Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have a Suggestion? Post It Here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9411 [1] , given: 3698

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would like to start an official "Suggestions" and "Improvements" thread - ideas welcome :idea:

This site has been built by members like you and many of the features are a direct contribution by many of them. If there is a feature you feel is missing or not fully developed, post it here - we'll be happy to install/develop/research as long as it's feasible.

Suggestions Submitted:

New sub-forum for GMAT-MBA journey posts (terp26)
    Submitted on 3/3/09

Spell check for posts (leonidas)
    Submitted on 2/27/09

Split Verbal Forum into question type categories (nitya34 and technext)
    Submitted on 2/24/09

Split the Math Forum into DS and PS sub-categories

Thread updated on 4/3/09

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 143 [2] , given: 0

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
Guest wrote:
bb wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
If possible, split the verbal section into three parts SC,CR,RC
Ditto for Quants--DS and PS
also make spl section for Gmatprep(s/w) Q
thx

It's definitely going to make navigation easy and will save time too.

Some other ways to achieve the same thing:
1. How about specifying unique colours to subject title for different sections?

OR

2. Specifying rule for posting questions.

For instance, Sentence Correction questions will carry a subject title like this:
SC - Unique_Word_To_Identify_That_Question

for ex., SC - Acid Rain

But the problem here will be to constantly check for violation.

But moderators will face this problem with any method that they finally chose to apply ( if at all it happens :) ). It'll more depend on poster's self-discipline. For new joiners, this general rule can be posted on the joining page.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [2] , given: 40

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
Open Verbal/Maths quiz

Starting an open weekly quiz in Verbal (SC/CR/RC) or Maths (DS/PS) for all GmatClub members.

This is itself a new and uniques step to make such forums more useful for its members. This will give a reason why GC is the best of best.

We can approach this by:
1. Broadcast an intimation mail to all members for registering for the quiz or flashing about this quiz on the top of all web pages of GmatClub.
2. Fix a certain time period during which members can give the quiz, as per their convenience.
3. Don't show the result immediately rather wait till that time period is over. This will add more fun to the quiz. After the time period publish the result. Members can access their performamnce.
4. Don't remove that quiz online. Let other members, who missed the quiz, and new members to take the quiz and check their performance.

Think about this initiative in terms of:
1. New members to GmatClub
2. Traffick generation
3. Competitive advantage
4. Popularity and Uniqueness

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 1

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
My 2 cents, hope this will be very helpful for all.

We need to have buckets in the site. which means that when I am surfing the site and I Like a particular topic I should be able to add it to my bucket (or cart or Favourites).

Since there is so much material out here I tend to get lost, usually I keep picking and posting urls to my email account. But then again, there I need to search them out of several thousand emails.

Whenever I am on the site for more info. I will look for it, find it and if it fits my need and I would want to review it later, it would go into my favs' bucket so that I dont have to search for that thread. I can go there directly in my fav's.

Later we can allow users to create categories for buckets so that they can organize/collect information in the format they would like to keep. This will also solve problem that I have seen people posting like arranging section in order of difficultly or 600-700 range or Verbal or SC, RC, CR categorizations.

GMAT Club can periodically review everyone's bucket or categorization in buckets to automatically organize content as shown on the club from this information.

I would appreciate if initially we can start with buckets/cart/fav's.

By the way thanks for creating a free GMAT retail store for preparation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 10

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
To Whom It May Concern:

Received the email saying I haven't logged in for a while. I do plan to continue to use the site, but I have about a year to take the test and will probably not begin studying hard until I return from Afghanistan.

As it pertains to the site and potential improvements, I found it very frustrating when people did not post the OA and OE for questions. I mostly use the site as a question bank and to have people post questions and then say "Discuss first, then OA" is rather off putting. While it's admirable that people want to have a discussion, it is a fact that some people just want to work problems.

Recommendation: a question can't be posted to the site unless it is accompanied by the OA, the OE, and the source (OG, MGMAT, Peterson's, etc.). This allows people to just answer questions and move on or, alternatively, answer questions and then ask for further OEs in other people words. Everybody wins. Additionally, people can see the quality of the questions they will encounter should they elect to purchase additional study resources. As someone that has previously taken the GMAT, I can say that there's a wide variety of study material out there and stuff like Peterson's is in no way representative of what people will actually encounter on the test. By posting the source of the question people know before they buy what kind of questions they will encounter.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
I have a suggestion regarding "Calling all fall xxxx AAAAAAAA Applicants" threads

Sometimes I wish to visit the prior years threads to get some specific information and I find that there are like a 100 pages and it's a pain to jump just 5 pages at a time! For example, just now, I wanted to know when the interview calls start rolling for Tuck in the Jan round, but I find that there are 107 pages in the fall 2011 applicants thread and I am having to skim through most pages till I reach the date I am interested in.

I was wondering if we could've either of the following -
The 1st thread be edited such that there would be links to the 1st message about an interview invite, ding, admit, financial aid, admit weekend, etc. (Basically the important milestones in an applicants thread)

Or a way to skip the forum to a particular date I am interested in, like 01/05/2011

Cheers!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [2] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Can we change the color of "Admitted from WL" in user profiles/stats in first posts of school threads? Black to me says submitted. I feel like Admit from WL should still be some shade of green :)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 17

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
If possible, split the verbal section into three parts SC,CR,RC
Ditto for Quants--DS and PS
also make spl section for Gmatprep(s/w) Q
thx

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 17

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
wow!!So prompt :)
appreciate it!!
honestly it will be far easy to navigate if we can have separate forums for SC,RC,CR, DS,PS, or even GPREP Qs
wish you and the forum good luck!!

bb wrote:
Nitya34 and Technext, thank you for your suggestions - we are moving forward with them.

Moderators cast their votes and we proceed to user voting. We will start with the verbal forum and give it a try for 30 days. If after that period we do not see complaints or issues with the change, we will start transitioning the math forum to the proposed structure.

Thank you for your suggestions :idea:

Link: http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/p572913-v ... 99#p572913

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 0

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
I think adding a spell check feature is a good addition. I know most of us might not do a sanity check for spelling before posting. A spell check feature will prevent any embarrassment to the careless posters (like me)

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
leonidas wrote:
I think adding a spell check feature is a good addition. I know most of us might not do a sanity check for spelling before posting. A spell check feature will prevent any embarrassment to the careless posters (like me)

It already has spell check feature. The red underline that shows up while posting, that is sign that you spelled something wrong.

And you have to click submit button twice if there is any red underline in the body of the message.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 31

section for gmat-> admit stories? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Folks in this thread suggested having a section for gmat-to-admit stories:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p573940-how-i-got-into-business-school#p573940
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2009, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

My suggestion is to have sub forums such as Data Sufficiency Questions and Regular Math Questions in Math Section. The reason I am suggesting this is because:

(1) Majority of the people studying for GMAT struggle with DS and it will be easier if we had direct access only to DS questions to practice. We will not have to search thru every page to find a DS question.

(2) I think the sub forums idea in Verbal section turned out to be great. It is a hit. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the sub forums in Verbal. We should have something similar in Math section too.

Thanks
sushmash
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 92

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Can we have the "Go to page" at the top right hand, just like its the way down right.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 Next

...just above the "Last Post" heading?

Thanks,
PM
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 92

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
pm4553 wrote:
Can we have the "Go to page" at the top right hand, just like its the way down right.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 Next

...just above the "Last Post" heading?

Thanks,
PM

Sorry for taking a while to get back with you.
Thank you for the suggestion - which page specifically are you talking about?

Forum view - list of discussion topics
Topic view - list of posts in a thread

Sorry, I was travelling so could not reply earlier.

Topic View - would be best, you don't have to scroll down each time you want to move between pages (i.e. active topics).
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 14

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
I proposed the same thing some time ago, but it seems I've done it in the wrong place - in the Off topic forum. Now I'll try my luck here.

I would like to propose that we create separate subforum for TOEFL. At present, international applicants ar forced to use some other forums. While some of the forums are good, they just don't look nice and I'm not used to interface. In addition, I preffer to discuss this topic with "familiar" people, people I'm already speaking with on various subjects regarding MBA applications.

I know there is many "cons" to my propsal and that one of the major would be that this is the forum that has GMAT in the focus. That way, I understand you are trying to stay focused and do one job (GMAT) well instead of trying to perform many tasks but none successfuly.

Well, GMATclub has grown up, it has overgrown GMAT and became a real Business school forum instead of just single exam forum. In that sense, I think it would be wise to have everything one needs to enter b-school in one place, instead to have many members that are forced to look for other forums for some important issues. TOEFL is certainly such an issue for ever growing number of international students.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 21

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion - this is a very new idea.

Can you please outline what value it will have compared to the current system of one thread per question? I am not sure what would motivate this change.

Also have you seen this done on any other forums/discussion boards (any type, not necessarily GMAT)

See, currently for every problem user opens a new thread. Just after a day or two, it does not have any value. Though, that problem is solved by 3-4 people, after a day or two that thread becomes pretty old & I doubt if anyone cares to check old threads. Most of the people would be looking on threads of Page-1 only.

Now, making a dedicated thread for, let's say, PS section, I can have all PS problems in one single thread. People who have queries can put their examples there. Also, if there are any good questions that help us understand basic concepts, we can put them there.

The discussion & detailed explanation of problems is something that adds value. It will be about thinking process. I guess a lot people can help from this. :D

Also, it will reduce server space required. :)

Yes, I have seen it on other forums. I will PM you the links. I am active member of that forum too. :P

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Thank you again. My kudos are yours.
I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea and see the core value (besides just being another way to organize posts). Thank you for the PM and links. Help me understand if I am not getting something. I can definitely see that approach as a preference but struggling to see the big value - as you know people resist change (myself included) and there needs to be a clear benefit that will justify the inconvenience of re-learning.

In my mind having 1,000 pages in a thread is pretty similar to having 1,000 threads, though with pages it is a bit more difficult since with threads we can bump them up, keep discussions in one place, and not have discussions on 10 questions at the same time. We can also link to them easier and create threads like these: combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html

Please - point me in the right direction if I am missing something.

Slightly off-topic:
There are also a few other elements that work better with Threads rather than posts such as Tags. We have plans to add Tags to the forum and tag individual questions by subject and difficulty, so during posting a user will be required to tag the thread. For example they can tag it as "Statistics" and "Medium Difficulty" then other users can add/edit/remove tags. I am not sure how popular it will be but it will allow to organize and categorize questions.

P.S. We are using about 5% of our storage allocated on the server and the difference between threads and posts is not that much :)

I meant, a thread for each new problem (e.g. - community-activist-81304.html) is too specific. It does not holds value for a lot of users. When the thread topic is off 'Page-1', I doubt anyone cares to check it. So practically, those threads are very unnecessary & helps too few people (if it does at all).

Of course, we don't want to have a thread with 1000 pages. And, you are right, solving 10 problems at a time will be too chaos on thread. Some things we can do to organize things -

As I said in my PM, put time limit to questions. Let me elaborate :
a. We will have only 2 problems active at a time (In 24 hours). Do all the discussion necessary for it in 24 hours.
b. After 24 hours, the problems are closed. And, users are allowed to put new problems.

We can close the thread after a particular time. Say, a year or 100 pages. Put the link of this thread in the new thread.

I know it seems a lot of change, but it is done this way on the links I provided you. And, people are big fans of these threads myself included.

About change - if you stop allowing users making new thread, current users will turn to the 'New Thread'. I assume they will start following that thread from first page. So whenever there are new problems on thread they just go to the last page. Plus, it is easier for them to search back for problems they had referred some time back.

New users, who have not followed the thread can start reading the thread from first page, & solve the current questions of last page at the same time.

Now, we can certainly think on this. Take opinion from Gmatclub stalwarts like rhyme, rivverripper etc. I am sure you personally can ask them their opinion on this. :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Thank you again. Sounds like you know GMATClub pretty well with your references to Rhyme and others :)

Let me think about this - this is not an easy decision. I feel that the new tagging system (coming in a month or so) will help significantly with content classification and create the concept of a single thread, except in addition - will create those threads by subject such as "Word Problems" or "Powers" rather than just PS or DS. If that plan fails, then I will definitely be giving this thought a shot. It is hard to change so much in short interval - it is a gradual process - give me time :)

Yeah. Even though I am new, I have gone through a lot of threads of b-schools applications.

I actually forgot to mention about Tag system. Yeah, it does seem a good idea for classification. I am still not able to picture how it will look, but I guess we can wait.
Yeah, I get it. Too many changes in a short interval would be irritating.

Anyway, all the best. :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Wow, amazing idea. If we can implement this one we don't need the one I suggested.

Some comments/ queries -
bb wrote:
1. When you click one of the tags - it would give you a listing of all threads with those tags.

How will the list appear ? Just the list of names of threads or list of 'first posts of each thread'. I think the latter will be better. Just listing tags & thread name will not be helpful, I think.

bb wrote:
2. Every time a new thread is posted, the poster must pick at least one tag for it.
3. Others can add tags and possibly remove. Moderators can edit them
4. Admins set tags - they are not free form, so we can't have all variations such combinations, combination, combnnation, just one tag - "Combinations"
5. Also a comprehensive tag search such as "hard" "PS" "Probability"

Definitely helpful & needed. :D

Will post if I come up with something on this.

Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2009, 03:34