Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 11:35
WillTravelForMBA wrote:
Does everyone have this when they log out?

"Post Interview Reflection: In-Progress"

Seems like it's default record for everyone now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.17
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 12:18
No invite for me :( Pretty disappointed, but still hopeful for my other schools.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 12:59
epesesse wrote:
Hi again,

Sorry to insist, but I have a real issue here; I had a server crash at the time the invitation has been sent out.
The admission office refuses to provide me with my admission status, so no solution on that side either.

Is there any other information, somewhere, that indicates that you have been invited to an interview? Such as in the application file for example?

If someone has some info on this, that would be VERY nice of him/her!!

Many thanks

In the invite email it says "You will receive your official interview invitation via e-mail from us tomorrow, Thursday, January 31 at 12:00PM ET with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to sign-up for a specific interview slot at that time."

So just be ready at noon tomorrow and see if it comes? good luck
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 13:56
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:02
noHBSinvite wrote:
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.

If you share your stats and we can certainly try to venture a guess.

And again, there is still next week.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
noHBSinvite wrote:

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Last edited by kingfalcon on 30 Jan 2013, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (S)

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:03
equestrian wrote:
epesesse wrote:
Hi again,

Sorry to insist, but I have a real issue here; I had a server crash at the time the invitation has been sent out.
The admission office refuses to provide me with my admission status, so no solution on that side either.

Is there any other information, somewhere, that indicates that you have been invited to an interview? Such as in the application file for example?

If someone has some info on this, that would be VERY nice of him/her!!

Many thanks

In the invite email it says "You will receive your official interview invitation via e-mail from us tomorrow, Thursday, January 31 at 12:00PM ET with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to sign-up for a specific interview slot at that time."

So just be ready at noon tomorrow and see if it comes? good luck

Hi Equestrian,

Thank you very much for the advice! That should solve the problem, indeed!

Congrats for your invitation!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to everyone who got an invite today!! Please don't forget to update your profile, so it shows on the front page.
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:19
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Understood. But had significant help (incl paid consultants), and spent a ton of time on them.

@hunterashmore thanks for your offer. I have a 3.65 from Notre Dame/Northwestern/Emory type school,710 (q45, v41). Worked in investment banking for two years at a top bank (gs/ms/jp morgan), then did my third year -- this year -- in a special assistant type role to a sr person at the firm (think coo/cfo/head of investment banking type level). Also had nationally recognized nonprofit leadership, etc. Also an hbs legacy. Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what I should be doing differently. For when I apply again in 2-3 years. Thank you. Sorry for the essay, just crushed about it.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:21
Should add I realize a 710/3.65 isn't off the charts, but felt that my extracurricular stuff was what would really separate me. Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:33
noHBSinvite wrote:

NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU BUT IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE

1 you actually have an unclear+ incorrect idea of what a typical "should get interview" profile is.
2. your recs were sub-par (compared to recs fr. peer group) and also hinted at
deal-breaker reasons which were in your app, e.g. smart but not team player, wld not be good in
case method setting for lotsa intangible reasons--all of this real, real subtle, but one small fart can kill you in this setting
3. you are in a disliked or over-crowded sector (finance) and again lots of small things in app got adcom lady's nose bent out of joint
4. bad luck or unfair outcome --e.g. you are right.
5 Of the above, number 1 is MOST freq.

Again, this is generic, don't know much about you except this odd and un-self-aware post, so good luck and write back next week and
tell us all to jump in a lake.
Real easy question for you: what is record of your current firm of placing kids at HBS or getting interviews, if over 50 pct, then
number 1 above is prob. not the case. If firm has no track record or little success, well, it could be No 1 above.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Last edited by hbsguru on 30 Jan 2013, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:35
Theroen wrote:
Hey everyone, quick question: I applied for the 2+2 programme, so when my application went in, i was in uni and still unemployed. I recently received a job offer from a reputable firm though, so I was wondering if this is something the admissions committee would want to know or do they not accept any additional information after the deadline regardless of what that information might be?

If you have met with someone from HBS, maybe you could let them know informally. I wouldn't send HBS your contract or an official letter saying "BY THE WAY - I have a job"

I mean, where in the 2+2 application did you even say "I don't have a job". You're a college senior no? So...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.88

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:41
noHBSinvite wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

Understood. But had significant help (incl paid consultants), and spent a ton of time on them.

@hunterashmore thanks for your offer. I have a 3.65 from Notre Dame/Northwestern/Emory type school,710 (q45, v41). Worked in investment banking for two years at a top bank (gs/ms/jp morgan), then did my third year -- this year -- in a special assistant type role to a sr person at the firm (think coo/cfo/head of investment banking type level). Also had nationally recognized nonprofit leadership, etc. Also an hbs legacy. Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what I should be doing differently. For when I apply again in 2-3 years. Thank you. Sorry for the essay, just crushed about it.

Don't stress. People DO get interview invites in the second wave. Seems like you are a pretty strong candidate. Also, why wait 2-3 years? Why not consider another school?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
noHBSinvite wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

I believe this post from R1 is relevant:

dwal44 wrote:
There are people who are disappointed right now after not hearing anything who definitely WILL get into HBS. There are people who are elated right now who will definitely NOT get into HBS.

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 73

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
BigRedMBA wrote:
Jinglander wrote:
Anyone WL from rd 1 get a invite today?

yeah I was waitlisted round 1 and got an invite today.

Congrats Big Red! HBS here you come.

===============
2015 Wharton MBA Candidate
http://www.mbaover30.com - Affordable MBA Admissions Consulting

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:38
Any updates for Asia, esp China? Thanks guys.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Well I'm definitely on the old end of the spectrum but I got an invitation to interview. Pretty stoked! Now I gotta wait and see for Stanford and Haas.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 16:33
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 16:41
rodrigoj wrote:
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!

out of curiosity, who told you that you were too old (I'm also 31, btw).

I don't think it hurts your chances per se, but I felt being on campus helped. Not just from an interview standpoint - you can do a class visit, tour campus and Boston, and get a feel for the type of people you will be surrounded by for the next two years. That whole experience made me even more sure that HBS is where I want to be, and I honestly think that kind of excitement helps when you interview.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 16:43
rodrigoj wrote:

Thanks!

I don't think so at all. Schools that are sensitive about their yield rates will look at an interview on campus as a sign that the candidate is really interested. 90% of accepted students attend Harvard, so they're not worried that you *really* want to go there. Since the admissions team does the vast majority of interviews, I believe they also travel around the world to convenient locations on each (populous) continent. Others may disagree, but I really don't think you need to head to Cambridge.

Whoever told you that you were too old was foolish. Averages are just that, an average.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 16:43