Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Asset Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
DeltaOfOne wrote:
For a little context:
Last year 15% of GMAT Club's R1 applicants were invited to interview (see link below) compared to only 8% this year, thus far. I completely realize this isn't a perfect comparison (last year's GMAT Club looks stronger), but I thought I'd share.

This is actually pretty encouraging. I don't think it matters that it is not a "perfect" comparison. When the sample size is large enough it doesn't matter i.e. last year's GMATClub members may look stronger based on stats (higher GMAT/GPA averages etc) but that can be cancelled out by other stuff not captured on paper.

More importantly, 8% is way below the expected value of ~18% interviewed for the intake (might be higher for round 1).

Lastly, this is completely meaningless and waste of my time when I have real work to do. But this whole bsch affair is like taking drugs. And refreshing the GMATClub forums is like taking small doses of it. Sure I'd like to take a huge hit (getting the invite), but that's not available right now. And I rather refresh GMATClub forums than deal with real life right now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
HBSGuru and other consultants have all said that the date/time of the interview slot makes no difference, so you should be fine with Shanghai.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Beckham123 wrote:
Congrats to all those who got accepted, and good luck to the rest for Wave 2!

I had a couple of questions regarding interviews, was hoping someone could answer them:

1) So I'm deciding between flying to an interview location/skype interview. Does the forum feel it hurts one's chances if interviews are done on skype? What are some of the cons? Have acceptance rates been lower for skype interviewees, as compared to those who interviewed in person?

2) What is the probability of people getting accepted from the interview phase? as in, 1 in how many candidates gets in, historically.

3) In the interview phase, is decision based solely on the basis of interview performance? or are factors already considered in app processing, part of the evaluation in this phase too? (GMAT/work experience etc)

Thanks!

I was told the following at an on campus info session:

1) No difference

2) about 1800 will interview, about 1000 will be accepted (all rounds)

3) The interview is just an additional data point. Following the interview the candidate will be judged based on their entire application, including the interview.

Hope this helps. Best of luck on the interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
nk1983 wrote:
Hi,

Congrats to all those who got an invite!

Did anyone in India/South Asia get an interview invitation? Is Mumbai coming as an option in the drop-down list for interview slots?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hey,

I got a call, and yes Mumbai is appearing as an option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
vcruz80 wrote:
Haha I love this thread. It's like the HBS applicant support group. I wonder if any HBS Adcoms ever peek around in here and laugh at us.

There was less time between the deadline and wave 1...so wave 1 had to be smaller this year!

Ha yup emotional support and sharing hope. It only makes sense that the more interesting applicants would come out in the second wave as they want to have the time to develop a better understanding of them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
tripsd wrote:
vcruz80 wrote:
Haha I love this thread. It's like the HBS applicant support group. I wonder if any HBS Adcoms ever peek around in here and laugh at us.

There was less time between the deadline and wave 1...so wave 1 had to be smaller this year!

Ha yup emotional support and sharing hope. It only makes sense that the more interesting applicants would come out in the second wave as they want to have the time to develop a better understanding of them.

YES that's the spirit.

Sad thing is when I read threads in the past year I always look at the people who stay hopeful after the first wave and think - poor bastards...

Sure enough, 80% of them would get dinged.

BUT THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT!! RIGHT?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
For those who’ve received interviews: how many interview slots do you see available/already-taken when you sign up? That may be the best indicator of all on what % of interviews have been given out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Beckham123 wrote:
sp88 wrote:
seamlessftw wrote:
Pretty sure the Skype interviews are video. Otherwise no need for Skype -- you could just do it by phone.

Didn't there were "audio only" interviews..

Yep i feel they will be video too. But do we have it written/documented anywhere?

You can see it here... https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages ... ector.aspx

An excerpt from the blog posted on September 18, 2013

Quote:
Round One interviews will be conducted between October 21 and November 22. Not all dates will be available in all locations. In addition to on-campus interviews, we will be interviewing in New York City, Palo Alto, London, Paris, Shanghai, Dubai, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, and Santiago. Candidates who cannot travel may be accommodated via Skype.

Note the sentence in bold.

Skype = video + audio
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Word on the street seems to be that the bulk of PE megafund associates have received invites, which suggests that the bulk of people who'll receive HBS interview invites have already received them. Not to be pessimistic, but if you look back at last year's thread, there was a lot of fuzzy, optimistic thinking very much along the same lines of this year's thread comments, so I'm skeptical (but hopeful) that this year's Wave 2 will be sizable.

Based on last year's thread, it seems like best way to know how big Wave 2 will be is to ask those who've received invites roughly how many "spots" were up for interview when they signed up for times, but I don't know if that is easily visible this year. In any case, as the wiser folks have noted, this is all pointless speculation that doesn't actually increase our chances tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Best of luck to everyone today!

For those not receiving invites, hold your head high, cue up some Chumbawamba, and move on. There are great success stories both inside and outside of HBS, and they all start with great adversity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Africa1989 wrote:
I've decided not to check my email until I get home tonight,and to put it lightly this thread is making me BEYOND nervous. I am less than optimistic about my chances.If you haven't shared yet, i'm sure rest of the community would appreciate seeing the profiles associated with our eventual results. Mine is below.

GMAT: 730+
GPA:between 3.4 and 3.6
WE (at matric): 2.6 Years at top NGO
Dual Citizen (Africa/USA)
Nervousness: 150/100

You must be really nervous...

Originally posted by knightofdelta on 16 Oct 2013, 10:05.
Last edited by knightofdelta on 16 Oct 2013, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
I wrote a long Essay, it was 1700 words and was invited. I also wrote about what was important to me, how i got there and where I wanted to go....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
knightofdelta wrote:
dwal44 wrote:
New theory for all "further consideration" people: Harvard is just protecting itself. They read our apps and said, "This really sounds like a Stanford/Wharton person. Let's wait and see if they get into those schools and withdraw from us. If not, we will let them in round 2."

This is a bulletproof theory. I feel so much better now. Anyone commenting on this theory needs to agree with it or you will ignored. Other than that, I'm open to any comments!

Why would anybody want to drop Wharton for Harvard? Stanford, I understand.

not to be self-delusional, as i am in the same boat, but i think there's some logic to dwal44's comment. i saw MBAGirlJourney decided to withdraw out of R1 FC with HBS and out of interviewing with Wharton to go to CBS. people make decisions based on many different factors - its not just based on US News ranking. we (R1 FCs) are probably borderline in a possibly under-represented pool or have some unique hook to our application (otherwise, they would have enough in R2 to fill the class) that warranted a second look later.

for you other R1 FC people: are you doing anything to supplement your application?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a R1 FC, and I would love to believe this theory is true. However it's probably self delusional.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Ugh this waiting is tough. 3 weeks, 45 minutes to go!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Kitkat6 wrote:
RSAproud wrote:
Kitkat6 wrote:
Ugh this waiting is tough. 3 weeks, 45 minutes to go!

Kitkat6 did you only apply to 3 schools? Are you preparing additional applications just in case? Trying to decide what my next step should be...

Yep, just the 3 in R1. I'm starting to think about what other schools I would apply to if I get bad news, but haven't started anything yet. I'm thinking if H is a no go, I'll start my apps and have almost a month to finish them. I asked both my recommenders how much notice they need for early Jan deadlines and they said Dec 11 is plenty.

For right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for HBS, but I'm getting so antsy that I might start other apps just to distract myself...

Been trying to protect my sanity by staying off the forums but diving back into a couple of the topics going on. Firstly, my essay was about 1200 words, no subheadings, answering very directly the prompt "what else do we need to know about you" and quite personal (and hopefully raised a smile or laugh).

As for this topic, last year I applied to 6 schools R1. I got into three of of them, waitlisted at one and rejected from two. I turned down all offers to stay with my startup another year and now am going through the process again (now narrowed down to 3 schools to reapply to).

It was a tough push doing 6 schools R1 but what I realised after I got my offers was that it really doesn't matter how many apps you send if you don't feel like you connect with the school (and I mean *connect* not *you feel like it ranks well*). There were three schools I loved (one of which I got into last year), and I would be thrilled to be at any of them, and I'm applying to those again. The number of applications is less relevant than the fit with the schools you're applying to. It's a hefty price tag to settle for something you wouldn't be happy with. Obviously it depends on your career plan and how critical an MBA is, but if there are three schools you want to go to, apply to those three and leave it at that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Good to see others are going through the same painful waiting process I am. I'm going to start on other applications too but I don't know how I'll concentrate properly with this hanging over me.

For those still waiting and interested I wrote an account of my interview day and evening reception in London, but it's a little long to post here. Link is below.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts