Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:44

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.47
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Jinglander wrote:
Anyone WL from rd 1 get a invite today?

yeah I was waitlisted round 1 and got an invite today.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
noHBSinvite wrote:
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Last edited by kingfalcon on 30 Jan 2013, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 80 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
noHBSinvite wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Understood. But had significant help (incl paid consultants), and spent a ton of time on them.

@hunterashmore thanks for your offer. I have a 3.65 from Notre Dame/Northwestern/Emory type school,710 (q45, v41). Worked in investment banking for two years at a top bank (gs/ms/jp morgan), then did my third year -- this year -- in a special assistant type role to a sr person at the firm (think coo/cfo/head of investment banking type level). Also had nationally recognized nonprofit leadership, etc. Also an hbs legacy. Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what I should be doing differently. For when I apply again in 2-3 years. Thank you. Sorry for the essay, just crushed about it.

Posted from my mobile device Image

I believe this post from R1 is relevant:

dwal44 wrote:
There are people who are disappointed right now after not hearing anything who definitely WILL get into HBS. There are people who are elated right now who will definitely NOT get into HBS.

My Debrief

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Well I'm definitely on the old end of the spectrum but I got an invitation to interview. Pretty stoked! Now I gotta wait and see for Stanford and Haas.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [2] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
rodrigoj wrote:
hunterashmore wrote:
rodrigoj wrote:
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!

out of curiosity, who told you that you were too old (I'm also 31, btw).

I don't think it hurts your chances per se, but I felt being on campus helped. Not just from an interview standpoint - you can do a class visit, tour campus and Boston, and get a feel for the type of people you will be surrounded by for the next two years. That whole experience made me even more sure that HBS is where I want to be, and I honestly think that kind of excitement helps when you interview.

I have a few friends who are my age but have already graduated from their MBA at a top 5 schools, and they told me that my odds were very slim due to my age. I realize they probably aren't the most knowledgable people on the subject...

I leaning heavily towards going to campus despite the costs, and what you said makes perfect sense if you get excited about the program that enthusiasm will most likely help in the interview.

Thanks again!

Average age at top MBA programs is mostly a function of average age of applicants. Think back to your freshman year courses at undergrad--probably didn't have many 22 year-olds sitting next to you, right? That's because most people applying to undergrad are in the 17-19 age range.

Same deal for MBA programs. Most "traditional" applicants to top business schools finish undergrad, head to a big-name bank or consulting firm, and get on a track that leads them to business school 2-4 years later if they're a top performer. If someone has been at Goldman or McKinsey for 8 years and hasn't been admitted to business school, then it's probably because they haven't stood out (relative to their peers) to the extent necessary to impress an adcom. So when they're applying at the age of 30, it raises some red flags....namely, "why didn't this guy start his MBA 4 years ago?"

Non-traditional applicants (engineers, entrepreneurs, military, Teach for America, etc.) aren't on the same standard career timeline, so they're not "penalized" for applying later in life.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
FrozenTongue wrote:
Guys, when signing up for the interview, there was a link/tickbox to the side which said "HBS interview policy"... did it work for anyone? Is it a bad idea to communicate kindly to Ad Com that the link doesnt work?? (or will it be frowned upon as arrogance?)

if you send an email saying "your link to the HBS interview policy is down" it could be viewed as arrogant. If you say something along the lines of "while signing up for the interview I was unable to access the HBS interview policy link. I tried browsers x/y/z (with one of them being IE) to no avail. Would it be possible for someone to shoot be a digital version of the interview policy for my review before I attend an on-campus interview?" it's significantly better.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 80 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages ... ector.aspx

Latest post says the 6th (moved from the 7th) for both

My Debrief

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
R1 applicant waitlisted without interview. Just got an invite! Thrilled!!!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Dingleberried...all up in my face.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 3

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
So I just came back from my interview this morning in New York. First thing that happens:

Interviewer - "Hello, My name is Dee Leopold"
In my head - "Holy shit!"

So yeah, I had the distinct privilege of getting interviewed by the Dean of Admissions herself.

The interview itself was really, really chill. I had two people, and Dee was leading the interview while her colleague was taking notes. Dee was incredibly friendly throughout. I had prepped really hard with the Harbus interview guide and while it was useful just to have thought about these questions, not a lot of the questions I prepped for actually came up. We just talked a lot about my background and my high school and college choices. I am a first generation immigrant / first to go to college, so I think that was why. I also talked about my senior thesis in college, and walked her through some of our positions (I work at a hedge fund). We also talked a lot about my outside hobbies, and some book recommendations. Finally, she did ask - "What due diligence have you done on HBS" which gave me the opportunity to talk about why I wanted to go there.

Overall, the interview was very tailored to my application and what I had written in my essays. There were some more oddball questions like - "Who was your best friend in high school and why." But just a very nice, pleasant conversation overall. I really felt like they were trying to get to know me instead of grilling me with hard questions.

And perhaps of interest to other interviewees, Dee asked me what I was going to do for the rest of the day, and said explicitly - "don't say the post-interviewer reflection." Which I think speaks to how this is not supposed to be an additional personal essay, and more like an email to reflect on the interview.

So I just have my fingers (and toes) crossed until Match 27th!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 12

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
433349100 wrote:
Any other R2 interviewees reading through the progression of R1 interviewees, earlier in this forum? A terrible way to bide time... :)

Hang in there! As soon as the wait is over and you get the good news from HBS, the race starts again with all your pre-matriculation activities such as the housing lotteries, financial aid applications, student loan apps, etc. :D
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 142

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
I think you should reapply next year, just to get that Manager status. I don't mind using your Tuck admit in the meantime.

This is neat! Hit my 50th post, and I jump to three and become a "Manager" :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
WE: Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
I am debating going on a 4 day long bender... Wouldn't it be nice to skip the next few days and wake up on Wednesday morning?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 5

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
The admitted students site is set and done for the R2 admits, hope to see a good bunch of you joining us in some minutes...
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 21

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Dee as well. Anyone else in New York heading to the Harvard club tomorrow?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in! R1 wait listed applicant that was wait listed prior to interview.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 3

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
bluegmat700 wrote:
I'm in!!!!! yeah!!!! so happy!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Congrats! Also, I love how we have the same admit/reject stats for the schools we applied too. Seriously, who needs Columbia/Stanford anyways. :P
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Getting back to my senses.. Miracles do happen. :)
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
bluegmat700 wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
bluegmat700 wrote:
Has anyone received the admit package in the mail? What does it contain? Just curious! :-D

Just the offer letter and a black binder with a notepad...classy, isnt it?

Thanks! I haven't gotten it yet! I was just curious, I'm also sort of waiting to receive the official letter before I turn down my other acceptances. I heard somewhere that the only binding document is the physical letter not the online one. I guess I'm still internalizing my acceptance; it still feels unreal. :)

Trust me, it continues to feel unreal after you get the physical letter and binder :)
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
Lets get this party started!