS site it mentions the number of recommenders?

It's not mentioned on the FAQ page (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/faq/)

Thanks!

Also, ALL three recommendations can be from professional recommenders i.e. from the workplace. This was clarified by the Admissions Director on her blog earlier this year.

Our instructions have been clear, but possibly only to us. We ask for three recommendations and we've pushed out guidance that we'd like two to come from professional sources. Thus, we've often been asked the question, "so who should write my third recommendation?" We've said all the normal and sensible things, like "ask someone who knows you well enough to answer the questions we pose to recommenders." That's true. Really, truly, true. But I think we have unintentionally signaled that this mysterious "Third Recommender" should come from a place in your life which is not the workplace. So the questions we were being asked were really trying to puzzle out if we wanted them from a professor, from community service, from trusted family friends. Who knew?

So, in the hope that this will add clarity, let me re-phrase our guidance: we are fine if ALL the recommendations come from the workplace. Even from the same firm.

More Here
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
rbnmba wrote:
Hi guys, was hoping to get some expert opinions on the first essay question:

Tell us about something you did well. (400 words)

How recent should this experience be? I have a very good story from 6-7 years ago before I started university but would this be viewed negatively by adcom? Any insights would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.

I am not sure if including a story from that long ago is a good idea. Of course if the thing you did well is monumental (eg: founded a startup while in school, which you sold off in college, and it inspires you towards entrepreneurship today) then thats a different issue. Most schools want recent examples (3 years is a good guideline as MIT says), especially if the experience is a professional and not a personal one.

However this is only my opinion. Wait for others to chime in before you take a final call. Cheers!

Latest Blog Entry:

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
Ichinichi wrote:
Does anyone have a rough idea of when invites typically get sent out?

Its on the director's blog. R1 invites will go out Oct 17 and Oct 24. By Oct 24th, we would have either received an invite to interview, or our app cycle would be over at Harvard as they'll in that case send out the ding email.

Latest Blog Entry:

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 15

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
hunterashmore wrote:

Let me backtrack and ask this: if I do not put my first employer or research experience (which is not completely needed, but shows I worked through school, partially explaining GPA), I can get it down to one page - but will removing that first job then be seen as a 2-year gap in employment?

This is strictly my opinion, but I would go for the two pages then, since HBS explicitly allows you that option.

Not to insult others who stuck with the 1 page resume, but since the essays and forms for extracurricular are already pretty slim, I would capitalize on the two page resumes. I doubt a ding would result solely because someone decided to go with a two pager. It's all about the content. If you have achievements that are relevant or perhaps extenuating circumstances that may confuse or cause concern for adcom, then you have the opportunity to clear it up via the resume.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
prorsum wrote:
For people w/ issues pasting. I had trouble with that too, and even sometimes my employment data wouldn't save.

I tried all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and I found IE worked for me.

I found that it worked with Firefox on Mac OS X, but not Chrome on Mac OS X, or Chrome and IE on Windows 7. I'm shocked by how bad the applyourself applications are. Considering re-writing my "Tell us about something you did well" question about the time I conquered their poorly programmed online application...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted! Wow, I think I proof checked the final PDF like a dozen times.

Now we wait. :shock:

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted! Good luck fellas... 24 / 31 days and counting....
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted as well and 2 out of 3 recs in... good luck guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 15

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted as well. I have one more recommender that has yet to send the LOR yet. I sent a nicely worded email this morning, but by the evening, might have to give a call if he doesn't submit.

Good luck to all. After reading about the decrease trend in bschool apps, this year may be a bit easier?
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Affiliations: Tau Beta Pi
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.69
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone, good luck to you all!

I'm a current student and I remember how difficult the wait is after you submit your application. The gmatclub chat was a great way to pass the time and share my anxiety with my fellow applicants. I'll try to read this thread from time to time, but if you ever want to talk, you'll almost always find me in the chat room.

The #gmatclub chat room is where all the cool kids hang out. We were using hash tags before the world wide web existed.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '15 (I)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
submitted. :) female 28 at mat/3.5/760
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 326 Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to everyone. submitted also.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 9

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
prorsum wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
Makes sense, no one even knows how the interviews will be like, and the post-interview reflection is completely based on that...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the post-interview reflection (since its due within 24hours) is adcom's way to gauge if an application used a consultant?

I would say that's at least part of the consideration. Even though they have access to AWA scores/essays, it is fairly easy enough to cruise to a 6 on that. There is much less time to "polish" the reflection to anywhere near the same level as the essays given the dynamic topic (each reflection is going to be different from the other) and the 24 hr turnaround. Not sure if you have been on any of the webinars but the HBS adcom have hinted multiple times that the admissions essays have become too constructed - probably the reason behind the essay revisions this year. So the reflection in tandem with the interview itself should provide a strong enough level of differentiation for them to make decisions.

I have seen some consultants comment that they will be "on call" during interview days to help their clients through the process, so I am not sure if the reflection will necessarily impact their use.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
You can actually copy-paste the user info table onto an Excel spreadsheet, and create a pivot table based on that, in order to get some additional statistics. For example, out of those who have indicated that they are applying in Round 1:
- 14 come from consulting
- 10 from IB
- 10 from computer SW/HW
- 5 from non-profit
- 3 from consumer products

As far as undegrad goes, we have:
- 33 engineers
- 12 economists
- 11 who studied finance
- 11 who studied business
- 8 who studied computer science
- 9 who studied sciences & maths

Regarding ages, most applicants are 26-28, with only 6 being 24 and under (surprisingly, there's someone who is either applying at 16 years old, or cannot properly complete online forms).

My profile: international applicant, male, 24 years old with 3 years experience in consumer goods at the time of matriculation. 720 GMAT, First Class Honours undergrad from a UK top ten uni, masters from Oxbridge.

A.
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2012, 07:29