Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [18]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [9]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [8]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Of course failure sucks. It sucks the life force out of you. It makes you feel useless, miserable and lonely. It makes you doubt yourself in every aspect.

All those who say take failure in your stride are talking nonsense. It is like saying take getting kicked in the stomach a hundred times in your stride. No, it isn't possible. Failure hurts. You, me and everyone else.

But there's the thing. Failure may be able to hurt you, but it shouldn't be able to make you quit.

Quitting is in your hands. You fail, you feel sad, maybe you even cry. But don't quit.

People who finally win are not those who don't get hurt by failure. They do. They just don't quit. because of failure. They tell failure, 'Yes this hurts. But Mr.Failure, all your hurting is not going to make me quit. It will hurt for a while but then I will be back. I will try again, and again. Until I finally win and you no longer exist in my life.'

--- Chetan Bhagat, Author of revolutionary book 'Three Mistakes of my life'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [7]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
and this marks the end of the six month journey, from digging deep to finding raw, emotional topics for these essays, to waiting for R1 results in a small rural village in southern china to getting FC-ed and being cursed with a bit of hope, to the unexpectedly difficult waiting period the second time around, to the sweet release of finality today.

and let today mark the beginning of the next phase: i am done with this process.

peace out.

Originally posted by nycdweller on 05 Feb 2014, 11:02.
Last edited by nycdweller on 05 Feb 2014, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [7]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
omgggg!! I'm going to HBS. I am crying...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [6]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
missnomex wrote:
Any successful reapplicants in R1 who can share what they think made the difference for them?

I was a reapplicant (rejected, no interview last year) and was admitted this year. I think there were a number of things that impacted that, not least of all that I was just infinitely more confident and familiar with the process. The HBS app was due so early it was my first one last year and I was definitely still learning about how to approach the questions.

In addition to that, I had really spent the last year focusing on activities I thought would enhance my profile - a promotion at work, entering (and winning) a number of industry awards, taking on projects at work that showed my skills. I also completely rethought my essays and went for something a lot more personal - something that was easier with six previous applications under my belt and all the introspection that implies.

It's worth noting that I didn't actually do this specifically for HBS. I got into some great schools last year and decided not to go because of the successes of my start up. I was trying to prove to the schools I turned down (they wouldn't let me defer) that I had made the right choice waiting a year. Getting into HBS was just the icing on the cake :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [6]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
essaysnark wrote:
The type of content that Stanford is inviting with essay 1 is typically not what HBS responds best to. Basically, if you wouldn't talk about it in a job interview, then in most cases we'd say that it doesn't belong in a Harvard essay. Instead, HBS likes to hear about the stuff such as what Londoncalling1 talked about here - professional accomplishments, wins, overachiever stuff.

That being said, there's totally no rules for how to handle the open-ended question that they've got this year.

Now this is where it gets very interesting.

Here is the Harvard prompt: "You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy?"

All the stuff you are going to talk about in a job interview have all been noted by Harvard. "We have seen.... everything". Now they say "tell us something we don't already know". The only thing they don't already know is something really personal. It could be the personal motivating factor that made you achieve all those things in the first place. Now, that is really personal.

To quote Londoncalling1. He said: "I also completely rethought my essays and went for something a lot more personal - something that was easier with six previous applications under my belt and all the introspection that implies."

Obviously he was not that personal in his previous attempt but he went "for something more personal" in his essays and he got into HBS.

So, no I disagree with when you say "As a very general statement, HBS doesn't want to see overly personal content in their apps".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [6]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
1 hour left!!!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJ-wNmazHQ[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [6]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Kudos
I have been invited. Everyone good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations to all of you who received interviews!

As I imagine that many of you will start interviewing in approximately two weeks and selecting interview dates later today around noon, I figure some people may be interested in some of my personal takeaways from interviewing at HBS (on-campus) R1 this year.

• I was very impressed by the quality of the applicants. The pool selected seemed to be composed of very smart, personable people -- people I would be happy to have as classmates. I imagine you guys are just as strong, and look forward to meeting you as well next year. Perhaps some of us shall even be in the same section :)
  • Interviewing on-campus was definitely a good idea. If you can, do it. I advise that if you do, you sign up for a class visit either earlier in the day before your interview, or the day prior or something of that nature, such that you can talk about the HBS classroom environment during your interview. HBS is big on the case method, and Dee Leopold has said repeatedly they're trying to find people who fit well into a case method classroom. Talk about *specific* ways you'd be a good fit in this environment - things you think you can add to the classroom through your experiences that are unique and a reason they would want to have you as part of that classroom. If you've already visited a HBS class, or will have by the time you interviewed, don't sign up for a second one - due to space constraints they want people to only visit one class per application round, and you already have the experience to draw upon in your interview, so a second one isn't necessary. Also, go to all the sessions they have during your interview day! They had a career panel discussion, a session hosted by students, a session hosted by faculty, etc -- go! That's just more material you can bring up and talk about in your interview to show how strongly you're interested in the school, and that you've done your due diligence to determine HBS is a good fit for you.
  • My interviewer was very kind and friendly, however, basically had a poker face my entire interview, even as I was talking about what I thought to be my strongest points. This made me think that she wasn't impressed with my work experience, background, and decisions. From what I heard from other people who interviewed (and subsequently were accepted) as well, this is common. It, however, really threw me off -- don't let it get to you. The thirty minutes flies by, and as I stood up to walk out, I found myself a bit overwhelmed/concerned that I had not gotten enough good points through, or that I had horribly screwed some questions up, as she at no point seemed particularly moved by anything I was saying. I over-thought every question in the coming month after, and was convinced that I had bombed the interview. Don't do it. The interviewer probably liked you just fine, and you probably did not bomb the interview. It's their job to have that pokerface, and from what I've heard, all the people who had interviews like mine also got in. The one guy who I met who did NOT get in was the guy who said "man my interview went so great, that was so easy, I definitely crushed that, I'll be stunned if I don't get accepted." So, don't over-think it. My HBS interview was unique in this manner from every other school I interviewed at (MIT, Wharton), so even if you have had interviews at other schools, HBS can be a little different. It's normal, don't worry about it.
  • After you interview, you have to write a post-interview reflection (PIR) within 24 hours. I found this to actually be an excellent exercise, and I really appreciated HBS having this. As I mentioned above, there were a few things I felt I hadn't gotten the opportunity to cover, and really wanted to, and my PIR was where I did that. I don't think a good PIR alone can save a bad interview, or a bad PIR alone can ruin a good interview, but I do think it definitely is helpful if you were borderline. My word of advice about the PIR: be honest but positive! I've read about people focusing on everything they messed up in it, but I believe Dee Leopold reads *every* PIR herself. I doubt she wants to read a page about all the ways you messed up, when it's probably the 10th PIR that way she has read that day. Would a PIR like that make you really want to admit that student? If there are areas of concern, address them, but keep it in a positive light/upbeat/optimistic.
  • I also know some people walk out of the interview and sit down immediately after and write their PIR and submit it. I don't advise this. I'd take extensive notes on what was said in your interview, for yourself, right afterwards so you don't forget things, and maybe start a draft of your PIR, but I really recommend sleeping on it before submitting it. You have 24 hours. Take the time to think about what you want to convey. I was a little bit shell-shocked walking out of my interview and had a much more negative than I did after sleeping on it. Think about how many days you spent crafting, editing, etc, your essays. I think it's foolish to rush the PIR. They give you 24 hours, use them.

Overall the interview was a positive experience, even if a little daunting. You guys will all do fine! Best of luck.

Originally posted by asymmetric on 30 Jan 2014, 07:50.
Last edited by asymmetric on 30 Jan 2014, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Cannot believe it. It's a yes for me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
Haha I love this thread. It's like the HBS applicant support group. I wonder if any HBS Adcoms ever peek around in here and laugh at us.

There was less time between the deadline and wave 1...so wave 1 had to be smaller this year!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round 2 Interview Invitations
Good morning!

Tomorrow, January 29th, we will send out the first of two waves of interview invitations. We hope this will be at 12:00 noon Boston time and they will arrive as an email from Harvard Business School. Interview invitations contain detailed information about locations and the process for signing up for an interview.

We will send many, but not all invitations tomorrow. The second wave will go out on February 5th. At that time we will also send releases to candidates who are not being invited to interview. There will also be a small number of candidates we would like to further consider in Round 3.

All 2+2 interview decisions will be sent on February 5.

I'm aware of all the speculation about how many invitations go out in each wave and if certain geographies or backgrounds are more likely to go out in the first vs. second wave. How we split up these waves varies from year to year and to avoid a lot of algorithms being built out there by those with far more sophisticated quant skills than we possess in Dillon, I'd rather just leave it at many and some. I can assure you that geography and background have nothing to do with the waves - it's all about human beings here in Dillon reading a lot of applications thoroughly. We devote a great amount of effort to finding the right balance between minimizing your wait-time and maximizing the care and attention we give to each application. We are not running your applications through any kind of machine - we're reading them. And reading again.

If you don't receive an invitation on January 29th, please don't send in additional materials or letters of support. I understand the impulse, but please don't.

And, as always, I really do understand that waiting is hard.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck guys! I remember how nervous I was four months ago at this time.

Just hang in there, and if you don't get an invite today don't freak out, there really is a second wave -- I've met some students who got invited in the second wave for R1 already.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [5]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
I want Wed to come, but I don't want Wed to come. Anyone else feel me? FC candidate here, so the dream has been kept alive for four months. Sometimes it's better not to know...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Sure way to know how many invites were sent out would be to ask those who's gotten interview invites to check how many interview slots are signed up by the end of the sign up period. Anyone?

That doesn't actually affect your own probability of receiving an invite, all these fretting is pretty much meaningless after you hit the submit button and before you receive a decision. But does shed some light on the probability that they have already read your application. Again, it's meaningless because it doesn't affect the outcome either way. But the fact is that the application has been so consuming there's no way I can stop reading into what I know to be meaningless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary wrote:
boulderbiker wrote:
yepgirlnope wrote:
Anyone know if there is a Facebook group for admitted students?

curious about this as well..

You guys should create one, if there is none :)

Ok I'm on it. Check back soon.

Heeeere we go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hbsmba2016/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Schools: HBS '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
comisads23 wrote:
Can't believe that the long, arduous app process is officially done. Got the confirmation from HBS a little after noon.

Anyone else find themselves nitpicking their essay up to the last minute? Amazing how you never truly feel "done."

yes absolutely. and not just the essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.86
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best... good luck to all!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts