Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 03:20
Shuaietrain wrote:
Can anyone elaborate on this supposed email? I didn't receive it. I don't think it's a big deal, but curious who recieved it and why. Thanks--

THIS WAS EMAIL SENT BY DEE LEOPOLD TO KIDS WHO INTERVIEWED IN NEW YORK THIS PAST WEEK-END. NOT SURE WHO ELSE GOT IT.

We look forward to meeting you at your upcoming interview. Given that it is unlikely that I will be your interviewer, I wanted to take a moment and share some thoughts with you.

First, thank you for being interested in Harvard Business School and engaged in this process. It means a lot to us.

Next, here's what you can expect from your interview. Your interviewer will be a member of the Admissions Board and will be very experienced in meeting with candidates. He/she will have read your application thoroughly. There is no formula for how an interview will be conducted or list of standard questions. Your written application will be a starting point but the conversation may not stay there very long. Your interviewer is trying to understand you and assess your ability to thrive in our case method classroom. All interviews will last thirty minutes - we try to ensure that all candidates receive an equal amount of attention. We find that the thirty minutes goes by very quickly - therefore we find it difficult to allocate time in the interview for you to ask questions. If you do have questions after your interview, you can always reach me at 617-495-6220. I don't want your questions to go unanswered.

Another thing - the post-interview reflection. Yes, this is new but it is not (not! not!) another essay or something that should cause you anxiety. Don't start multi-tasking in the interview by making a mental list of what you want to write about. My advice is to "be present" in the interview - I think you will enjoy it - and find a quiet place to sit down afterward and jot down your thoughts.

Interviews are not auditions for Harvard Business School. By this I mean that this one step in our evaluation/selection process does not supersede all other elements of your application. After your interview, the interviewer will write a report for your file and the entire application will be reviewed again. The way our model works is that slightly more than half of interviewed candidates will be offered admission.

Here's some advice:

Relax. We'll be nervous too but we will be working hard to make sure that you are comfortable and, at the end of thirty minutes, you feel understood. That is what matters.
You really can't prepare. although I know you will try! Try not to spend your time memorizing your written application or preparing a script for anticipated questions. Prior to your interview, listen to your music, take a walk. these suggestions may sound corny, but they are exactly the things I would tell you if we were meeting in person.
Also, because we will not have the opportunity to meet you on the HBS campus for your interview, Professor Rawi Abdelal, Chair of the First-year Required Curriculum, wanted a way to share his view on the distinctive HBS learning environment. As such, he recorded a video message for you.
http://video.hbs.edu/videotools/play?cl ... admissions

Let me close the way I began - thank you so much for applying to Harvard Business School. Our desire to meet you for an interview means that you are a strong applicant. I know how expensive and exhausting the application process can be. I hope that the opportunity to reflect and express yourself, both in writing and in the interview, will be seen as a valuable experience. I wish you well.

Sincerely,

Dee Leopold
Managing Director, MBA Admissions & Financial Aid
Harvard Business School

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:38

How Not To Blow Your HBS Interveiw, worthwhile article in Poets and Quants

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/17/ho ... terview-2/

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 07:15
Anyone who has had an interview want to post how it went, etc.??

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 08:53
ai115 wrote:
Did anyone receive news about being accepted to the program already? I heard from a friend that good news is started to be given out, just curious...

dude, no one is going to get accepted to round 1 at HBS until noon New York time, on December 12th and you will find out by consulting your applyyourself software for a new message, which will be a ding, an admit, or WL--someone may contact you shortly after that with congrats, etc.
That has been past practice (since online apps) and I fully expect that to be the practice this year. HBS does not call kids in advance.
They would cert not admit kids before entire interview cohort has been interviewed which has not happened yet (by a longshot).

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:08
any thoughts on the post-interview reflection for those of us interviewing? They keep stressing how informal it is, etc, but I don't really know how to approach. It doesn't seem like telling a story like regular essays, so is it just "I thought my interview went well/not well for the following reasons...." (obviously not that exact wording but seems a little rigid)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:35
sssdddhhh wrote:
any thoughts on the post-interview reflection for those of us interviewing? They keep stressing how informal it is, etc, but I don't really know how to approach. It doesn't seem like telling a story like regular essays, so is it just "I thought my interview went well/not well for the following reasons...." (obviously not that exact wording but seems a little rigid)

The prompt is YOU JUST HAD YOUR HBS INTERVIEW, HOW WELL DID WE GET TO KNOW YOU? or sumpthing real close to that, and the answer is, "Pretty well, here's what you got to know, BUT here are some things I'd like to point out, expand, all color to, etc. .." Throw in a thank you someplace, and done. I dont think this exercise counts a whole lot to be honest, based on my exp. w. summer round doing the same drill (2+2) and looking over some answers already done by kids for Round 1, and just reading between the lines of Dee Leopolds messaging on this part of the app.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 13:58
hbsguru wrote:

as to who is conducting HBS interviews in various locales. seems like Laura M. and Hilary S. are back in Menlo Park.
sk

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 329 Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 14:01
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

as to who is conducting HBS interviews in various locales. seems like Laura M. and Hilary S. are back in Menlo Park.
sk

Is that a good thing?

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 14:20
daltcap wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

sk

Is that a good thing?

YES, the whole danger in an HBS interview is blowing it by getting lost or rattled or giving canned anwswers. the chances of that go up if you get a less seasoned interviewer, esp. one who asks atypical and oddball questions, which more often happens in non-campus locations. Both Laura and Hilary have done lots of intervies, ask pretty straight and resume/leadership based questions, and have a large personal data base of exp. by which to judge your responses. SO it becomes a more stable and less "one-off" experience. On balance are good things. You can still screw up, but that will likely be your fault. Not a situation where some newbie started off the interview by saying, "Here's a piece of paper, write down 3 things that make you tick, 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. " Variants of those "stress" type deals have happened, altho infrequently, and they seem to me to be unfair vs. guy in next room who is asked, "Walk me thru your resume . . . "

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Current Student

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 17:31
daltcap wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

sk

Is that a good thing?

How does one interpret anything from the interview? At least in my experience (on campus), it was relatively straightforward (no curveballs), and the interviewers were SUPER nice. Seems like she was able to get through all the questions and asked me in the end whether I had any expected questions.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 22:21
For those of you applying in Round 2, how is the essay writing going? Are there any fellow M/B/B-ers out there struggling with the essay questions and how to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the pack?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 06:24
Just finished my interview and it went well! I am in finance and had some calls made to admissions in advance so it was much more of a formality I think. I also prepared a lot (hired several consultants and got pretty much all the questions before) Fingers crossed!
Current Student

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 09:30
pacificislander wrote:
Just finished my interview and it went well! I am in finance and had some calls made to admissions in advance so it was much more of a formality I think. I also prepared a lot (hired several consultants and got pretty much all the questions before) Fingers crossed!

Great! Good luck...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 10:17
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 16:29
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I would highly recommend not making calls or having any made on your behalf.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 03:08
Expert's post
emont wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

Yep ditto. Although maybe a very short email showing support could sometimes be good (and maybe not so much for Harvard, other schools might like that more)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 09:49
JonAdmissionado wrote:
emont wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

Yep ditto. Although maybe a very short email showing support could sometimes be good (and maybe not so much for Harvard, other schools might like that more)

HBS does accept letters of support, but I was told that it should be faxed, mailed, or dropped off with admissions in person. It needs to also clearly state in the title something to the effect of "Letter of support for <your full name>" to ensure it makes it in with your file.
Current Student

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:21
Most of the interviews are probably done by now. Anyone aware of how the Adcom filters after this phase? How do they weed out the 40% of the people from the interviewee group that eventually don't make it? Has to be more than just the interview performance.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:54
KillerApp wrote:
Most of the interviews are probably done by now. Anyone aware of how the Adcom filters after this phase? How do they weed out the 40% of the people from the interviewee group that eventually don't make it? Has to be more than just the interview performance.

More about creating a class identity than anything else. I'm sure some people didn't perform well during the interview and will get cut, the rest will just be about them liking your profile in terms of what it contributes to the class. Just need a little luck at this point.
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 09:00
Would love to hear from current students about the financial aid process at HBS. I know they say about 50% of people receive on avg 29,000/yr, but it is hard to estimate where one falls on that scale. Was your experience that this was spread across most candidates or that a select few got a huge portion of aid?

My wife was not working the past couple years while getting her MHSA. I have been working a roughly avg engineering salary out of school and will have worked just shy of ~3 years. We saved somewhere in the range of 20% of my salary during that time period (would have been higher if not for a wedding!) She is graduating with her own debt, as well. Does it make sense to move some of that cash savings towards paying down her loan before applying for aid at HBS to lower our current assets? Or will it be viewed the same in terms of net assets from the financial aid people?

Thanks for the insights!
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 09:00