Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has any international student ever applied in r3?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Has any international student ever applied in r3? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 16:59
I have heard that international students should not apply in r3 as there are visa issues and very few number of seats are available after r2. Is that true, if an international is not able to apply in r2 should he wait for next year or give it a try in r3? ANy idea??
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Has any international student ever applied in r3? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 17:56
punchain11 wrote:
I have heard that international students should not apply in r3 as there are visa issues and very few number of seats are available after r2. Is that true, if an international is not able to apply in r2 should he wait for next year or give it a try in r3? ANy idea??

It is definitely hard to get in by applying in R3. Well, I should say by applying in the school's last round (Cornell and UNC both have 4 rounds, so the 4th is the hard one there.) Unless you're some sort of amazing, world-renowned genius, apply as early as possible. Particularly to the top schools. Also, there usually is no scholarship money available in R3.

Some schools don't allow internationals to apply in R3, because of the visa issues. Even if you could apply that late, with bureaucracy the way it is, you're definitely taking a gamble.

But let's assume the visa would be ok. Some people say that schools don't like reapplicants, so if you apply in R3 and don't get in, you'd have a hard time the following year. You may want to choose a whole new set of schools. I don't have any hard data on it, and it may very well vary by the school, but being a reapplicant is probably not the most desirable circumstance.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Has any international student ever applied in r3? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 05:14
punchain11 wrote:
I have heard that international students should not apply in r3 as there are visa issues and very few number of seats are available after r2. Is that true, if an international is not able to apply in r2 should he wait for next year or give it a try in r3? Any idea??

I know a Russian girl who applied in R3 last year and was accepted in Darden. In R1&R2 she was consecutively dinged by several M7 schools.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
Last year Darden had 4 rounds also and I applied last round and got in. There were no VISA issues and I only went to try and get mine 3 weeks before coming to the states. I believe the Visa issues depend more on the US consulate services of your country. As I said before I apply for my Visa pretty late but got it on the next day. It's a common practice on the american embassy in Lisbon...

This being said, of course schools may not know this, hence they may not extend to many offers to internationals last round. Furthermore, they don't extend also many offers to americans...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 12:37
That's good to hear. I'm shooting for R3.

My country has a Free Trade Agreement with the US and a Visa Waiver program for tourists. Hopefully securing a student visa with only a gouple months notice won't be too much of a hassle.

Too bad Georgia Tech's deadline for int'ls is Jan 15th. Hope they can make an exception for me.
8-)
  [#permalink] 05 Dec 2007, 12:37