Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [5] , given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
@All

In my opinion, the new Veritas tests are much better than the earlier ones. Please find below my review.

Quant

I'd say the Quant questions are fantastic. They are quite tricky and also mimic the real GMAT quant questions. I'll be slightly biased here by choosing Veritas quant over Manhattan quant because I felt the real GMAT questions weren't lengthy, as everyone says, but more analytical.Thumbs up Krishna/Brian/Team!

Verbal

The SC questions are difficult and good for practice, but the RC passages are quite easy. In the real GMAT, RC section has questions with convoluted answer choices.

I think it's really difficult to mimic the GMAT style and pattern in the CR questions. The same is true with Veritas, some of the questions are not properly phrased and have conflicting answers. But, some are really tough and tricky.

Scoring Accuracy

Mock Scores@Veritas

Test 1 : 710 (Q 48 V 40)
Test 2 : 670 (Q 47 V 35)
Test 3 : 730 (Q 48 V 43)
Test 4 : 690 (Q 50 V 35)

Actual GMAT: 700 (Q 44 V 41)

I'd say there is a significant improvement in Veritas scoring alogrithm too, as my actual GMAT score turns out to be average of all my mock scores.

Overall, I'd say Veritas tests are good for practice and definitely worth a try :thumbup:
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 16:05
I also just took the free Veritas CAT today. I got a 760 (49Q and 45V) which is very close to my GMATPrep score from a few weeks ago (750 - 49Q and 42V). My GMAT is in <2 weeks so I am very nervous and hope that they are accurate predictors!

The only thing I am not sure of is MGMAT - I consistently score 690 on those and cannot make 40 in verbal. Which test(s) verbals are closest to the real GMAT? I see that the person before me posted that some aspects of the Veritas verbal is slightly easier than the real GMAT...

PS: I found the debrief at the end of the Veritas CAT to be VERY helpful. I love graphs :P and the software provides great views on your timing and accuracy. Great job, Veritas!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 08:34
catalysis wrote:
I also just took the free Veritas CAT today. I got a 760 (49Q and 45V) which is very close to my GMATPrep score from a few weeks ago (750 - 49Q and 42V). My GMAT is in <2 weeks so I am very nervous and hope that they are accurate predictors!

The only thing I am not sure of is MGMAT - I consistently score 690 on those and cannot make 40 in verbal. Which test(s) verbals are closest to the real GMAT? I see that the person before me posted that some aspects of the Veritas verbal is slightly easier than the real GMAT...

PS: I found the debrief at the end of the Veritas CAT to be VERY helpful. I love graphs :P and the software provides great views on your timing and accuracy. Great job, Veritas!

I am in the same boat dear. After the frustrating MGMAT score on last sunday(680 Q48 V35), I took GMAT Prep2 yesterday and got 760(Q50 V42). I am not sure why the MGMAT made their algorithm this way. I understand it is tough to imitate the algo of GMAC, but the variance is too much.

However, I appreciate the question bank of MGMAT. Very nicely written questions in both Q & V and a very good practice of tough questions.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 17

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

I took Veritas Prep's 2 CATs and I liked them a lot. I feel that they are more representative of GMATprep. My scores were :
1) 720 - Q50 with 14 incorrect and V39 with 13 incorrect.
2) 740 - Q50 with 9 incorrect and V41 with 13 incorrect.

I could see more positives than negatives.

1) Quant questions were really good...although a little more difficult than official questions (I felt so) but for those aiming 50-51, the quant section is perfect. Unlike MGAMT CATs, these test had a good balance of difficulty levels. There was hardly a question that could be solved in less than a minute and none of the question was too difficult to consume more than 3 minutes.

2) Verbal was also excellent. The main problem with verbal was that there were only 3 RCs (although the number of questions was 13 only). I struggled in RCs as the passages were quiet long. If veritas reduce the length of RCs and accommodate one more RC, the performance will be more indicative of the actual GMAT scores.
CR was tough. Required me to think a lot before deciding the answer. One thing that I observed was CR questions were not lengthy. Official questions are generally lenthy but require less though process. Here it was exactly the other way round.
SC was fine. Some questions were really good.

The questions, on average, were difficult, both in quant and verbal. And in my opinion, for scoring 700+, it is necessary to solve questions that are more difficult than those that will appear in actual GMAT.
In all, Veritas CATs are better than any other CATs (except GMATprep). The best thing that I have come to know about these tests is that they contain experimental questions which no other test contain. Not even GMATprep. If they could tell which questions were experimental, it would be more helpful in analyzing the performance.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 04:22
utkmittal1 wrote:
Hi

I took Veritas Prep's 2 CATs and I liked them a lot. I feel that they are more representative of GMATprep. My scores were :
1) 720 - Q50 with 14 incorrect and V39 with 13 incorrect.
2) 740 - Q50 with 9 incorrect and V41 with 13 incorrect.

I could see more positives than negatives.

1) Quant questions were really good...although a little more difficult than official questions (I felt so) but for those aiming 50-51, the quant section is perfect. Unlike MGAMT CATs, these test had a good balance of difficulty levels. There was hardly a question that could be solved in less than a minute and none of the question was too difficult to consume more than 3 minutes.

2) Verbal was also excellent. The main problem with verbal was that there were only 3 RCs (although the number of questions was 13 only). I struggled in RCs as the passages were quiet long. If veritas reduce the length of RCs and accommodate one more RC, the performance will be more indicative of the actual GMAT scores.
CR was tough. Required me to think a lot before deciding the answer. One thing that I observed was CR questions were not lengthy. Official questions are generally lenthy but require less though process. Here it was exactly the other way round.
SC was fine. Some questions were really good.

The questions, on average, were difficult, both in quant and verbal. And in my opinion, for scoring 700+, it is necessary to solve questions that are more difficult than those that will appear in actual GMAT.
In all, Veritas CATs are better than any other CATs (except GMATprep). The best thing that I have come to know about these tests is that they contain experimental questions which no other test contain. Not even GMATprep. If they could tell which questions were experimental, it would be more helpful in analyzing the performance.

Hi utkmittal1,

Thanks for such a detailed feedback of the VeritasPrep test. Have you written the actual GMAT test? May I know how much you scored in the actual test?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 17

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
18.kartik wrote:

Hi utkmittal1,

Thanks for such a detailed feedback of the VeritasPrep test. Have you written the actual GMAT test? May I know how much you scored in the actual test?

Hi kartik

I scored 760 (Q50, V42). Veritas's scores were most accurate. Both in quant and verbal. Manhattan least accurate but for practice i would recommend that u go for MGMAT only...quality wise they are best.

Do tell me you scores in practice tests...I took them all and may be i can help :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 08:04
utkmittal1 wrote:
Hi kartik

I scored 760 (Q50, V42). Veritas's scores were most accurate. Both in quant and verbal. Manhattan least accurate but for practice i would recommend that u go for MGMAT only...quality wise they are best.

Do tell me you scores in practice tests...I took them all and may be i can help :)

Hi utkmittal1,

Thanks for your help. Actually, this is going to be my third attempt at the GMAT. I scored low the two times, 680 (missed last ~3 questions in both the sections) and 640 (got distracted during the verbal section) because I did not have a proper test taking strategy in place. Therefore, I have exhausted almost all the good study material and practice tests available (MGMAT CATs, GMAT prep and GMAT Prep exam pack). I am not very sure how accurate are the veritas perp mock tests, and that's where I need your advice.

2 days back I wrote the free practice test of veritas prep and scored a total of 760 (Q50, V44) with 13 ques wrong in quants and 13 ques wrong in verbal. Should I go ahead and buy Veritas Prep practice tests or are there even better tests available in the market?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 50

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
18.kartik wrote:
utkmittal1 wrote:
2 days back I wrote the free practice test of veritas prep and scored a total of 760 (Q50, V44) with 13 ques wrong in quants and 13 ques wrong in verbal. Should I go ahead and buy Veritas Prep practice tests or are there even better tests available in the market?

H Kartik,

I would caution you against trying to judge your performance based on the number of question you got right or wrong. Remember that it's an adaptive test, and if the system is correctly tracking your ability level, then it should be giving you many questions that are right around your ability level (meaning that you may get plenty of them wrong). If you're getting most questions right, then the system isn't giving you hard enough questions!

We wrote an in-depth blog post about this a little while ago:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/07 ... ice-tests/

Good luck in your studies!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 08:35
18.kartik wrote:
Hi utkmittal1,

Thanks for your help. Actually, this is going to be my third attempt at the GMAT. I scored low the two times, 680 (missed last ~3 questions in both the sections) and 640 (got distracted during the verbal section) because I did not have a proper test taking strategy in place. Therefore, I have exhausted almost all the good study material and practice tests available (MGMAT CATs, GMAT prep and GMAT Prep exam pack). I am not very sure how accurate are the veritas perp mock tests, and that's where I need your advice.

Hi Kartik

You are exactly where I was. My story was similar. You can buy Veritas Prep's exams but if you have not solved other tests, you cannot make strategy through Veritas only. Reason is simple. They give you only 3 RCs. I would recommend that you buy these test for practice. If you can solve all the verbal questions with 3-4mins to spare, you are in a good shape. Btw are you still struggling with speed in verbal?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 544

Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:49
Hey, just coming out of a Free Simulator from VeritasPrep. The test returned me a 730 (49 Quant and 42 verbal). On the percentile scale quant reached a sombre 83 and verbal an inspiring 93, but my dreams of pushing for a score in excess of 760 remain distant. My performace on SC and DS could easily be termed dismal! :-(
Is there something specific that I could do to actually achieve the 760+ that I so badly hope for?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
PS I have scored a 720 on MGmat free simulator too and it's heart-breaking to not inch past 750.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5360 [1] , given: 165

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Kconfused wrote:
Hey, just coming out of a Free Simulator from VeritasPrep. The test returned me a 730 (49 Quant and 42 verbal). On the percentile scale quant reached a sombre 83 and verbal an inspiring 93, but my dreams of pushing for a score in excess of 760 remain distant. My performace on SC and DS could easily be termed dismal! :-(
Is there something specific that I could do to actually achieve the 760+ that I so badly hope for?
PS I have scored a 720 on MGmat free simulator too and it's heart-breaking to not inch past 750.

I understand your desire to score in the 99%ile but take heart from the fact that 730 is not very different from 760 as far as the adcom is concerned. You seem to be on your way to above 80/80 which is perfectly good for most schools. Also, there is a good chance that you might actually score 750+ in the test - it all depends on whether you keep your wits during the test. A difference of 30-40 points in your score is normal especially at the higher end of the range since there are fewer people there and hence data is more scarce.

In SC, try to be as logical as you can be. Focus on finding a clear, concise and sensible sentence. You will probably see more high level questions in SC too which means there will be lot of focus on accuracy in meaning - keep that in mind.

As for DS, if you are good at PS, why the issues in DS? Just remember that at the end of the day, DS is only two PS questions in 1. It does take more time but the fundamentals are exactly the same.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:34
Hi,

I am looking to take my GMAT and to prepare for that I am looking for good GMAT instructors in South Korea. If anyone has any information please do share it with me. I am in need of a bit of help ASAP.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Instructors in Korea [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:34
Hi,

I am looking to take my GMAT and to prepare for that I am looking for good GMAT instructors in South Korea. If anyone has any information please do share it with me. I am in need of a bit of help ASAP.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 544

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 22:13
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Kconfused wrote:

I understand your desire to score in the 99%ile but take heart from the fact that 730 is not very different from 760 as far as the adcom is concerned. You seem to be on your way to above 80/80 which is perfectly good for most schools. Also, there is a good chance that you might actually score 750+ in the test - it all depends on whether you keep your wits during the test. A difference of 30-40 points in your score is normal especially at the higher end of the range since there are fewer people there and hence data is more scarce.

In SC, try to be as logical as you can be. Focus on finding a clear, concise and sensible sentence. You will probably see more high level questions in SC too which means there will be lot of focus on accuracy in meaning - keep that in mind.

As for DS, if you are good at PS, why the issues in DS? Just remember that at the end of the day, DS is only two PS questions in 1. It does take more time but the fundamentals are exactly the same.

Thanks a lot Karishma! This seemingly simple advice has greatly lifted my spirits and incidentally I have been directing myself in the direction you've mentioned since after the test. It has been paying dividends and I now feel much more confident of achieving the score I want. I have realized that after a certain point, it's a mental battle and it pays to keep my wits! Thanks a lot for your words! very reassuring! :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Journalism and Publishing)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 15:27
I am assuming that my case is an outlier, but after sitting the real GMAT this past Saturday, my score in Quant was substantially substantially lower in the actual exam than it was during the Veritas practice tests.

All tests were taken in the last month:

Test 1 - 750 Q49 V44
Test 2 - 730 Q48 V43
Test 3 - 710 Q48 V39
GMAT - 620 Q33 V41
Test 4 - 720 Q49 V40

I didn't feel that the GMAT quant was substantially more difficult or different than what I had been practicing for, nor did I feel especially stressed out. I am not quite sure what to chalk it up to.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-23-2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 05:14
Just took it today... At first it seemed to me to be so much easier than MGAMAT, so I just played with the questions and got some challenges later. Their Verbal is challenging specially in RC. Their quant seems to be easier, tough. Overall, worth taking it seriously to the end.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Analyst (Retail)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 16

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2014, 05:12
I have my GMAT scheduled at the end of next week. I have been practicing my test taking abilities with GMAT Prep tests(Exam Pack1), and Veritas CATs, which I purchased after reading the reviews from a lot of the people on this forum. Since I have already taken my GMAT twice (680- 49Q, 34V; 700- 49Q, 35V), I have exhausted both, the two GMAT Prep CATs, which I had got originally, and the MGMAT CATs. Following are the scores that I have obtained on these Tests:-

GMAT Prep 3( Exam Pack1) - September 1, 2014 - 740 (49Q, 41V, IR 5)
Veritas CAT1 - September 4, 2014 - 720 (49Q, 40V, IR 4) (Q-16 incorrect, V-13 incorrect)
Veritas CAT2 - September 5, 2014 - 740 (50Q, 41V, IR 5) (Q-16 incorrect, V-13 incorrect)

The quant section has tricky questions - i do not find them inordinately easier than those on the GMAT Prep CATs. The verbal is also quite challenging as the questions at times are designed to test you on the exceptions to the rule. Some of the CR questions actually become a question of data sufficiency questions where you need to plug in a variety of values to get to the right assumption/conclusion. Overall they are a very good workout.

I would appreciate if somebody from Veritas (Karishma, Scott etc.) or anyone out here on the forum practicing on these CATs could help me interpret the results and guide me what more I can do to breach the 750-760 mark. My biggest challenge has been time management - I am trying hard to get out of the habit of getting stuck at the initial questions, a habit that leaves me insufficient time to tackle the questions in the end.

Thanks!
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2014, 05:12