Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have I changed jobs too much?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Have I changed jobs too much? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 14:28
Just have a quick question about changing jobs. I have a few different types of work experience. Is it bad to change jobs too often?

For example my experience is:

First job I quit (was there 3 months)
Second job I was laid off from (was there 8 months)
3rd job I have great recs from ( was there 1.5 years)
4th job also have great recs from ( will be there 2 years by the time I start MBA program)

The last two positions are both in the real estate industry as well. Will this be troubling to the admissions committee?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Have I changed jobs too much? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 23:13
Expert's post
jaw5xs wrote:
Just have a quick question about changing jobs. I have a few different types of work experience. Is it bad to change jobs too often?

For example my experience is:

First job I quit (was there 3 months)
Second job I was laid off from (was there 8 months)
3rd job I have great recs from ( was there 1.5 years)
4th job also have great recs from ( will be there 2 years by the time I start MBA program)

The last two positions are both in the real estate industry as well. Will this be troubling to the admissions committee?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device Image

Obviously it would be better if you hadn't had two jobs in one year. However, the reality is that you were at your last two jobs for 1.5 years and then two years. The 3-month stint was right after college; you were young and maybe it was just a bad fit. And layoffs were common several years ago. So no one is going to make a big deal of it. What's more important in that you can show career progression and increases in responsibility, especially on the last two jobs.

But don't change jobs again until you get accepted! :-)

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Have I changed jobs too much? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 02:52
Hi,
My profile goes like this-
age -25yrs
Indian, female.

std 10- 82%
12th- 76%
Graduation- B.com(accounting and finance)- 83%

work exp-
aug 2009- july 2010- worked at a retail store- managerial position- great responsibilities and more of a business set up .. (due to economic slowdown)
Aug 2010- aug 2012- KPMG- Audit- analyst - promotion in terms of responsibilities and team leading exp- but no promotions on paper.
Currently - since 3 - 4 months working in a small consultancy on assignment basis- full time

Career goal- switch to marketing/ luxury brands or consulting- not management consulting
Gmat- aiming for 600 range.

Work wise is my profile ok? Will the retail and consulting exp be considered well by the schools?
And ideally can I mention I want to switch to marketing now so I want an MBA- does this clash against my first year of direct sales and then audit exp?

Pls help, Im in a big dillema as I am applying to a school where they need me to chose my specialization before the start of the prog.

Thank you
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Have I changed jobs too much? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 23:24
Expert's post
harsha88 wrote:
Hi,
My profile goes like this-
age -25yrs
Indian, female.

std 10- 82%
12th- 76%
Graduation- B.com(accounting and finance)- 83%

work exp-
aug 2009- july 2010- worked at a retail store- managerial position- great responsibilities and more of a business set up .. (due to economic slowdown)
Aug 2010- aug 2012- KPMG- Audit- analyst - promotion in terms of responsibilities and team leading exp- but no promotions on paper.
Currently - since 3 - 4 months working in a small consultancy on assignment basis- full time

Career goal- switch to marketing/ luxury brands or consulting- not management consulting
Gmat- aiming for 600 range.

Work wise is my profile ok? Will the retail and consulting exp be considered well by the schools?
And ideally can I mention I want to switch to marketing now so I want an MBA- does this clash against my first year of direct sales and then audit exp?

Pls help, Im in a big dillema as I am applying to a school where they need me to chose my specialization before the start of the prog.

Thank you

If you can make a case as to how your retail experience and your accounting experience will help you in retail marketing once you earn an MBA in the field, then you should be fine. And I don't think this case is tough to make at all.
I don't see any clash at all. You worked in retail. Tried accounting, and decided you are more interested in retail. However, you accounting experience will give you an analytical edge and understanding of the financial foundation of a business. You also recognize that you need formal training in luxury good marketing. Your retail experience was valuable, but is not enough upon which to build your career.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog