Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 09:47
Why do B-school ask this question:

Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other graduate programs? If so, please name them

What is considered a good response.

thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 01:59
Disclaimer: I'm an applicant to several top-10 schools in R1, not an expert on the topic.

If posed this question in an application, I'd simply list them. State the facts and move on. Only one of my apps asked that question, and it was noted that it would not be used as part of the application process.

If posed this question in an interview, I'd be up front. Simply put, while I feel very competitive there is an abundance of qualified candidates for any business school enrollment slot. I've selected several schools that can best help me reach my goals based on their programs and professors, and I will put my best face forward to each school. If I'm lucky enough to be able to choose between programs in 2010, my decision will be based on a number of factors - financial aid, professors in my field of expertise, etc.

There's no shame in applying to several schools - as the story goes, Harvard could fill their entire undergraduate class with valedictorians, but being a valedictorian at your high school is demonstrably not a ticket to Harvard. MBA programs are even more competitive, and I would presume that the MBA admissions committees understand the dilemma facing applicants.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 16:30
i'm also an applicant right now, so don't take my word as law, but IMO, it depends on the school's relative ranking. for example, if you're applying to a school ranked outside the top 20, don't tell them that you're also applying to kellogg, booth, ross, etc, as that will show them that you consider them a 'safety' school and it might come back to haunt you later. instead, dodge it as best you can and offer other similarly ranked schools (if applicable). basically don't show all your cards up front

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 20:03
Thanks Guys!!!

I get the point. I am applying to Tepper... I will probably put Sloan as one...
Re: Have you applied to, or do you plan to apply to other School   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2009, 20:03