Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 17:23
I have been a silent observer (sans account) on this board for a few months now... decided to join today and post because like everyone else above me, I feel like this wait is bruttttallll!!!!

Figured I might as well join in the lamenting and maybe the next two weeks will go by faster! Glad I'm not the only one that has been replaying the interview over and over in my head... can't help but think that I should have replied differently at some points or maybe should have said this, or not said that. Basically just torturing myself!

Anyways - to further give us something to ponder the next 14 days, how do you guys/gals suspect the process goes after the interview? I know the interviewer(s) will do a write-up and then the committee reviews it again, but do you think the interviewer(s) basically put in a recommendation one way or the other (accept/ding), and then it's up to the committee to side with or oppose this recommendation?

Just curious as to how it plays out - whether the person(s) who interviewed us carry more weight in terms of making the decision or whether it really does go back to the committee again for a fresh look at the WHOLE application (vs. focusing just on the interview). Don't mean to rehash an old point as I know this has been discussed previously but it just seems odd that they wouldn't let the interviewer(s) make an initial recommendation and instead go back to square one in terms of re-evaluating all interviewed applicants.

For instance, I think at some other schools each applicant is rated on a point system in different areas, with the interview helping to round out these ratings (meaning that prior the interview there is already some sense of who is a stronger applicant vs. who isn't) - I could be completely wrong but I did recall reading this somewhere.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 17:38
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 18:12
sid05 wrote:
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.


That does make sense... you are probably right that luck is a huge factor in this home stretch. Here's to hoping we all get just enough luck to get us in!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 21:35
ugeman229 wrote:
sid05 wrote:
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.


That does make sense... you are probably right that luck is a huge factor in this home stretch. Here's to hoping we all get just enough luck to get us in!


Hear that!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 22:48
KillerApp wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:
sid05 wrote:
My guess is the interviewer's notes and a write-up/score sheet on the candidate are added to the file and the whole thing is re-evaluated as they said. In my mind, the interview serves 2 main purposes:

1. Make sure the candidate has good command of the English language (for the case method) and can perform under a little pressure
2. Illuminate more of the candidate's background - especially important for people with similar backgrounds (i.e. the droves of consultants/bankers/etc. that apply)

I highly doubt a slightly better story/answer would make a difference (though I have replayed mine in my head as well). You just want to come off as well-spoken and not a jerk. I do think there is some luck required in the next step when they piece together the class.


That does make sense... you are probably right that luck is a huge factor in this home stretch. Here's to hoping we all get just enough luck to get us in!


Hear that!


Agree 100%. Some minutes of the day, this thought helps. Other minutes it hurts.

Very reassuring to see that I'm not alone in the thoughts re: interview, reflection, agonizing wait, etc. I'm really hoping for good news for all of us in just 2 (very long) weeks.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1742
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 692

Kudos [?]: 3057 [0], given: 890

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 13:37
Expert's post

Live Essay Writing Workshop, presented by Admissionado


Sigh. The MBA Application essays. Who thought it was a good idea to ask people to write 2000 words before they even get INTO school? Turns out, it doesn’t matter, because someone did… and now you have to come up with the most compelling and memorable essays about leadership that you can. And then do it again for every school you apply to.

It’s not easy, but this upcoming event should help. Submit your MBA Application essay to have an opportunity to have it reviewed for free by the team at Admissionado. Three essays will be selected, and if you are one of the lucky ones, you will have the opportunity to go through your essay with Phillip Herring (admissions expert and CBS MBA) in a live session. You will need to be OK with sharing your essay with attendees (don’t worry – we’ll keep your name/private info out of it), and available and online at the time of the event to chat it up with Phillip. Even if you aren’t selected, listen in, because there will still be plenty of essay advice to go around.

Submit your essay to lauren@admissionado.com by Monday, December 3. You will find out if you are selected by Wednesday, December 5. Then join the live event on Thursday, December 6 at 6pm PST. Register Now [FREE!]
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 07:22
stoweker wrote:
For those of you in NYC... my girlfriend (HBS '11) is hosting a young alumni holiday formal tomorrow night. It should be a fun event as well as a good opportunity to network with 200+ recent grads.


Thanks, stoweker . My boyfriend and I will be there! Worst case, we're at an open bar party... worth a shot!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 12:40
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys think they differentiate between waitlisted candidates post and pre interview? Seems like they will waitlist ~100 people after the interview, but already have folks waiting from October. Do you think people with interviews have an advantage?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 12:51
KillerApp wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys think they differentiate between waitlisted candidates post and pre interview? Seems like they will waitlist ~100 people after the interview, but already have folks waiting from October. Do you think people with interviews have an advantage?



Good question. I wonder what leads the adcom to waitlist applicants w/o interviewing them...maybe the applicant has a good story/stats but there aren't enough interview slots to extend an invitation in a particular round? a good applicant all things considered, but weaker than his/her industry/country peer group?

I understand interviewing an applicant, then waitlisting to see what R2 applicants look like, but the idea of waitlisting without an interview seems odd to me.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 13:07
schroedes wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys think they differentiate between waitlisted candidates post and pre interview? Seems like they will waitlist ~100 people after the interview, but already have folks waiting from October. Do you think people with interviews have an advantage?



Good question. I wonder what leads the adcom to waitlist applicants w/o interviewing them...maybe the applicant has a good story/stats but there aren't enough interview slots to extend an invitation in a particular round? a good applicant all things considered, but weaker than his/her industry/country peer group?

I understand interviewing an applicant, then waitlisting to see what R2 applicants look like, but the idea of waitlisting without an interview seems odd to me.


Yeah, and I am assuming that they have less of a waitlist in R2 (as they have seen ~90-95% of applicants by then), so I am thinking they have a total waitlist of 200 people (mostly from R1) from which they admit 25-50. This 200 is probably comprised of the pre and post interview R1 folks.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 20:45
ugeman229 wrote:
For US applicants - remember Thanksgiving? Seems pretty recent, right?

The period of time that has elapsed between Thxgiving and today is the same amount of time FROM today when we will find out our fate at HBS.

Yes... I am a huge tool.


Hahaha - this is EXACTLY what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks.. :P gives you some peace...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 09:07
hunterashmore wrote:
esdykes wrote:
I was trying to describe how painful the wait is to some friends that are not applying to B-Schools. I ended up telling them that it's like training for the Olympics. You've just competed in the gold medal round and now, you have to wait 1 month to see the judges scores.


I feel it is more like the dentist telling me "You need to have a root canal in a few weeks, but there is a chance I will not have anesthetics available when you come in." (following that analogy, I'm just ready for this toothache to be gone)


Haha, nicely put!

Which of you are planning to apply R2? If so, how are the apps coming? I feel like I cant get myself to progress at all, such a weird feeling...
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 81
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 09:23
KillerApp wrote:
Which of you are planning to apply R2? If so, how are the apps coming? I feel like I cant get myself to progress at all, such a weird feeling...


I started my R2 apps...but I completely share your lack of enthusiasm.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:04
So, we're 7 days out from decision day. How will you all celebrate if accepted?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:10
daltcap wrote:
schroedes wrote:
So, we're 7 days out from decision day. How will you all celebrate if accepted?


DRINK .. it has been a long year ...



I have my company xmas party that Friday... it'll be drinking in celebration or drinking to drown my sorrows...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:16
My work Xmas party is exactly on dec 12th! Hopefully it's a "sign"!

Exactly one week to go, 7 days, or 168 hours....

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 84
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:24
daltcap wrote:
schroedes wrote:
So, we're 7 days out from decision day. How will you all celebrate if accepted?


DRINK .. it has been a long year ...


I'm trying to decide if I'll even be functioning enough to get myself to work on Wednesday. My office does not know that I'm applying and I'm sure I'll either be distraught (better to be at home) or so excited that I can't contain it (also better to be at home).

If accepted, I'm promptly going out to get a nice bottle of champagne and toast myself on exceeding even my wildest expectations.

I agree daltcap - it's been a long year. A very long year.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 81
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 11:39
*sigh* I will be in the middle of a week-long business trip to rural Kentucky - when the email comes out I will be driving through the woods, trapped in a car with my boss...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 11:45
hunterashmore wrote:
*sigh* I will be in the middle of a week-long business trip to rural Kentucky - when the email comes out I will be driving through the woods, trapped in a car with my boss...


Sounds like the beginning of a slasher flick right there.

If accepted, I'm going to celebrate by getting a nice massage. It'll finally be time to de-stress after 7+ months.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 16:43
schroedes wrote:
So, we're 7 days out from decision day. How will you all celebrate if accepted?


I'll be in the field and won't know right away!! Horrible timing.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 16:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 paulmey23 78 19 Dec 2013, 11:16
411 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 tdawg 1093 21 Apr 2013, 03:11
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants str1der 1274 06 Jun 2012, 21:47
24 Experts publish their posts in the topic HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants pike 118 24 Oct 2012, 10:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  64    Next  [ 1275 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.