Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 790 Q V
GPA: 3.2
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 16:38
From my understanding and Dee Leopold's debrief at the end of the day, the interview write-up is added to your file. The adcoms then decide based on your overall profile. They made a recommendation and it goes to Dee Leopold who has the final say. I wonder if the interview has more weight? Any ideas?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 12:42
KillerApp wrote:
Most of the interviews are probably done by now. Anyone aware of how the Adcom filters after this phase? How do they weed out the 40% of the people from the interviewee group that eventually don't make it? Has to be more than just the interview performance.

Dee literally said that we are all pink folders (apparently round 1 = pink folder) and we spend many hours in her bedroom in various piles and groupings until she comes to a final decision. For some reason, this image really makes me laugh! Please let my pink folder end up in the "right" pile!! :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 14:13
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I had pretty senior people do it, and they told me the interview would be a formality and they would get me in. so lucked out in the process it seems. thanks for support.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 14:42
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:
congrats on a good interview. when you say it was just a formality what do you mean? do u think that connections and calls help that much? how do y'all know when to make calls or risk annoying the adcom?

I had pretty senior people do it, and they told me the interview would be a formality and they would get me in. so lucked out in the process it seems. thanks for support.

Awesome, congrats then! Our chances just went down ever so slightly! :P
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 16:00
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

:shock: Are you related to someone famous, or have some other connection?

The MBA application process summed up in 20 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-s2tLbqlOc

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
huntzman wrote:
pacificislander wrote:
bestmidwest wrote:

:shock: Are you related to someone famous, or have some other connection?

C'mon guys. Bit of scepticism on this one.

My Debrief

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
Haha, that's what I thought. Let's say you have those amazing connections into HBS. Why would you go on the internet and let everyone know that you are gaming the system? Either you are a first rate, arrogant d*** that will give HBS a bad reputation in the future or you are just having fun spilling lies on the internet. In any case, I think schools these days try to make an effort to keep legacy and nepotistic admissions more to a minimum, although arguably there will always be people that can game the system.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 10:08
astatin wrote:
Just wondering, any HBS 2+2 candidates here?

I am applying in R2 for 2+2-not done my gmat as yet getting the essays together-is it a good time to apply-looks like it's a bleak year for B schools-or am i wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 10:11
lilchamp87 wrote:
astatin wrote:
Just wondering, any HBS 2+2 candidates here?

I am applying in R2 for 2+2-not done my gmat as yet getting the essays together-is it a good time to apply-looks like it's a bleak year for B schools-or am i wrong?

BTW is there any round that's more advantageous to apply in? or is everyone gonna have the same chances?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 11:10
Quote:

How Not To Blow Your HBS Interveiw, worthwhile article in Poets and Quants
http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/17/ho ... terview-2/

How does one interpret anything from the interview? At least in my experience (on campus), it was relatively straightforward (no curveballs), and the interviewers were SUPER nice. Seems like she was able to get through all the questions and asked me in the end whether I had any expected questions.

As noted in article above the interview mostly DINGS people, HBS uses it to filter out people who 1. cannot speak English, 2. who would not be a productive member of case method discussion, a more subjective category, which usually means that you gave canned or insincere answers in the interview. When Dee gives feedback to dinged candidates, it is almost always the INTERVIEW that she mentions. Her typical remarks are, We did not feel you were in the moment, answers seemed scripted, etc. or words to that effect. If you think you did well in the interview, you probably did, unless you were self-delusional, most people know when they screw up the HBS interview (but not all). They take 6 out of 10 peeps interview (1000 out of 1800).
About 2 out of 10 screw up the interview in some way, the rest become real tuff judgment calls bases on class mix, country and gender mix, how you do vs. your cohort (consultants), need for science and manufacturing types vs. finance types, etc. With rare cases of admits with pull, etc. (rec later by powerful donor, alum, hiring partner) legacy (does not count much by itself) etc. Often real, real subjective brew Ms Leopold has to manage, and you would not want to press her on last admit fr. each category vs. first ding fr. same category, what are the diffs?? Nor could you expllain that either in any compelling case if you were she.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Ugh - this is such a horrible time... the agonizing wait. I interviewed almost a month ago and it's so easy to replay that interview over and over again wishing I used a stronger example here or there. Alas, no going back. Only keeping my fingers crossed for a positive decision in December.

Sandy - your response above is helpful to put that into perspective. The interview is less about getting yourself in, it's more about not getting cut.
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [7] , given: 3

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
@HBSguru.... love your direct style, your track record and approach...

but sometimes reading your posts, and blogs, and edits... I sometimes wonder how you ever passed 5th grade....

(hoping not to start a flammatory thread... but I dont know what others think)
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 09:05
Dear Harvard Business School,

Once you've rejected me, it kind of adds insult to injury when I'm still on your Google AdWords remarketing campaign.

Getting sick of seeing HBS ads everywhere I go on the web!

Cheers,
That girl you rejected in round 1

;)
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 07:45
esdykes wrote:
Ugh - this is such a horrible time... the agonizing wait. I interviewed almost a month ago and it's so easy to replay that interview over and over again wishing I used a stronger example here or there. Alas, no going back. Only keeping my fingers crossed for a positive decision in December.

Sandy - your response above is helpful to put that into perspective. The interview is less about getting yourself in, it's more about not getting cut.

This wait is slowly killing me. The next three weeks are going to pass by so slowly. How are you all dealing with the anxiety?
Current Student

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:54
schroedes wrote:
esdykes wrote:

This wait is slowly killing me. The next three weeks are going to pass by so slowly. How are you all dealing with the anxiety?

Totally agreed - it is actually very painful. Feel like we should just sleep for the next 3 weeks and wake up on 12/12... :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 329 Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 12:47
Anyone else interview in California?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.79
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 09:09
Random question, but did anyone who interviewed receive a response to their thank you note from their interviewer? Am not talking about the post-interview reflection obviously..
Current Student

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 09:52
ja42785 wrote:
Random question, but did anyone who interviewed receive a response to their thank you note from their interviewer? Am not talking about the post-interview reflection obviously..

I dont think we are supposed to. They gave us a generic email to reply to.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 09:57
daltcap wrote:
Anyone else interview in California?

I did interview in CA. Did anyone else get Dee's email about what to expect next?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 10:14
I treated the reflection itself as the thank you note to my interviewer.

Did you all send a thank you note to the generic email provided in addition to the reflection?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 10:14