Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard aspirations - possible, or delusional?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Harvard aspirations - possible, or delusional? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 13:05
If anyone is willing to take a stab at analyzing my chances at the Crimson H, I'd be happy to listen (or read, as the case may be).

In no particular order:

- 28, white, male,
- 1st in family to go to college
- BA (3.74) in Psych, MA (3.83) in Experimental Psych from middle-of-the-road college (but it's said to be up-and-coming). Degrees were granted as part of a combined BA-MA program
- 670 GMAT, 98th%ile Verbal, 52%ile Math, 5.5 writing
- 5 years of full time work, 2 in marketing research, 3 in psychophysical research
- Strong background in stats, both in class and at work
- Looking to focus degree on marketing and strategy, with a specific focus on non-profits.

I think the devil may be in the details for this one, though.

-- Outside of work, I was named the Director of Strategic Planning for a 100 chapter, 10,000 member international social club. Responsibilities include improving the organizational structure, creating committees, survey research, targeting areas for new chapters, and media relations. As a result, I've been interviewed for major and minor media outlets, including CNN and Salon.com. I report directly to the head of the organization; it's very much a leadership position.
-- The majority of this club's members are intentionally childless. The childfree, as they are known, are on the verge of becoming a bona fide "movement" within the next 5-10 years. I would be using my post-MBA career to focus on the childfree.
-- My wife is a 1L at Harvard Law. She attended the same undergrad I did.
-- I've been able to avail myself of some Harvard-related events, including acting as a survey consultant for some 1L's, attending Harvard Leadership Committee lectures, and sitting in on a cross-listed HBS/JFK course on social marketing.
-- My three recommendations should be top notch (though I imagine everyone's will be), with one from my former supervisor, one from the head of the social club, and one from my old boss, who just receievd a very prestigeous marketing research award and is a Harvard alum.

I'll be applying 3rd round, because of the timing of my recommendations.

The way I'm seeing it, I'm a left-field candidate. Very non-traditional goals and a very non-traditional post-MBA plan. I tend to interview quite well, so if I make it to the interview stage, I think I have a legitimate shot.

Any idea if HBS is a pipe-dream for me? I would likely re-apply next year if I don't get accepted this year.

Thanks in advance,

RT
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 16:32
Expert's post
Long story short, I think you have a very compelling profile. Your background is unique, but that's a very good thing. Your GMAT and undergard transcript are strong enough to get you in. Also, I can tell from your post that you're a skilled writer.

I love your work as the director of strategic planning for that organization. Just don't come across as a child hater, and I think you'll be fine. ;-) Seriously, involvement and passion like that will help you a great deal.

What concerns me most is your plan to apply in the 3rd round. You've probably heard this a bunch of times, but schools tends to not have many seats left after the first two rounds. If youapply in the 3rd round and don't get in, don't despair or take it as a sign that you're not cut out for HBS. Apply again next year in the 1st round, if you need to.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2005, 17:32
Expert's post
Take a look at this article. It mentions HBS and its stance on reapplicants. Don't take this as gospel, but it should be of interest, given your situation:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... _bs001.htm

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews