Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:35
Thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 08:53
The simple answer is yes -- we worked with a woman last year who was awarded one with her acceptance to Wharton.

It is a very competitive program but if you are awarded one, it comes with great prestige. Also, her credentials were very impressive and she worked the system hard to get this award.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:36
Thanks Kimberly, I was just browsing online and read from a Tepper MBA blog that almost all her female classmates were awarded this fellowship.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 7

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:01
Hi guys, I was awarded this Fellowship as part of one of my offers and I checked out the website - it looks like it is a great network for women but I'm not sure how exclusive it is. It appears that any female professional can pay a membership fee of $25 per year to be a member, whether or not they are in an MBA program. Perhaps the Forte Fellowships that are within a B School network are more prestigious (possibly the way a certain sorority's chapter has more standing on one campus than another even though it's the same national organization) but my general sense is, although it of course an honor to be awarded any special recognition in this already competitive process, you can still find ways to be involved even if you don't get it as part of your acceptance.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:48
Yes. There are Forte fellows at most top business schools.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 16:21
Thanks for the replies! So that means its not that exclusive?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 16:35
I think its fairly prestigious and a good addition to your resume - congrats!

Last edited by stayfrosty6 on 07 Feb 2013, 12:19, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 22:14
ManhattanReview wrote:
The simple answer is yes -- we worked with a woman last year who was awarded one with her acceptance to Wharton.

It is a very competitive program but if you are awarded one, it comes with great prestige. Also, her credentials were very impressive and she worked the system hard to get this award.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Could you explain "worked the system hard"? My understanding was that these were chosen by the school same as other scholarships. I know a classmate that was one, she came from a male dominated industry, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but would suspect this was a theme in apps.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2014, 21:49
londoncalling1 wrote:
Hi guys, I was awarded this Fellowship as part of one of my offers and I checked out the website - it looks like it is a great network for women but I'm not sure how exclusive it is. It appears that any female professional can pay a membership fee of $25 per year to be a member, whether or not they are in an MBA program. Perhaps the Forte Fellowships that are within a B School network are more prestigious (possibly the way a certain sorority's chapter has more standing on one campus than another even though it's the same national organization) but my general sense is, although it of course an honor to be awarded any special recognition in this already competitive process, you can still find ways to be involved even if you don't get it as part of your acceptance.

Whoa no.....anyone can pay $50/year to be a member of Forte's general network....but a Forte Fellowship is different. You have to be selected by the school for that (incidentally, the fellowship comes with free lifetime access to their general network). It is prestigious and exclusive.

It appears that only ~11 people/school are awarded the fellowship per year (class of 2014 has 465 fellows, and there are 42 member schools; though I'd imagine larger schools have more, and smaller schools have fewer). Schools like HBS, Wharton, CBS, Tuck, Anderson, Stern, and Haas participate. Source: http://www.fortefoundation.org/site/Pag ... 0Dpil5RFmo
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 12:28
Has anyone that has been told by their school that they are a Forte Fellow gotten any notice from the actual Forte Foundation as a confirmation?

Aaaaand is anyone going there from northern California and would like to let me be your carpool buddy? ;)
Re: Has anyone heard of the Forte fellowship?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2014, 12:28