Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 05:32
HI All,

I'm in Round 2, also.
I just read the admission director's thread, and it actually made me even more anxious. In less than a month you're either out or still have a slight chance...

Does anyone know if there are any stats on how many applicants for R2 and how many invitations will be send out?

Another quick question: Do you guys give a call to the admission office to make sure they received the official score reports for TOEFL and GMAT? Do you think that's necessary?

Good luck to all!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 13:23
KillerApp wrote:
Welcome to the 'Club', snowedinboston! And congratulations! Are you not coming to the ASW next week?

Will be there KillerApp, both days. Should also be hosting another admitted girl at my apartment; I'm excited!

Was at a Boston-area breakfast before Christmas hosted by Admissions, and I organized a pretty good roundup of 20-25 Boston-area admits for drinks (there are quite a few more than that though, including cross-enrolled students with HMS/HKS/HLS). I can tell you, expect Bostonians to rep our home city well at ASW :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 18:41
So if we don't hear anything on Wednesday Jan 30th it's really unlikely we get an interview. Is that the consensus given how the previous round invites have been staggered?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 18:55
bulls011 wrote:
So if we don't hear anything on Wednesday Jan 30th it's really unlikely we get an interview. Is that the consensus given how the previous round invites have been staggered?

Yes. I think about 80% of invites are the first wave and 20% the second. So unlikely but not impossible. I guess it's better stated as unpredictable, just like the whole admissions process.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 19:25
machichi wrote:
bulls011 wrote:

Yes. I think about 80% of invites are the first wave and 20% the second. So unlikely but not impossible. I guess it's better stated as unpredictable, just like the whole admissions process.

Thanks. Reading that blog post made me nervous! Good luck to everyone.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 20:52
bulls011 wrote:

I was in the second round...that was a pretty painful week. Knowing the odds for each date really will not help - from your pespective as an individual data point it is all a binary process - you are through this round or you are not, and you wont know until the last date.

I think it is too early to be worrying about this, honestly. Take up yoga or tai chi and try to relax and keep you mind clear. It is out of your hands for now, so take a deep breath and try not to overanalyze it (though I know I scoured every word of every blog post - lol).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 21:06
hunterashmore
Weren't you in round 1?! Or did you apply round 2 last year? Either ways congrats on getting through this painful phase and most definitely on the admit!
I can't sleep until February 7th I think!!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 21:18
dpulavarthi wrote:
hunterashmore
Weren't you in round 1?! Or did you apply round 2 last year? Either ways congrats on getting through this painful phase and most definitely on the admit!

He meant that he was in the second batch of invitations in the first round.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 21:22
scleraxis wrote:
dpulavarthi wrote:
hunterashmore

He meant that he was in the second batch of invitations in the first round.

right - many of you who just applied will be my classmates in August :-D
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 21:37
snowedinboston wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
Welcome to the 'Club', snowedinboston! And congratulations! Are you not coming to the ASW next week?

Will be there KillerApp, both days. Should also be hosting another admitted girl at my apartment; I'm excited!

Was at a Boston-area breakfast before Christmas hosted by Admissions, and I organized a pretty good roundup of 20-25 Boston-area admits for drinks (there are quite a few more than that though, including cross-enrolled students with HMS/HKS/HLS). I can tell you, expect Bostonians to rep our home city well at ASW :)

Excellent on both accounts! Can't wait to meet you next week!
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.89

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 06:01
to the round 1 applicants, how soon did you guys hear back from HBS after the deadline? so anxious
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.89

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 06:52
@sunshineavenue
Thank you
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:47
I'm in the early stages but I have to say that I really like Harvard's application process. My boss is a Harvard MBA and said the interview process is intense but really effective, and the written app is about as long as I'd like it to be. Waiting until invitations are sent out is the most painful part.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.44
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 14:29
Hey international R1ers. I have a very important question. Was Harvard adcom in the hub cities the entire interview season, or were they in each city for a specific date range?
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 20:03
Hi guys,

This is a continuation of a questions i asked a while back. I just received my AWA and integrated reasoning scores (which i previously submitted as 0.0).
How do i update my scores on my HBS application which i've already submitted.

I've tried to call through to the admission office, but am constantly redirected to the voice mail.
Does anybody know what i should do? Or whether i need to take any action at all?

esdykes wrote:
schroedes wrote:
Intlstudent85 wrote:
Hi guys,

I only did my GMAT a week ago and haven't received my AWA and integrated reasoning scores yet.
As an international student, i'm pretty desperate to make sure my submission is in R2.

When i was keying in my unofficial scores on the HBS MBA website, they kept prompting me for numerical values (i couldn't put NA) for the AWA and integrated reasoning category.
How can i still submit in R2 without having these scores?

With the deadline so close, does anybody have any advice?

Might be worth an email/call to admissions with the deadline being so close. You might also try using a different browser to input this section of your app.

I just saw a new FAQ post from Dee on the HBS website. She said to use 0.0 if you do not have the official scores yet.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:07
Time is moving so slow, I have normal stats, nothing special but I was told I have a very unique story and background and I have good chances at HBS. Now I have noticed two spelling mistakes on my application, Am I out? how serious do they take these typos??
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:07
Quote:
Hello hbsguru,

The following is an e-mail sent to you by via your account on "GMAT Club Forum".
Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[As to your mock interveiw service for HBS ]
If I was lucky enough to get an invite on the 30th of Jan, when shall I schedule? how much prep takes.

Thank you

1. Make an appt for your interview with HBS
2. send me a resume and include date and time and place of interview.
3. I will suggest some times and dates.
4. We sched the interview, at some point you send me the entire HBS app you submitted, and that is the basis of the \
mock interview. Details are on my website,
http://www.hbsguru.com/prices.html#4good luck.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:40
Mahmoud80 wrote:
Time is moving so slow, I have normal stats, nothing special but I was told I have a very unique story and background and I have good chances at HBS. Now I have noticed two spelling mistakes on my application, Am I out? how serious do they take these typos??

Honestly, your 650 is really low for Harvard/Stanford. That should be your bigger concern.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 16:18

Last edited by MBANut on 09 Aug 2013, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 22:27
MBANut wrote:
Does anyone know of an instance when a candidate has been laid off due to company downsizing during the application process and was still admitted? As in, the person lost his/her job after the application has been submitted but before interviews? How should one manage such scenario? I expect that you would have to disclose this information during the interview but does the adcom expect you to have another job/opportunity lined up? It's also a sticky situation to be looking for a permanent position now when you're expecting to relocate in the summer to enroll in school. What's the ideal scenario in this case in the eyes of the adcom, if there even is one?

I'd say get into action and find a good job asap for 2 reasons.
1st there is no 100% confirmation that you will get admitted. In this case you will probably start looking for a job in March which may then look awkward to your prospective employer.
2nd if you get a job, you can boldly tell your interviewer that yes I got layed off because of downsizing which is very natural these days but I had the ability and the market demand to get reabsorbed by a more reputed (if possible) employer. This will certainly add more weight to it. Atleast to me it would.
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 22:27