Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 22:10
Acoustic1000 wrote:
Thank you @Timbob . How soon after the interview did you hear back? did you get an email or a call?

You won't hear anything from HBS until the published notification date.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 07:56
guys, any tips on prepping for the HBS interview? Dress code? Color of suit? Dress ok? <I'm a girl, yes.>

thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 67

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 08:12
ganteymula wrote:
guys, any tips on prepping for the HBS interview? Dress code? Color of suit? Dress ok? <I'm a girl, yes.>

thanks!

I'm a guy, but these tips come from The Harbus:

-Simple and classic suit style. Skirt lenght at least knee length. Make sure top fits appropriately. When in doubt choose a conservative cut.
-Wear close toed pumps with heel 1-3 inches.
-Hair and makeup should be natural and clean
-Do not wear perfume (i guess this is just in case your interviewer is allergic or something). Do year deodorant.
-Keep handbags at home unless they fit a legal and laptop, opt for a large structured tote
-No flashy jewelry/accessories.
-Keep your look clean and professional.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 20:08
to those of you interviewing in R2:

are you planning on sending a thank you email/note to your interviewer afterwards?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q V0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 7

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
lunch12 wrote:

are you planning on sending a thank you email/note to your interviewer afterwards?

HBS gives you a card as you leave your interview with relevant information on it. On that card, in italics, it says something along the lines "thank you notes are truly not necessary." It's the only italicized text on the card. They really don't want thank you notes.

They know you're all willing to write thank you notes, and would if they didn't say this. The main reason (in my opinion) they do not want thank you notes is because of the post-interview reflection. The PIR lets you get through any lingering thoughts, and also toss in a line or two thanking your interviewer.

I wouldn't write a thank you note (for HBS). I didn't, nor did any of the other admitted students I know of who got in.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 01:23
asymmetric wrote:
lunch12 wrote:

HBS gives you a card as you leave your interview with relevant information on it. On that card, in italics, it says something along the lines "thank you notes are truly not necessary." It's the only italicized text on the card. They really don't want thank you notes.

They know you're all willing to write thank you notes, and would if they didn't say this. The main reason (in my opinion) they do not want thank you notes is because of the post-interview reflection. The PIR lets you get through any lingering thoughts, and also toss in a line or two thanking your interviewer.

I wouldn't write a thank you note (for HBS). I didn't, nor did any of the other admitted students I know of who got in.

Ditto - I think the reflection is deliberately designed to take this sort of anxious 'should I, shouldn't I' moment out. Write what you want in that.

My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Answered

Last edited by Acoustic1000 on 17 Feb 2014, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: HBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 02:03
Hey all,

First time poster here. I have an interview in London next week, looking for anyone who went through the interview off-campus, preferably in London as well. Any experiences you can share? How is off-campus interview different from on-campus?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 11:40
jfried11 wrote:
Hey all,

First time poster here. I have an interview in London next week, looking for anyone who went through the interview off-campus, preferably in London as well. Any experiences you can share? How is off-campus interview different from on-campus?

Hi jfried11,

I interviewed in London, back in November. I assume it'll be in the same place on Park Lane.
Wrote a bit of a diary of the day on my blog here: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/harvard-the-interview-with-a-sprinkling-of-wine-cheese/

Hope that helps and good luck!

Tim

My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 09:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 3 - Should You or Shouldn't You?
You want to go to business school. You really do. But the fall season kind of got away from you. You were busy. Work was demanding. You simply didn't have time to hunker down and focus on b-school applications.

Now you've got it together. Ready. But there's all this noise about Round 3. Discouraging and worrisome noise. Let's try to address some of the myths.

Myth #1: There are no spots available.

Not true. We manage the selection process to ensure that there are always spots open for the candidates we want. Are there as many spots open as in Rounds 1 and 2? No. Are there as many applicants? No. Do I think a strong candidate has a fair shot? Yes.

Myth #2: We’ve run out of financial aid.

Not true. The very last person admitted to the class has access to the same need-based financial aid that the very first person received.

Myth #3: If I get dinged in Round 3, I can't/shouldn't apply the next season in Round 1.

Not true. There's absolutely no stigma in re-applying 5 months later. Happens a lot. Many people in our classroom today were successful re-applicants.

Myth #4: It's too late for 2+2 applicants.

Not true. Not even close to true. Round 3 is a great choice for 2+2 applicants. Why? We can be more flexible about the number of 2+2 admits given that we are not worried about a seat being occupied for this September. College seniors have another semester of grades to show us. And another semester of activities. I also see a 2+2 application as a good dress rehearsal for future applications - and possibly interviews - to lots of other selective scenarios. If you aren't admitted to 2+2, we like to say (over and over): It doesn't mean not ever, it means not now. Besides, it's a great deal. $100 application fee. A chance to get the standardized tests over with when you're in test-taking mode. And, best of all, two or three years to explore and then come to HBS.

Myth #5: There's no Welcome Weekend for Round 3 admits.

True. But all the interviews will be held on campus so you'll get to see us in real time. And here's some advice about visiting classes and the campus:

If you want to see the case method in action, there are many spots available to visit a HBS class this spring. Also, there will be limited availability for visiting a class before the Round 1 application deadline next fall, so this is a great time to visit. Register for a class visit through our online scheduling system. We will also be hosting several other events on campus in the next few months, including an LGBT Open House, Prospective Students’ Diversity Day, and lunches for prospective women applicants with members of the Women’s Student Association.

You can always meet us online, too. We will be hosting Admissions QA webinars to answer your questions before the Round 3 deadline, as well as webinars featuring members of the Women’s Student Association and the Armed Forces Alumni Association. To learn more, please see the Admissions Events page of our website.

Here's a reminder: The Round 3 deadline is April 7. We'll do our usual posts right after the deadline about timing of interview invitations. As always, hope this helps.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 67

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 09:19
Had my interview over the last few days. Overall, really conversational. Definitely starting to overthink some of my answers - really could have done a better job with a few questions by having tighter answers. It's gonna be 4 long weeks...

Beyond the interview, I thought everybody in the admissions staff was incredibly friendly throughout the day as well as transparent about the overall process.

Good luck to the rest of you who have interviews coming up - it won't be as bad as you think.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.98
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 2

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
tdawg wrote:
Had my interview over the last few days. Overall, really conversational. Definitely starting to overthink some of my answers - really could have done a better job with a few questions by having tighter answers. It's gonna be 4 long weeks...

Beyond the interview, I thought everybody in the admissions staff was incredibly friendly throughout the day as well as transparent about the overall process.

Good luck to the rest of you who have interviews coming up - it won't be as bad as you think.

I had a very similar experience at my recent interview in Boston. As much as I had heard about the admissions committee being hospitable, I was surprised by how warm and welcoming my interviewer(s) were. 75% of my questions focus on my resume and/or essay, but I talked to others who interviewed the same day who had very few questions related to their career progression or essay.

I think everyone (including myself) leaves the interview room feeling pretty good and then begins a downward spiral into negativity, picking apart their interview and feeling progressively less confident in his or her performance and answers. I didn't answer a few as well as I thought I should have either and felt myself stumbling at times, but had other questions that I felt I nailed. Only time will tell.

The best part of it all was the opportunity to interact with other applicants. Everyone was nervous, but incredibly friendly. It was definitely a group that I would love to spend 60+ hours a week around for the next 2 years. Really solid people.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
I can honestly say the best piece of advice I have received about the interview is to write yourself a note before heading in. More specifically a note stating "I did not do as badly on my HBS interview as I believe I did". Because trust me...2-4 hrs after you're done.. you'll believe you bombed harder than anyone ever has.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 07:44
ID1995 wrote:
I can honestly say the best piece of advice I have received about the interview is to write yourself a note before heading in. More specifically a note stating "I did not do as badly on my HBS interview as I believe I did". Because trust me...2-4 hrs after you're done.. you'll believe you bombed harder than anyone ever has.

Immediately after my interview, I thought I did really great. It was after about the first 24-48 hours that I started over-analyzing every response I gave and thinking of what I could/should have done better. Welp, it's February 26, exactly one month until decisions are released. Let's all hope for the best!

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
DefyingGravity wrote:
ID1995 wrote:

Immediately after my interview, I thought I did really great. It was after about the first 24-48 hours that I started over-analyzing every response I gave and thinking of what I could/should have done better. Welp, it's February 26, exactly one month until decisions are released. Let's all hope for the best!

If it makes you feel any better... there are only 28 days in February, so decision day is a little closer than it seems haha. :gl
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 10:31
any idea if this email will say "Congratulations" for ppl that got in vs. "HBS Decision Available Online" for those who didn't.... i guess it doesn't really matter, but trying to stay distracted here.

Also, if you were one of the "Further Consideration" ppl from Round 1, can you still be Waitlisted after interviews in Round 2?
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.98
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 11:00
ganteymula wrote:
Also, if you were one of the "Further Consideration" ppl from Round 1, can you still be Waitlisted after interviews in Round 2?

Getting wait-listed after receiving a FC from Round 1 seems unlikely, although theoretically possible. I haven't seen any communication from HBS indicating that those who suffer through the FC route are immune from being sent back into the purgatory that is the wait list. During my interview, the adcom member thanked me profusely for my willingness to hang on through the Further Consideration period, which I thought was really nice. It leads me to believe that HBS would hesitate to subject FC applicants to further waiting via the WL.

I could be totally wrong - its just a hypothesis.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 11:21
ganteymula wrote:
any idea if this email will say "Congratulations" for ppl that got in vs. "HBS Decision Available Online" for those who didn't.... i guess it doesn't really matter, but trying to stay distracted here.

As far as I know the emails will be identical for admits, dings, WLs, and FCs--it will just tell you to log into your account to view your updated status.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 12:12
ecoates wrote:
ganteymula wrote:

Getting wait-listed after receiving a FC from Round 1 seems unlikely, although theoretically possible. I haven't seen any communication from HBS indicating that those who suffer through the FC route are immune from being sent back into the purgatory that is the wait list. During my interview, the adcom member thanked me profusely for my willingness to hang on through the Further Consideration period, which I thought was really nice. It leads me to believe that HBS would hesitate to subject FC applicants to further waiting via the WL.

I could be totally wrong - its just a hypothesis.

On the admissions blog before round 1 interview invites were sent, Dee has a post where she says it is highly unlikely you would be FC'd in round 1 and then waitlisted in round 2 after interviewing.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 12:34
EBM wrote:
ganteymula wrote:

As far as I know the emails will be identical for admits, dings, WLs, and FCs--it will just tell you to log into your account to view your updated status.

Is it reasonable to expect a call from admissions personnel if you are admitted? Or does that happen to only a minority of successful applicants?
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 12:34