Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship) [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 08:11
I have a hypothetical question for fellow GMAT Club members. I'm interested in seeing what everyone's thoughts are on this and how you weigh the pros and cons. (and hopefully this will help me figure out some inner struggles I have)

If you were accepted to Harvard/Wharton/Stanford with no scholarship (meaning, you'd have to pay for it all in loans or savings) and to a Top European School such as LBS, Oxford, Insead, etc. with a scholarship that covers at least half of your tuition, which would you choose and why?

Some quick background on me
I'm going to apply for Fall 2012 entry and am in the process of deciding where to apply. My preliminary choices are Harvard, Wharton, Insead, Oxford, and LBS.

I have an undergrad in marketing with a GPA of 3.85, grad degree in economics and policy from Columbia (with GPA of 3.8) and 10 years of work experience in the new media/technology field.

My long term goal is to eventually work/live in Europe, focusing on business strategy in the mobile technology sector.

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 258 [2] , given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship) [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 20:01
This post received
KUDOS
if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't spend time thinking about these hypothetical situations.

I suggest you to apply to all of these schools, do some research about the schools before and after applying, and then decide once you have admitted in any of them (if you are). You are planning to apply to top schools so the chances of being admitted are not high (and very slim to get a scholarship), so it is not worth to think now about what would happen if I you're admitted to X with $$ and to Y without $$.

In my view, you should not consider the $$ a school offers the first reason to attend a school. I would only take into account the money if two schools interest you the same and you have not other reason to differentiate them.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
If your goal is to work in Europe then I think it would make a lot of sense to go to a European school so that you can build up European contacts

The European schools are less expensive anyway, so to go to one of those on a scholarship you'd save a lot of money vs a US school

I think the quality of facilities at the US schools may be better but in terms of quality of lecturers, links with industry and international classmates then the European schools are right up there

Also, if you want to work in Europe, why not decide which country, then do an MBA there and start building a life there
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well sir, since you want to work in Europe, you seem to have answered your question. :) Look at the stats. 90% of Euro-grads work in Europe (look at INSEAD for example).

If you can get more or less the same consulting or finance job (which you can) and not only do you get a scholarship but only have to pay one year in tuition, and end up with a similar salary then you are winning on all sides.

One caveat: If you plan on working somewhere outside of English-speaking Europe, be prepared to learn the language.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Harvard (no scholarship) vs Top Euro School (w/scholarship)   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2011, 22:51