Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard Business School Essays: word limits question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Harvard Business School Essays: word limits question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 05:57
Hello Linda:
How are you? I hope doing great.
I am currently polishing up my Harvard Business School application essays for submission for round 1 consideration.

My question is: how do my essay word counts look below compared to the limit Harvard is asking for? Would submitting them at such lengths be okay (especially essay number 6 length)?

Kind Regards.
-Kinyua.

1. What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience? (400-word limit) [currently 399 words]

2. What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit) [currently 605 words]

3. Discuss a defining experience in your development as a leader. (400-word limit) [currently 414 words]

4. In your career, you will have to deal with many ethical issues. What are likely to be the most challenging and what is your plan for developing the competencies you will need to handle these issues effectively? (400-word limit) [currently 406 words]

5. What are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader? (400-word limit)[currently 415 words]

6. What are your career aspirations and how can an MBA help you to reach them? Why now? (400-word limit) [currently 459 words]

7. What do you wish the MBA Admissions Board had asked you? (400-word limit) [currently 408 words]
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard Business School Essays: word limits question [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 21:46
Expert's post
kinyua wrote:
Hello Linda:
How are you? I hope doing great.
I am currently polishing up my Harvard Business School application essays for submission for round 1 consideration.

My question is: how do my essay word counts look below compared to the limit Harvard is asking for? Would submitting them at such lengths be okay (especially essay number 6 length)?

Kind Regards.
-Kinyua.

1. What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience? (400-word limit) [currently 399 words]

2. What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit) [currently 605 words]

3. Discuss a defining experience in your development as a leader. (400-word limit) [currently 414 words]

4. In your career, you will have to deal with many ethical issues. What are likely to be the most challenging and what is your plan for developing the competencies you will need to handle these issues effectively? (400-word limit) [currently 406 words]

5. What are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader? (400-word limit)[currently 415 words]

6. What are your career aspirations and how can an MBA help you to reach them? Why now? (400-word limit) [currently 459 words]

7. What do you wish the MBA Admissions Board had asked you? (400-word limit) [currently 408 words]

Our rule of thumb is up to 10% over is OK. (They don't sit there and count words.) So all of your essays are OK, except #6. Try to cut that down a little more.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

thanks linda. [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2005, 08:26
Thanks Linda:
I have trimmed essay #6 to 429 words.
I appreciate your advice.
Regards.
-Kinyua
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: thanks linda. [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2005, 15:02
Expert's post
kinyua wrote:
Thanks Linda:
I have trimmed essay #6 to 429 words.
I appreciate your advice.
Regards.
-Kinyua

You're most welcome Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog