Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:09
As an observer on this thread, I just have to say this bloodbath is quite discouraging and depressing. I wanted to say sorry and good luck to all of you who were dinged. Keep up the positive vibes for your other applications!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:25
machichi wrote:
As an observer on this thread, I just have to say this bloodbath is quite discouraging and depressing.

:lol:

Thanks, that cheered me up. On an ordinary forum, I'd make it my signature.

I'm still glad I tried it, otherwise I would harry myself to eternity pondering the "what if...?"

Maybe I'll reapply... at least that GMAT is good for five years.

Last edited by LibertyBell on 25 Oct 2012, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:50
duped .. sucks ...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.97

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:24
Invited!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
Ding ding ding ... this is really hard! That's what she said ;)
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 13:05
I did not apply to Harvard. But, I can empathize with those who were not invited.
All I can say is, some of you guys have 'stellar' profiles. And will eventually get into a great school anyways. For being in that 9% - a lot depends on not who you are, but how you are perceived (you can hardly change that).

I'm reminded of a quote that I read earlier today itself: "Don't worry about failures. You only have to be right once " - Drew Houston (co-founder, Dropbox)

I'm not sure how many of waitlisted guys would be happy/sad. Anyways, would you get to hear anything from adcom before the next wave of interview invites go or only on the next interview notification date?

Cheers
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 14:46
hbsguru wrote:

The vast number of HBS interveiws are done by the full time members of the admissions committee. The Menlo Park interviews are done by
HBS 'case writers' at the Western Research Center in Menlo Park. OR they were --usually two gals named Hilary and Lauren (not sure if they are still there). London interviews were done by Adcom Members and occassionally by retired adcom members living in London (e.g. Ms. Lamb), New York interviews are done by Adcom members and sometimes by one-off ringer types, just for New York, on occassion, in the past, Shanghai and Mumbai interviews were done by contract "adcoms" with backgrounds in education, etc.
(TO WIT Pauline Jennett and Charles Allen --both of whom are not doing this any more, I believe). Variants of that may happen again this year,
altho someone noted that Eileen Chang (total adcom member and Dee lady-in-waiting) will be doing Shainghai this year, as she said in an info session. Bottom line: of 1800 interviews, more or less, well, my guess is, if you take out Menlo Park (which were done by experienced adcom types who were full-time HBS case writers) boy, over 1700 were done by Queen Dee Leopold and Her Merry Band of Dillon House Ladies and Occassional Man (Adam Chase, etc.).
/

Most helpful as always - thanks Sandy
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 16:32
I'm not an applicant this year but I plan to apply in 2 years to HBS.

I've just read the 'Dinged' & 'Interviewed' threads in GMATclub and P & Q. What I want to say is all of you have stellar profiles and I'm sure if HBS doesn't take you, another great school will!

Good luck for the rest of the application season!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 17:15
Sigma26 wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

The vast number of HBS interveiws are done by the full time members of the admissions committee. The Menlo Park interviews are done by
HBS 'case writers' at the Western Research Center in Menlo Park. OR they were --usually two gals named Hilary and Lauren (not sure if they are still there). London interviews were done by Adcom Members and occassionally by retired adcom members living in London (e.g. Ms. Lamb), New York interviews are done by Adcom members and sometimes by one-off ringer types, just for New York, on occassion, in the past, Shanghai and Mumbai interviews were done by contract "adcoms" with backgrounds in education, etc.
(TO WIT Pauline Jennett and Charles Allen --both of whom are not doing this any more, I believe). Variants of that may happen again this year,
altho someone noted that Eileen Chang (total adcom member and Dee lady-in-waiting) will be doing Shainghai this year, as she said in an info session. Bottom line: of 1800 interviews, more or less, well, my guess is, if you take out Menlo Park (which were done by experienced adcom types who were full-time HBS case writers) boy, over 1700 were done by Queen Dee Leopold and Her Merry Band of Dillon House Ladies and Occassional Man (Adam Chase, etc.).
/

Most helpful as always - thanks Sandy

thanks, actually non-adcom guy's name in above post is Charles Allison, and there is rumor he may be back in New York this year. He is famous for oddball questions like
What would your friends in High School say your strenths and weaknesses were, your friends in college?
and
What is something you want to stop doing, start doing and keep doing?

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 20:03
machichi wrote:
As an observer on this thread, I just have to say this bloodbath is quite discouraging and depressing. I wanted to say sorry and good luck to all of you who were dinged. Keep up the positive vibes for your other applications!

Agreed! I feel like I'm at the Colosseum watching gladiators getting ripped apart! I'm sure those who got dinged will get into AMAZING programs, please don't despair so early in the process! I have a good friend who was just rehashing her b-school experience for me. She is pretty impressive (military academy and career, lots of leadership, great stats, etc -- also female and a minority) and she got dinged at HBS, she thinks because of age (she was in her late 20s). Had a FANTASTIC experience at Wharton, landed a super career...truly, that was Harvard's loss! I think it is just the nature of the beast...there are a LOT of great candidates.

Good luck to all who are moving on -- regroup, refocus, and go tackle that next app!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 20:58
Agreed - this is such a crapshoot and imagine the AdCom spending ~10 minutes per application only, how can they know all there is to know? Dee herself said that this is not about evaluation but selection and shaping the class.. so I guess they would let go five AWESOME candidates from the high-frequency applicant pool to get one applicant who is strong but unique in other ways (nationality, background, etc.)...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 5

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged. Actually this was on expected lines, so no worries. This whole application process has taught me a lot though, so am thankful for the experience. Waiting for the other schools to show some love.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 02:06
Denied... Faced many a setbacks, and MBA rejection just adds to the list.

Lose battles but not a war!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 03:38
Dinged, second time in 2 years :die
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 04:12
edit

Last edited by 1234321 on 02 Mar 2013, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
SAYNYC wrote:
HBS has given me my first ding. Ever! Accepted early undergrad to HYP. Applied and accepted to two HYP for graduate school. Got every job I wanted. Never really been denied anything.... Oh well. Definitely a humbling experience! I'm mostly just bummed that I have to write more essays and ask for more Recs. Still very excited about the prospect of other programs.

On to more schools Round 2, and still holding out minimal hope for Round 1 GSB. Speaking of, does anyone out there know of people denied HBS getting accepted GSB? Or do they typically get both?

The part in bold above happens all the time. You'll find examples on this forum. Also, if this was your first humbling experience, get ready for some more :) although I hope you dont have to. All the best

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 19:01
So many stellar profiles out there and I'm surprised to read that many have been dinged.

I'm curious about the importance of essays, despite the comment made by Dee Leopold - “We’ve noticed that essays can feel over-crafted, over-written, over-thought, and over-wrought"
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 20:21
For those got invited, has anyone found the "Post-Interview Reflection"link on the application page? I can't seem to find mine anywhere.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 329 Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 05:04
dcxshhf wrote:
For those got invited, has anyone found the "Post-Interview Reflection"link on the application page? I can't seem to find mine anywhere.

Probably won't be activated until your interview is my guess.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 10:05
dcxshhf wrote:

My profile doesnt even show "invited for interview," or anything similar. It still simply says, "Your application is under review. MBA Admissions will contact you if we need further information. Please note that this field will not change again until the notification date."

Is this the same for everyone else?
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2012, 10:05