Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 09:28
Hey guys ,
I'm new to this forum .

I plan on taking the GMAT in March 2012 , so that roughly gives me about 6 months to prepare .

I just finished doing the Princeton Review 2012 GMAT book followed by "Kaplan - Strategies , Practice and Review 2012" . In addition to this I did the Kaplan 800 book and the Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible . I took the Princeton Review CAT and I scored a 630 ( Q 48,V29) . I'm at the extremes as far as math and verbal are concerned . What book should I go for next ?

This is my plan :
1.Redo Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible + Kaplan 800 (Critical reasoning section)
Do Veritas Prep GMAT Sentence Correction + Kaplan 800 (Sentence Correction section)
Do Veritas Prep GMAT Reading Comprehension + kaplan 800 ( RC Section)

2.Do all 8 Manhattan GMAT guides .

3.Finally , do the Official Guide for Verbal and the Official Guide for Quant

Does this plan sound good ? I have about six months and I can do about 2 hours/day ( weekdays) followed by about 8 hours/day (weekends ) , which should give me about 25-26 hours a week .

Any suggestions would be helpful ! Thanks guys !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 15:38
Hello and welcome to the forum! My suggestion to you would be to continue to work on your math via practice problems and addressing areas of weakness. Your score is sound right now and with some minor improvement will probably remain in the 48-50 range (perfect). Now onto verbal. What are you struggling with? If it's sentence correction... get out manhattan SC guide and go through it ... twice. Reading comp... to each their own.. manhattan strategy makes sense. Critical reasoning... I would read the manhattan guide but then tailor it to yourself. The way I did CR was using a X + Y = Z approach. X = fact Y = assumption Z = conclusion. By documenting this off the bat and understanding what the question was asking me to find I did fairly well on CR (Had a 95% hit rate). Give that a whirl and let the good fortune come your way!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 10:16
Have you tried MGMAT or other practice tests?
Do you use timer and error log?
Do you analyze thoroughly your errors?
What are your weaknesses and strengths regarding the test?
Do you work on your attitude, focus and stress management?
Do you work on proper timing? :arrow: timing is critical
Are you prepared to face failures and turn them to your advantage?
Do you have plan B?

All the best,
Maciej
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [1] , given: 62

Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 02:20
@losttraveler

Quant - Yeah man my math score is 48 , but again that is in the Princeton CAT , not sure if that's a good indicator or not . In reality , my quant might me much lower than that and maybe I scored that high because it was the Princeton CAT ? What do you think ? Which are the best books for Math ? I'm fairly good at math , so I would like an advanced book , which one should I go for ?

Verbal - From the Princeton CAT analysis , it seems like I'm equal in all the 3 areas . I decided to go to the Powerscore CR bible for CR , Manhattan Sentence Correction for SC , Veritas Prep For RC . Is this a good idea ? Ofcourse I'll follow all this up with the OG .

@maciej - You asked me too many questions !!LOL....I haven't tried another other practice test yet . What do you think of the plan that I posted earlier ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Desautels '15

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 03:24
stuck in 400s... have a mountain to climb !

> 700 or bust <

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+ [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 05:29
I did not use all of the resources you have mentioned. Last year I used only online resources, such as Gmat Club or Beat the Gmat. It enabled me to achieve 700 score. Recently I have bought Official GMAT Verbal Review and Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook. I believe that the learning process is critical. You probably have set your score goals. You have a sound plan. Learn as much as possible from your resources - use timer always and keep an error log. When you approach practice test, liken the conditions of your environment (breaks, room, etc.) to that during GMAT exam.
Re: Have six months to prepare , need a score of 700+   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2011, 05:29