Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have a Suggestion? Post It Here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 09:20
Can we have just one thread in Math & Verbal section for answering & solving problems ? We can have one thread for PS, one for DS in respective section & similarly three others for Verbal Section.

After 3-4 months, this will be a repository of questions & answers. People can access this thread to practice.

Every new thread for a problem contains very less value for whole community. Besides, it's not friendly to access a new thread for every new problem, if I am practicing. This will even help in reducing the repetition.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7576 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 10:10
Expert's post
alpeshvc wrote:
Can we have just one thread in Math & Verbal section for answering & solving problems ? We can have one thread for PS, one for DS in respective section & similarly three others for Verbal Section.

After 3-4 months, this will be a repository of questions & answers. People can access this thread to practice.

Every new thread for a problem contains very less value for whole community. Besides, it's not friendly to access a new thread for every new problem, if I am practicing. This will even help in reducing the repetition.

Thank you for the suggestion - this is a very new idea.

Can you please outline what value it will have compared to the current system of one thread per question? I am not sure what would motivate this change.

Also have you seen this done on any other forums/discussion boards (any type, not necessarily GMAT)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 11:51
Expert's post
alpeshvc wrote:
bb wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion - this is a very new idea.

Can you please outline what value it will have compared to the current system of one thread per question? I am not sure what would motivate this change.

Also have you seen this done on any other forums/discussion boards (any type, not necessarily GMAT)

See, currently for every problem user opens a new thread. Just after a day or two, it does not have any value. Though, that problem is solved by 3-4 people, after a day or two that thread becomes pretty old & I doubt if anyone cares to check old threads. Most of the people would be looking on threads of Page-1 only.

Now, making a dedicated thread for, let's say, PS section, I can have all PS problems in one single thread. People who have queries can put their examples there. Also, if there are any good questions that help us understand basic concepts, we can put them there.

The discussion & detailed explanation of problems is something that adds value. It will be about thinking process. I guess a lot people can help from this. :D

Also, it will reduce server space required. :)

Yes, I have seen it on other forums. I will PM you the links. I am active member of that forum too. :P

Thank you again. My kudos are yours.
I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea and see the core value (besides just being another way to organize posts). Thank you for the PM and links. Help me understand if I am not getting something. I can definitely see that approach as a preference but struggling to see the big value - as you know people resist change (myself included) and there needs to be a clear benefit that will justify the inconvenience of re-learning.

In my mind having 1,000 pages in a thread is pretty similar to having 1,000 threads, though with pages it is a bit more difficult since with threads we can bump them up, keep discussions in one place, and not have discussions on 10 questions at the same time. We can also link to them easier and create threads like these: combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html

Please - point me in the right direction if I am missing something.

Slightly off-topic:
There are also a few other elements that work better with Threads rather than posts such as Tags. We have plans to add Tags to the forum and tag individual questions by subject and difficulty, so during posting a user will be required to tag the thread. For example they can tag it as "Statistics" and "Medium Difficulty" then other users can add/edit/remove tags. I am not sure how popular it will be but it will allow to organize and categorize questions.

P.S. We are using about 5% of our storage allocated on the server and the difference between threads and posts is not that much :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 23:40
Expert's post
Thank you again. Sounds like you know GMATClub pretty well with your references to Rhyme and others :)

Let me think about this - this is not an easy decision. I feel that the new tagging system (coming in a month or so) will help significantly with content classification and create the concept of a single thread, except in addition - will create those threads by subject such as "Word Problems" or "Powers" rather than just PS or DS. If that plan fails, then I will definitely be giving this thought a shot. It is hard to change so much in short interval - it is a gradual process - give me time :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 11:20
Expert's post
alpeshvc wrote:
bb wrote:
Thank you again. Sounds like you know GMATClub pretty well with your references to Rhyme and others :)

Let me think about this - this is not an easy decision. I feel that the new tagging system (coming in a month or so) will help significantly with content classification and create the concept of a single thread, except in addition - will create those threads by subject such as "Word Problems" or "Powers" rather than just PS or DS. If that plan fails, then I will definitely be giving this thought a shot. It is hard to change so much in short interval - it is a gradual process - give me time :)

Yeah. Even though I am new, I have gone through a lot of threads of b-schools applications.

I actually forgot to mention about Tag system. Yeah, it does seem a good idea for classification. I am still not able to picture how it will look, but I guess we can wait.
Yeah, I get it. Too many changes in a short interval would be irritating.

Anyway, all the best. :)

Thank you again!
Here is how a Post Tagging system would look (conceptual rendering) - comments welcome.
1. When you click one of the tags - it would give you a listing of all threads with those tags.
2. Every time a new thread is posted, the poster must pick at least one tag for it
3. Others can add tags and possibly remove. Moderators can edit them
3. Admins set tags - they are not free form, so we can't have all variations such combinations, combination, combnnation, just one tag - "Combinations"
5. Also a comprehensive tag search such as "hard" "PS" "Probability"
I think that's it at this point.

Attachments

tags.gif
tags.gif [ 47.45 KiB | Viewed 1685 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 11:09
Expert's post
Thank you for the suggestion Mendelay - that's exactly the idea behind the TAGS (a few posts above), to be able to classify questions and posts accordingly.

My guess is that the new feature will be rolled out on a test basis in a week and fully functional in 2 weeks if no major bugs are found. I definitely look forward to hearing your feedback once the tags are enabled.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 20:57
Expert's post
bhushan252 wrote:
***********************I have 2 suggestions ******************************

Suggestion 1
My suggestion is to assign a Level Of Difficulty (LOD) to each question such as Low, Medium, High and tough. Also if we can club LOD with each category, everyone can actually choose which level to start with. From Low level each one can slowly graduate to next higher levels in each category (Medium, High, Tough). our moderators & founders should assign a LOD to each question and it will get categories it self accordingly on forums' active board under a specific topic. I think clubbing this with your tagging system will work really well.

for example : An intern can chooses to enter Critical Reasoning at any level (LOD) say High for any topic say Bold faced question as per his wish (because we don't know how good he is) and starts answering.

Also kudos should have differntial marking for each level; hence a tough kudos will score say +4 and low kudos will score +1.

Suggestion 2
why can't we have standard font as specified by GMAT for all questions, even blue screen with white background. This will give a real feel that one is solving on GMAT test screen. See this is not a eureka suggestion but it wil just make our experience like one in the real GMAT test screen..that's it

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Very much appreciate the thoughts.

Difficulty levels is a great idea even though it was discussed a few times. Your suggestion is better than usual (just let users assign difficulty level) though it comes at the expense of requiring moderators to go through every question. It is OK for math, but very hard to establish for Verbal. Even moderators and experienced members will have a hard time classifying an RC or SC, for example.

Personally, I use the number of replies (you can arrange the questions by number of replies as an indicator of difficulty of the question). It does not always work, but often you will find a lot of tough/interesting questions this way.

As to #2, that should not be too hard to do. What do you feel is the value of having the questions presented in the GMAT-like colors. They are still not timed and still you are taking only one question at a time. Do you think it will add any points?

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 22:06
Expert's post
mrbgam wrote:
Dear BB,

I would like to suggest here to standardize our forum:

1- A lot of pictures are too large, it need to reduce width and length
2- It's also with long quotes.

These make a lot of spaces in topic and really difficult to read!

Thank you mrbgam! Appreciate the feedback.

1. I think I can think of something. Let me research.
2. Not sure but will look around - definitely gets annoying when someone quotes a very large topic with a 1-line answer

Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 08:00
Expert's post
nitya34 wrote:
I love this "Tag" way of posting
very innovative indeed!

Few tags which are already there in SC are
"Resources, Subject Verb Agreement, Verb Tense, Pronouns, Vague Pronouns, Modifiers, Style and Usage, Parallel Structure, Comparisons, Hard Question, Verb Voice, Nouns, Adjectives and Adverbs, Idioms, Conjunctions, Punctuation, Clauses, Which/That, GMAT Prep, OG, ETS Paper Test, Debatable OA "

I suggest the following(and will add more if i get any in other sections)

Gerund, use of being, Subjunctive, If-Then, Infinitive , Dangling Modifier,Participle Parallelism .

Also if its not done, pls arrange the tags alphabetically

thanks BB

Thank you! Glad the tags work - please don't hesitate to suggest any others you feel are missing. Adding and sorting is easy.

BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 12:25
Expert's post
bigoyal wrote:
I was just wondering if we can have a feature like follower or fan of other members ? Example, if member A is follower or fan of member B, member A should be notified of any new posts / activities submitted by the member B in public forums. It would be really helpful in tracking posts of good contributors.

I like your thinking!!!
Will be in touch via a PM.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 03:36
Hi ,

I recently edited one of my older post regarding numbers. However, the updated thread was not showing in the first list of threads in forum. So i had to post another
message within the same thread in order to make it visible in the first page of the thread list.
My suggesstion is to make the thread visible on the list of actie threads when an original post is edited.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 20:56
Expert's post
urchin wrote:
Hi ,

I recently edited one of my older post regarding numbers. However, the updated thread was not showing in the first list of threads in forum. So i had to post another
message within the same thread in order to make it visible in the first page of the thread list.
My suggesstion is to make the thread visible on the list of actie threads when an original post is edited.

Thanks! We've already looked into this in the past. Unfortunately did not find a solution.
Would suggest you use the good old technique of posting a short post that says "Updated xxxx" and you can link to that post with "permalink" or make the same post or....

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 21:04
Can we add a search capability to search the members from a particular location? eg. I should be able to find the members from Chicago, IL or zip code 60601. So members staying in nearby cities/counties can form local study groups if needed.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2009, 19:15
is sort posts by descending time not working... i see a march 2009 post between a nov 2009 post and a oct 2009 post in this thread... similar problem in other threads

edit: to reproduce the problem, go to pg2 then go to pg1, and the posts will be sorted by username of author
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 04:41
Hi,
I've been passive member of this forum, I'm really not so happy with the search function, I tried so many options but always the message comes up stating the search criteria has too common words. I simply wanted to find e.g. test m03's q01 so I tried a.[m03, q01] b.[m03 is x>3] etc but to no avail

Other thing I've noticed is sometimes this site is terribly slow, not that my net connection is culprit because other sites were working fine at those moments

Your assistance will be great

Thanks
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:08
Expert's post
asimov wrote:
For the member profile, can we add GPA as well? This will help members gauge their chances at certain bschools a bit better. It seems that people are only posting GMAT scores above 700. I'm not sure if members are discouraged to post scores below 700. By having voluntary GPA information, it would provide a more balanced view and hopefully boost the confidence of those who has "low" GMAT score but high GPA.

This is doable and will be implemented on Monday.
Any other fields we should add while we're at it?

The good part is that if a person does not fill them out, they don't show up in the profile

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:14
Expert's post
bb wrote:
This is doable and will be implemented on Monday.
Any other fields we should add while we're at it?

The good part is that if a person does not fill them out, they don't show up in the profile

Do you think having fields like:

WE (Yrs) 1:
Industry 1:
WE (Yrs) 2:
Industry 2:
WE (Yrs) 3:
Industry 3:

are appropriate?

It allows people to get a quick sense of the main things bschools are looking for, instead having to search for the member in the Profiles/Admits/Dings thread.

Diversity

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:32
Expert's post
Thank you.
Frankly - I have no idea if it will be popular or not, BUT! I am willing to try anything (at least once).
Obviously if it takes away value and overcrowds the profile area, it may be a negative, but we'll add it and if it gets in the way, can always take it off.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 17:39
Expert's post
Yeah, that's definitely a valid point. I thought about that as well. We'll see how people utilize it. Should we make a temporary announcement on bschool forum page for PR and to get feedback? Maybe even a small poll?

Diversity

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 17:49
Expert's post
asimov wrote:
Should we make a temporary announcement on bschool forum page for PR and to get feedback? Maybe even a small poll?

Fantastic Idea!
Can you take the lead?

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2010, 17:49