Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:22
Amateur wrote:
IISHR25 wrote:
Ding - no interview.

Shoot. Maybe R1 for the next year I will have better luck.

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Good luck for next year. What is your profile? I can see your GPA and GMAT but interested in WE and post-MBA goals.

Hmmm I thought I was sharing that stuff. I'll go check my profile.

WE - 4 years post undergrad Engineering. 2 R&D and 2 Manufacturing Engineer
Post MBA goals - Operations (1st) and/or Entrepreneurship (2nd) (in Medical Device industry)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 56

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:25
IISHR25 wrote:

Post MBA goals - Operations (1st) and/or Entrepreneurship (2nd) (in Medical Device industry)

R&D and manufacturing in which field?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 2

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Got a R3 interview invite for 2+2
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:32
Amateur wrote:
IISHR25 wrote:

R&D and manufacturing in which field?

R&D at Water Filtration and Delivery company (water filters, air driers/humidifiers, pumps)
Manufacturing in GPS Surveying equipment (consumer and military electronics)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.73
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged. Will try reapplying for 2015. Congrats to people who got an interview.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.59
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:33
Dinged - after being deferred in round 2
Much saddness
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:47
baseishome wrote:
Dinged - after being deferred in round 2
Much saddness

:-( Very sorry. I know how you feel.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Invited to interview! Pretty excited and nervous, time to prep. @DefyingGravity - any suggestions?
Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 09:44
hbsfitness45 wrote:
Invited to interview! Pretty excited and nervous, time to prep. @DefyingGravity - any suggestions?

Congrats! Any chance you could share more of your profile? Work Experience? GPA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 09:56
3.8 GPA in Finance
3 years IB exp at top 3 firm
3 years IB exp at top boutique firm
Lots of charitable work and extra curricular activities
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 12:44
hbsfitness45 wrote:

Congrats, such an exciting feeling!!! To prep, I'd recommend you review the questions on clear admit and think about how you would answer. Practice your stories, but don't practice so much that you sound scripted. Make sure you can concisely speak about all of your decision making, such as why you choose your undergrad and current career. During the interview, be confident, yet also humble and enthusiastic. Lastly, you'll quite likely get some off the wall crazy questions. Don't let them throw you off.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I am definitely not an expert but am happy to explain more about my experience.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- Admissions Advice from HBS Dean
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 12:27
Hey everyone,

How do you interpret this part of the rejection letter?:

"Kelly Quinn, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions and Program Manager for the 2+2 Program has set aside time to speak to each of you personally if you wish. This is not for the purpose of critiquing your 2+2 application, but rather to indicate our continued interest in each of you. We hope many of you will be students here at some time in the future. We hope all of you will be MBA students somewhere. The world needs your passion and talent and we think the MBA is a degree that will open many important doors.

Should you wish to speak with Kelly, please call her at 617-496-6975 anytime between 9am - 12pm EDT on April 24, or 1 - 4pm EDT on April 29."

What is actually the purpose of the phone call? How should I treat it if I choose to call?

On that note, I also remember reading somewhere that Dee will speak directly with the candidates that were rejected after the interview, but I cannot find the source. Any idea?

Michael
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 13:04
rpaulson wrote:
Hey everyone,

How do you interpret this part of the rejection letter?:

"Kelly Quinn, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions and Program Manager for the 2+2 Program has set aside time to speak to each of you personally if you wish. This is not for the purpose of critiquing your 2+2 application, but rather to indicate our continued interest in each of you. We hope many of you will be students here at some time in the future. We hope all of you will be MBA students somewhere. The world needs your passion and talent and we think the MBA is a degree that will open many important doors.

Should you wish to speak with Kelly, please call her at 617-496-6975 anytime between 9am - 12pm EDT on April 24, or 1 - 4pm EDT on April 29."

What is actually the purpose of the phone call? How should I treat it if I choose to call?

On that note, I also remember reading somewhere that Dee will speak directly with the candidates that were rejected after the interview, but I cannot find the source. Any idea?
Michael

The source of Dee stating she'd speak to you is from one of her older blog posts.

Regarding the first part of your question, I'm not a 2+2 applicant, so I have no real insight. However, it would seem to me that there is no harm in taking the call with Kelly since they are explicitly inviting you to chat. I think it's always helpful to gain as much insight as you possibly can, especially if you are considering applying again in the future.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- Admissions Advice from HBS Dean
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 14:27
Sounds like they're saying that you could be a promising candidate for admission a few years down the road, but you didn't quite make the cut as a 2+2 applicant.

I would treat the call as a way for you to find out what you can do to become as competitive as possible 3-5 years from now. Maybe they identified some slight deficiencies in your profile that you could address over the next few years in addition to the basic "do really good at your next job, and have very clear reasons for why MBA/why HBS when you reapply" advice they'll probably also give you.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 21:10
@DefyingGravity - thanks for the advice! Just picked up the Clear Admit Guide and I've been reading through the Harbus to get a handle on the questions. I hope to meet you in person as a classmate, thanks again.
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 800

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 08:51
Expert's post
Thank you everybody who attended the latest webinar jointly organized by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting for the applicants got dinged this year.

For the members who could not attend this event, we have posted the webinar recording in the main post of this thread.
Check out this link for free ding analysis offer by Admissionado.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Moving in the General Direction of Summer [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 06:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Moving in the General Direction of Summer
Greetings. We are re-cycling this title from last year’s post around this time. Feels like it’s still appropriate.

Tis the season for folks to start thinking about next year, visiting campus, figuring out where we’ll be traveling to do info sessions.

Last class visit is on May 9. We don't have any summer classes so there's nothing to see!

Information sessions: The schedule changes to Mondays and Fridays at 2:00 pm Boston time beginning May 12. No advance notice required. All of our sessions are conducted by members of the Admissions Board with plenty of time for QA. We do not meet individually with candidates. Please check out our calendarfor dates and locations of the information sessions.

Campus tours: Beginning on May 12, we'll host tours at 1:15 pm Boston time on Mondays and Fridays. Again, no advance notice required - report to Dillon House. If you come to campus when a tour is not offered, you can come by Dillon House (we love visitors) and borrow an iPod with a campus tour. You can also download a tour from iTunes.

We'll be hosting various types of presentations about HBS this summer, including student panels - watch the websitefor our schedule.

We'll be launching the application for the Class of 2017 in mid-June.

Here's some advance info: The Round 1 deadline will be mid-September.

New: THERE IS NO SUMMER ROUND FOR 2+2 CANDIDATES. 2+2 will follow the same application season calendar as the “regular” MBA Program.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Round 3 Interviews and Beyond [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 07:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 3 Interviews and Beyond
Here's the plan:

On Thursday, April 17, hopefully at 12:00 noon Boston time, we will send out both interview invitations and release notifications. Thus, all Round 3 candidates will be hearing something from us on Thursday. Interviewees will receive detailed instructions via email. Interviews will be conducted here on campus on April 28 and May 2. Skype interviews will be available for international candidates and college students with academic conflicts.

Round 3 decisions (to all interviewed candidates) will go out on May 14. Noon. You know the drill.

The application for the Class of 2017 will go live in mid-June. We'll post the essay and recommender questions before that - most likely in early June.

Onward.

Hope this is helpful.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Moving in the General Direction of Summer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 07:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Moving in the General Direction of Summer
Greetings. We are re-cycling this title from last year’s post around this time. Feels like it’s still appropriate.

Tis the season for folks to start thinking about next year, visiting campus, figuring out where we’ll be traveling to do info sessions.

Last class visit is on May 9. We don't have any summer classes so there's nothing to see!

Information sessions: The schedule changes to Mondays and Fridays at 2:00 pm Boston time beginning May 12. No advance notice required. All of our sessions are conducted by members of the Admissions Board with plenty of time for QA. We do not meet individually with candidates. Please check out our calendarfor dates and locations of the information sessions.

Campus tours: Beginning on May 12, we'll host tours at 1:15 pm Boston time on Mondays and Fridays. Again, no advance notice required - report to Dillon House. If you come to campus when a tour is not offered, you can come by Dillon House (we love visitors) and borrow an iPod with a campus tour. You can also download a tour from iTunes.

We'll be hosting various types of presentations about HBS this summer, including student panels - watch the websitefor our schedule.

We'll be launching the application for the Class of 2017 in mid-June.

Here's some advance info: The Round 1 deadline will be mid-September.

New: THERE IS NO SUMMER ROUND FOR 2+2 CANDIDATES. 2+2 will follow the same application season calendar as the “regular” MBA Program.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 13:16
The forum is so quiet! Counting down until Wednesday...
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 13:16