Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 1

Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 11:16
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone,
Thought I would take the time to create a new topic regarding waitlisted applicants for the class of 2016. I was waitlisted and would like to get some conversation going regarding other people's plans, as well as thoughts as we all move through the waitlist process. Looking forward to starting some discussion!



Roll Call



NOTE :- The above list updates automatically as and when users update their application Status. If your name is not in the list, please check and update your application status or post in this thread.



Waitlist Management
Compilation of the best waitlist Strategies


Calling all Waitlisting candidates 2013 GMATCLUB Thread
Calling all Waitlisting candidates 2012 GMATCLUB Thread
CLEAR ADMIT : The Waitlist
CLEAR ADMIT : Waitlist Correspondence
CLEAR ADMIT : Navigating the Waitlist
VERITAS : I'm Waitlisted......Now What?
FORBES Article :How To Get Off The Wait List

HBS Admission Director wrote:

What's the Difference Between "Waitlist" and "Further Consideration?"
I think there's some confusion out there about these categories so here's an attempt at getting inside our "glossary of terms":

Further Consideration (FC): We've reviewed your written application and have decided to neither move you forward to "interview" nor "deny" at this time. One reason is that we have a finite number of interview spots we can offer and still keep to our promised December 11 notification date. The other is that we can't see Round 2 applications before we need to make final Round 1 decisions - December 11 is the Round 1 notification date and the Round 2 application deadline is January 6. So we'd like to hold on to you and "further consider" your application in Round 2. We anticipate being able to interview a meaningful number of those "FCs" in February/March. Once in the interview group, these candidates have the same chances of being admitted as any other interviewee - somewhere between 50% and 60%.

Waitlist: No one is on the waitlist at this moment. After all interviews in Round 1 are completed, on December 11 candidates (all of whom have been interviewed) will receive one of the following three decisions: “Yes," "No" or "Waitlist." Waitlisters will receive periodic updates and be able to contact a designated Dillon staff member. We know it's not what you planned for, but the waitlist is an active category and every year we admit in the range of 50-75 waitlisters into the class.

So...the lingo we use is "FC" and "Waitlist." We don't use the term "Deferred" - adding another term would just confuse us!

It is highly unlikely that a candidate would be FC’d in Round 1, interviewed in Round 2, and then placed on the Waitlist in Round 2. Sort of an Endless Application Season. Yikes.



Here is a Waitlist chat transcript from Feb 4th Chat with students from Booth, Johnson, and Yale


Attachment:
WL Chat Transcript dtd 04.02.2014.pdf [555.69 KiB]
Downloaded 41 times
To download please login or register as a user





Here is a recording of the webinar:





Here is the PPT Jon used in his presentation


Attachment:
Admissionado_DLontheWL(2).pdf [5.6 MiB]
Downloaded 33 times
To download please login or register as a user


Last edited by Narenn on 05 Feb 2014, 13:31, edited 8 times in total.
IMP Links, Roll Call, and HBS Director's note Added.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 09:55
Any waitlisters out there?!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 12:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello all,
Thought I would try and get this topic going again. For those that have been waitlisted in Round I and have been accepted to other schools, what is your plan regarding the deposit deadlines?

Also, I'm curious if anyone else is thinking of putting a "stake in the ground" so to speak regarding when you will make a decision to attend another program. I will be moving with my wife, so we will need to have several months advance notice for her to find a new job, so I have thought about imposing a deadline on myself..."If I don't get in off that waitlist by X date, then I am going to tell them to take me off."

What are others thoughts on this?
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1165
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 843

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 08:23
Expert's post
Hello Everybody,

I have updated the first post of Main Application thread with Admission events to be conducted in Jan & Feb 2014, Employment statistics for class of 2013, and Internship statistics for class of 2014. Do visit the thread.

Good luck to all!
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 215
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 90 [3] , given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 04:36
3
This post received
KUDOS
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Registration Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/531329318
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
_________________

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12093
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8411 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 12:37
Expert's post

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM
Where: GMAT Club Chat



The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:



_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V49
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 14:30
Any updates from anyone?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Concentration: General Management
Schools: HBS '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 08:44
Congrats to those from R1 Waitlist who got an admit on R2 decision day. I can totally imagine how tough the wait has been.
I'm wait listed after R2 interview. Would appreciate if someone who has done research on HBS waitlist movement, can shed some light on the process (how was the HBS communication pattern after R1 decision day) and also the chances of making the final cut.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 08:54
gamesfreak wrote:
Congrats to those from R1 Waitlist who got an admit on R2 decision day. I can totally imagine how tough the wait has been.
I'm wait listed after R2 interview. Would appreciate if someone who has done research on HBS waitlist movement, can shed some light on the process (how was the HBS communication pattern after R1 decision day) and also the chances of making the final cut.


Well, I was released from the waitlist today but can share my experience from the last few months as well as what I was able to put together from the past couple years.

- At one point there were 127 people on the post-interview round 1 waitlist, roughly consistent with past years
- They accepted people from that pool last week, with release/continued waitlist decision today
- In past years ~50 people were accepted from this pool prior to r2 notifications
- The waitlist pool now includes those remaining from r1 and r2 additions. My understanding is that this pool will be used to "fill in" the class as people choose other schools or change their plans at the last minute (i.e., no big batch acceptances like last week)

Of course, this is just me piecing things together so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck, I hope you get in :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Concentration: General Management
Schools: HBS '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 02:35
mswil wrote:
gamesfreak wrote:
Congrats to those from R1 Waitlist who got an admit on R2 decision day. I can totally imagine how tough the wait has been.
I'm wait listed after R2 interview. Would appreciate if someone who has done research on HBS waitlist movement, can shed some light on the process (how was the HBS communication pattern after R1 decision day) and also the chances of making the final cut.


Well, I was released from the waitlist today but can share my experience from the last few months as well as what I was able to put together from the past couple years.

- At one point there were 127 people on the post-interview round 1 waitlist, roughly consistent with past years
- They accepted people from that pool last week, with release/continued waitlist decision today
- In past years ~50 people were accepted from this pool prior to r2 notifications
- The waitlist pool now includes those remaining from r1 and r2 additions. My understanding is that this pool will be used to "fill in" the class as people choose other schools or change their plans at the last minute (i.e., no big batch acceptances like last week)

Of course, this is just me piecing things together so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck, I hope you get in :)


Many thanks for your post. Very informative. For what it's worth, I can fully appreciate both the disappointment and relief of the situation you find yourself in. Hope you get to chase your dreams.

I've resigned to the fact, that getting in from the R2 waitlist is a very difficult task (even less likely than R1 - probably because it's a larger and more selective list competing for fewer empty slots). From some historical data on HBS Guru's blog they admit about 50 off the R1 waitlist and about 20-25 from the waitlist after R2 decision day. Can't crib for not making the final cut because it is such an ultra-competitive pool of applicants.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 05:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a R2 applicant/waitlisted. Tough news when you expecting a decision and for the process to finally be over, but better than the sting of rejection. Really an incredible accomplishment. I think I will withdraw from the waitlist and keep working. The thought of putting together applications and going through interviews all over again in a year or two is a bit overwhelming, but I'm on the younger side. Here's hoping that a shorter list will in some way help one of you awesome waitlisters!

But anyway, truly, congratulations to all of you.

Posted from my mobile device Image
HBS Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 64
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 67

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 11:57
bschool purgatory...sucks.

and thanks winter121 for the update. hope to see one (or a few!) of us get an admit call in the coming months.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 12:34
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?
HBS Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 64
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 67

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 14:17
SteveJackson wrote:
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?


hard to say. my take is that the waitlist is the default option, and you should contact HBS only if you are opting out or you have a pressing question. Aside from that, the website says they will not process any additional material, so I think we just need to stay put. that's just my general sense of the waitlist, but i welcome any additional perspective, especially if what I'm saying is totally off.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 07:04
tdawg wrote:
SteveJackson wrote:
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?


hard to say. my take is that the waitlist is the default option, and you should contact HBS only if you are opting out or you have a pressing question. Aside from that, the website says they will not process any additional material, so I think we just need to stay put. that's just my general sense of the waitlist, but i welcome any additional perspective, especially if what I'm saying is totally off.


Yeah, I'm under the same impression. Does anyone have an estimate of the odds of admission for Rd 2 waitlisters? I've read a few things online, and would guess our odds are around 10-15%, though I have absolutely nothing factual to support that guess. For what it's worth, it's a gut feeling.

Good luck to everyone - fingers crossed!
HBS Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 64
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 67

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 08:32
SteveJackson wrote:
tdawg wrote:
SteveJackson wrote:
What happens from here? Do we sit tight, or is there any contact we should make with the Admissions team?


hard to say. my take is that the waitlist is the default option, and you should contact HBS only if you are opting out or you have a pressing question. Aside from that, the website says they will not process any additional material, so I think we just need to stay put. that's just my general sense of the waitlist, but i welcome any additional perspective, especially if what I'm saying is totally off.


Yeah, I'm under the same impression. Does anyone have an estimate of the odds of admission for Rd 2 waitlisters? I've read a few things online, and would guess our odds are around 10-15%, though I have absolutely nothing factual to support that guess. For what it's worth, it's a gut feeling.

Good luck to everyone - fingers crossed!


gamesfreak's numbers seem pretty reasonable to me with roughly 50 r1 waitlisters off and probably around 20-25 r2 waitlisters likely to get off. I'm thinking that the overall application pool was slightly larger this year, so maybe there's about 200 of us on the waitlist, giving us about a 10%-15% shot of getting in.

we are back to square one, except now everybody IS qualified. psychologically, at least for me, it's been tough going from >50% shot post-interview to ~10%.

of course, it has little to do with probabilities at this point - it's all about the uniqueness/fit of our profile. i have a pretty unique background, but according to some current students somebody with a VERY similar profile got in r1...unless this person decides to attend GSB instead, I can't help to think that I'm toast. maybe the school will want both of us, but it's not the typical pedigree background that has several HBS admits each year.

anyway, i'm just rationalizing here since i need to blow off some steam after such an emotionally draining 48 hours...peace.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2013
Posts: 19
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 11:21
good luck to all

Last edited by A237 on 01 Apr 2014, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Concentration: General Management
Schools: HBS '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 00:16
tdawg wrote:

gamesfreak's numbers seem pretty reasonable to me with roughly 50 r1 waitlisters off and probably around 20-25 r2 waitlisters likely to get off. I'm thinking that the overall application pool was slightly larger this year, so maybe there's about 200 of us on the waitlist, giving us about a 10%-15% shot of getting in.

we are back to square one, except now everybody IS qualified. psychologically, at least for me, it's been tough going from >50% shot post-interview to ~10%.

of course, it has little to do with probabilities at this point - it's all about the uniqueness/fit of our profile. i have a pretty unique background, but according to some current students somebody with a VERY similar profile got in r1...unless this person decides to attend GSB instead, I can't help to think that I'm toast. maybe the school will want both of us, but it's not the typical pedigree background that has several HBS admits each year.

anyway, i'm just rationalizing here since i need to blow off some steam after such an emotionally draining 48 hours...peace.


You hit the nail on the head. Tough going from >50% post interview to ~10% post waitlist.
I think the only thing waitlisters can secretly hope for is that H&S Dual Admits chose Stanford (any stats on this year?) and that R3 applications this year aren't as strong as usual. IMO, I don't think we'll hear back till Mid May on how things will pan out.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know how HBS manages yields with regard to Waitlist. When they say 90% yield, does it mean for a class of 900 people, they give out 1000 straight admits (already assuming that 100 won't join and leave for Stanford/other dreams???). So is it fair to say that waitlists open up, only if >100 people drop out? - or is it more complicated that that?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 10:33
Good question, gamesfreak. I would be interested to know how the waitlist is managed, too.

Another random question: are fellowships available for admits off the waitlist? Does anyone know of a person admitted from the waitlist who also received fellowships or scholarships?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Schools: HBS '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 01:58
Has anyone heard anything yet? Are they gonna update us this month or not before May 2?
Re: Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 01:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Foster Class of 2016 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! kpottem 2 08 Feb 2014, 12:00
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Marshall 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants! Narenn 43 28 Dec 2013, 06:13
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Darden Class of 2016 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants Narenn 33 26 Dec 2013, 21:11
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg Class of 2016 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants ricecake 274 19 Dec 2013, 00:42
411 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 tdawg 1093 21 Apr 2013, 03:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 79 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.