Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi!

This is my first post to the GMAT club forum--

I have been studying since Fall 2009 for the GMAT and I went into this really nervous as I am not a good standardized test taker...I got a 1250 on my SATs back in the day but pulled a 4.0 in the first 2 years at Carnegie Mellon (my Dean actually told me that according to CMU's chart, they anticipated my first year GPA to actually be more like a 3.0 or slightly less, never knew they had such a thing to analyze students when they first enter college!)

I've always thought my Quant was the super weak side but it appears that its slightly stronger than my Verbal though sometimes they're also just even!

Anyhow, here are my stats so far:

Asian
Female
28 (just turned 28 :)
Carnegie Mellon University Undergrad: Double Major History Policy & International Relations with a Chinese Minor
3.83 GPA
Target Schools: USC, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon and Wharton (though that's a crazy thought at the moment with my GMAT)

December 14th, 2009: GMAT 560 29V/38Q

(felt super disappointed as I had hoped for a 600 at least and I had been going thru the Manhattan GMAT books on my own and OG problems and practice tests and I THINK I had been scoring roughly 620s in the MGMAT practice tests and the GMAT Prep Tests)

regrouped, got a private tutor, studied with her twice a week for 3 hours at a time trying to ensure I knew my math/number properties in and out but I think her math wasn't as strong as I had hoped and there were times I figured stuff out before she did =(
and often times, for Verbal, she just said she didn't know how to explain why the correct SC answer was better than the 2nd best one :(

Along the way though, I took more practice tests (but I dont know if the practice paper tests from GMAT were not good practice tests as they have different structure, different timing and also it goes from easy to hard which I think makes it easier for me anyhow since I feel "eased" into the problems

I also have a tendency to hold onto a problem even if itstoo hard or too much time has passed, especially the initial 5-10 math ones I encounter, I feel like I freeze, but with the official GMAT paper tests, I felt much more at ease since the first 5 are usually pretty easy for each math section

Has anyone else found it helpful to use the GMAT official paper tests from before or just skip those completely?

2/11/10 Paper Test 14 660 37V/45Q

2/17/10 Paper Test 31 650 36V/44Q

2/22/10 Manhattan GMAT CAT#6 690 39V/45Q

2/24/10 Paper Test 28 670 38V/44Q

3/2/10 Paper Test 42 680 42V/42Q

3/6/10 GMAT Prep #1 690 40V/44Q

3/13/10 GMAT Prep #2 670 38V/44Q

AND THEN

March 15th, 2010: GMAT 560 36V/32Q
I was stunned by this setback, especially such a huge drop in math

I couldn't even tell it was going so badly as I seem to be a very bad gauge of how these tests are going...sometimes I have felt like quitting while taking my practice tests just cos I felt so frustrated with not knowing how to do some of the (so many in my head) math problems and I feel like I can't focus on the Verbal section...but I always pushed through and all those times I atleast scored above 650!

THis time during the actual GMAT (actually both times in December and in March most recently) I felt calm I thought, I didn't feel like I did amazing--since I dont think I could be THAT confident or I may jinx myself LOL...but each time the score floored me.

Anyhow, I enrolled in the Veritas Prep course on Tue/Thursdays in the Tysons, VA area and am wondering if anyone has any tips...I was on a pretty rigorous practice test-taking schedule before and doing many problems...and now I'm trying to focus my energy on areas I need more work in (knowing number properties IN AND OUT AND mixed with other types of problems, rate problems and sentence correction)

I've read many stories of people improving by leaps and bounds and that really has helped me keep my head up...

Also curious if anyone else has had experiences with Veritas Prep that they would like to share...and how accurate the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams are???

I am taking my first GMAT practice test since my March 15th disaster...doing it on the Veritas Prep GMAT Simulator CAT exam #1 but would like to know how other people thought about the test itself and how it compared with their experiences in MGMAT and GMAT Prep etc :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9441 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club!

I would not get too concerned as you have a proven track record with the GMAT prep, which is the most accurate indicator. I have not seen Veritas scores for a little while, so may take a bit of time to find somebody in the same boat...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 50

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
calisnoopy wrote:
Also curious if anyone else has had experiences with Veritas Prep that they would like to share...and how accurate the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams are???

I am taking my first GMAT practice test since my March 15th disaster...doing it on the Veritas Prep GMAT Simulator CAT exam #1 but would like to know how other people thought about the test itself and how it compared with their experiences in MGMAT and GMAT Prep etc :)

Hello!

We don't deliberately design the tests to be harder than the official GMAT (we believe the practice tests should be as close to the real deal as possible), but, anecdotally, our students report that they tend to do 20-30 points better on the official GMAT. That difference seems to be driven more by verbal than quant. So, I'm being a little fast and loose with the numbers now, but I would say that, if the total score difference is 30 points, maybe 10 points are coming from Quant and 20 from Verbal. (That's an average across thousands of students.)

Again, we do aim to make our practice tests as close to the real test as possible, and we make adjustments to them frequently. But, I'd say that they tend to be slightly harder than the real test, on average.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Carnegie Mellon Tepper (R2), Duke (R2), Notre Dame (R2), Georgetown (R2), UVA Darden (R2), USC (R2), Kellogg (R2)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:42
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club!

I would not get too concerned as you have a proven track record with the GMAT prep, which is the most accurate indicator. I have not seen Veritas scores for a little while, so may take a bit of time to find somebody in the same boat...

thanks for your reply/welcome!!

hopefully i will hear something from others who have taken the Veritas GMAT simulated tests though it seems a bit new too so maybe thats why not many have tried it out...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
quixx23 wrote:
calisnoopy wrote:

Hello!

We don't deliberately design the tests to be harder than the official GMAT (we believe the practice tests should be as close to the real deal as possible), but, anecdotally, our students report that they tend to do 20-30 points better on the official GMAT. That difference seems to be driven more by verbal than quant. So, I'm being a little fast and loose with the numbers now, but I would say that, if the total score difference is 30 points, maybe 10 points are coming from Quant and 20 from Verbal. (That's an average across thousands of students.)

Again, we do aim to make our practice tests as close to the real test as possible, and we make adjustments to them frequently. But, I'd say that they tend to be slightly harder than the real test, on average.

Scott

Hi Scott!!

I just took my first Veritas Simulated GMAT CAT test yesterday after starting this thread--to try it out and jump back into things since my March 15th official GMAT test...

Will post some comments/review on the exam in a little bit...

Thanks!
Cory
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:50
Took the Veritas GMAT simulated CAT #1 test yesterday

610 34V/41Q

It's online, nothing to download...

Interface was okay, very white background, you can adjust the font size, has a timer that counts down at the top left corner and the problem number you are on at the top right corner

Overall Thoughts

-felt that the Math was a bit too easy, I've missed many more on MGMAT GMAT tests and scored higher on the Math section
-don't recall any exponent problems which i was surprised about
-data sufficiency problems didn't seem challenging enough
-Verbal seemed the most off
-near the tail end of my Verbal, i think i had about 7-8 SC problems straight which is unusual right?
-also the RC passages were very difficult to read, not in a challenging way but the subject matters were also off...philosophy and ethical issues...i didn't have a science RC passage

I think I'll stick to the MGMAT and GMAT Prep ones for now and if I run out will hit up the Kaplan 2009 CD for more testing...and also work on OG problems for math and verbal since I know verbal is the hardest to replicate questions on...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9441 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 14:48
Expert's post
Thanks for the feedback - i have added it the all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html thread

And here: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 00:23
Hi!

This is my first time posting, and I tried VEritas practice test and as I agreet with casnoopy's overview of the test.

calsnoopy: You may think I'm making this up, but I've been getting extremely similar grades as yours! Even the actual test's score! It's really frustrating to get a score way different from the scores you've been getting on the practice tests. Trust me, I know it... :wink:

So are you attending any prep currently? I'm planning to take a crash course, as I'm taking another test next month. Not sure which one would be worth the bang. I was planning to take the MGMAT, but it seems that I have to take the private tutoring, as they don't have any courses for such short period of time.

So how 's studying going? Did u decide to take the Veritas course?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
WE 1: Engineer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 10:05
Took Veritas Test Today. Got

650 33v/48q

I don't know how good representative is it of actual GMAT test. But I was expecting better score.

Explanation to some questions is not satisfactory.

Quant
1. Tony's Auto dealership

Verbal
1. CR- Meeting on environmental threats
SC- none of the options was satisfactory in many questions, leading to wrong answers.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 01:48
hi,

I just took the veritas free test and got 760 (Q51,V46) .. i think it's quite accurate .. :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 00:59
Q49 V42 but got only 690
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 18:25
quixx23 wrote:
calisnoopy wrote:

Hello!

Scott

very good to know! thank you
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 06:38
jhkaas wrote:
hi,

I just took the veritas free test and got 760 (Q51,V46) .. i think it's quite accurate .. :)

Great score buddy :) .........I got 100 less :( 660(Q47,V37) ........

I got 49-50 in Quant in every test simulator I have tried till now ...think something is wrong with the scoring algorithm ......

Verbal questions also were easy compared to others (Kaplan, Princeton Review) ......but ultimately my scores didn't improve ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
vudsri000 wrote:
jhkaas wrote:
hi,

I got 49-50 in Quant in every test simulator I have tried till now ...think something is wrong with the scoring algorithm ......

Verbal questions also were easy compared to others (Kaplan, Princeton Review) ......but ultimately my scores didn't improve ;)

Thnx Vudsri ... just took the actual GMAT yesterday and got a score of 740 (Q50,V40) .. So, it's slightly less than the veritas test .. even from my experience i felt that veritas test was a bit easier than the actual GMAT .. however,GMATprep was the most accurate indicator (I got exactly 740 on GMATprep also) ... so,maybe you should take a GMATprep test and rely on that rather than on any other test,and if it's slightly less than the veritas score,you can be doubly sure about the accuracy of the GMATprep score :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 09:01
jhkaas wrote:
vudsri000 wrote:
jhkaas wrote:
hi,

Thnx Vudsri ... just took the actual GMAT yesterday and got a score of 740 (Q50,V40) .. So, it's slightly less than the veritas test .. even from my experience i felt that veritas test was a bit easier than the actual GMAT .. however,GMATprep was the most accurate indicator (I got exactly 740 on GMATprep also) ... so,maybe you should take a GMATprep test and rely on that rather than on any other test,and if it's slightly less than the veritas score,you can be doubly sure about the accuracy of the GMATprep score :)

On other hand, may be my veritas score is an anomaly ... dunno
Manager
Manager

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 09:14
jhkaas wrote:

Am a little sorry for u not scoring 760 in actual GMAT but still happy that you got 740 (thats not bad either ) Congrats...........

Ya true we can't rely on any of these Test Simulators.....GMAT Prep is the closest approximation ........
Manager
Manager

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 09:19
calisnoopy wrote:

2/11/10 Paper Test 14 660 37V/45Q

2/17/10 Paper Test 31 650 36V/44Q

2/22/10 Manhattan GMAT CAT#6 690 39V/45Q

2/24/10 Paper Test 28 670 38V/44Q

3/2/10 Paper Test 42 680 42V/42Q

3/6/10 GMAT Prep #1 690 40V/44Q

3/13/10 GMAT Prep #2 670 38V/44Q

AND THEN

March 15th, 2010: GMAT 560 36V/32Q
I was stunned by this setback, especially such a huge drop in math

Sorry for what happened with you .......

But one question how are you able to scale your scores on Paper GMAT ???
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 16:58
Hi all,

My first post on GMAT Club (I think :)). I took the GMAT in 2006 and score 660. Don't remember the scaled scores. I'm taking it again next Saturday (August 14) and here are my recent practice test scores:

1st GMAT attempt - 2006 - 660
Test 1 - Veritas Prep - 800 Score - 630
Test 2 - Veritas Prep - 800 Score - 540
Test 3 - Veritas Prep - 800 Score - 720
Test 4 - GMAT Prep 1 - 660
Test 5 - Veritas Prep - 800 Score - 680
Test 6 - Veritas Prep - 800 Score - 630
Test 7 - Veritas Prep - GMAT Simulator - 570
Test 8 - Veritas Prep - GMAT Simulator - 630
Test 9 - Veritas Prep - GMAT Simulator - 650

GMAT Simulator quant section is definitely easier but verbal section is way tougher, in my opinion. I was average scaled score of 36 in Quant - and in my first GMAT Simulator test, I started at 40 scaled score in Quant. Au contraire, my lowest verbal scaled score prior to GMAT Simulator had been 40 -- and I started with a scaled score of 26 with this test.

To sum it up -- verbal: tougher, quant: easier. Having said that, these tests are giving me confidence and making me work better under pressure. I'm also solving a lot of problems (even though a level easier than the actual GMAT). Hoping that all this practice will help me next week in my 2nd stab at the GMAT!

Hope this helps. Will be happy to provide more info.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas-Columbia, Wharton, UCLA, Kellog, Booth
WE 1: 10 yrs in Healthcare IT

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:32
I just took Veritas and scored 650 only(Q49, V34). Quants was way too easy, I got only 6 wrong and the first 15 correct, still it scored me only 49. Verbal was ok, but RC first passage was very tough and I ended up getting only 34. Can anyone let me know how Veritas verbal fair compared to the real one"?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 02:14
This thread is obviously well beyond it's intended use.

Locked.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Re: Has anyone taken the Veritas Prep's GMAT Simulator CAT exams   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2010, 02:14