Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have a ibd bb ny offer, should I only consider mbb?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Have a ibd bb ny offer, should I only consider mbb? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 13:49
Hey clubbers,

Long time reader, wanted to get some advice. Did banking internship in a great group at a bb (think cs/baml) this summer, got an offer. Good senior people in group, but lifestyle seemed a bit too rough for me. I also know I am more soft skill oriented, and think consulting would be a better fit. But, i also hear people burn out w the traveling. I could see myself doing banking as I like the people in my banking group. I don't plan to do either for more than a few years, ultimately want c-level. So my question is, is it worth it to take consulting offers besides mbb? Think kearney and ow. Will that open as many corporate doors as banking? Sorry, don't mean to sound arrogant or anything. This is kind of urgent, so would appreciate any advice.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Have a ibd bb ny offer, should I only consider mbb? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 16:49
It is really your call. I have never been fully convinced of how strong the path from IB to C-suite is, but in many ways I think the opportunity is much more about you than what role you do out of business school. The opportunities outside of CFO roles appear much more open to consultants in my opinion, but then that in turn is because the ability to get into industry from those roles appears more prevalent.

Though as you well know, most hires are taken from summer's, so trying to make the shift is a big risk (and I do think the lay of the land is that MBB is more favorable than OW or Kearney). All the same, C-suite odds are slight no matter where you are. Better to follow your own heart if that is what you are going to make happen.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Have a ibd bb ny offer, should I only consider mbb?   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2012, 16:49