Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 01:53
Let me start off by saying I've a decent GMAT (730) and "ok" GPA (ug = 3.4, g = 3.6).

I've applied to a few programs in R1 already, but I've not heard back from Yale or Darden yet, which has left me pretty disappointed (though I know there is still a couple of weeks).

I'm trying to analyze where my weak points are. I've strong recs and great ECs. I can't change my GPA, and the only variable I can control is my GMAT score.

Should I just retake it to try to get an extra, say, 20 points?

I hope this thread doesn't rub folks off the wrong way!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 02:08
First, it isn't over till it's over - wait for another couple of weeks. You may simply be one of those who get a late call.

Second, whatever the issue in the application is, it is certainly not the GMAT score. With what I can see, I think it is probably the fact that your application was weak in its presentation/story/had too many inconsistencies. I may be wrong though - just postulating based on what I have seen other candidates go through.

Some other possible issues in your profile could be the quantum/quality of your work experience/overall diversity/weak recos.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 05:47
I have to concur with GyanOne. I would not think its the GMAT that impacts you at all. Its either your essays are clear and fail to provide a clear story or your work experience is not where they would want it. If you are concerned I would get someone to provide you feedback on your stats and your essays and see what they recommend.

One more thing, from my research both Yale and Darden are heavy fit schools, you not getting interviews (even though there is still time left) may not be evidence of a weak application but just the schools inability to see you fit in well there.

Hope this helps and good luck with applications!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:38
730 GMAT? That's not holding you back :P Either you have poorly defined career objectives or you're not demonstrating what the school is looking for.. GPA seems to be fine also.. I think it's your story / goals.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:55
Dude,

You need to seriously stop obsessing over your credentials... Darden has started issuing invites for not more than 10 days and you're already doing a ding analysis??? :x

Take a break my friend..Darden very clearly states that interview invites can extend well up to the decision deadline...The process has just started and is nowhere close to completion...

Hypothetically considering that you are indeed dinged by your target schools (which I really hope is not the case), you're too much in the thick of your application process right now anyway to objectively assess what went wrong. You really need to give yourself some time to detach yourself and think about what went wrong. And this is not just BS, I'm talking from my personal experience..

Seriously, take a chill pill, have a few beers, wait for your results and pray for the best! I hope you get through your dream school!! Good luck!! :)

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.27
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 07:54
If a school is going to ding you with a 730, I highly doubt that they'd accept you with a better score. Once you get up that far in the 700's, I don't think a marginally higher score increases your chances in any material way. The time and money you'd spend trying to achieve a better score would be better spent on just about any other part of your application. You could expand an EC, start an additional EC, spend that time crafting better essays, hire an admissions consultant, take on an extra role/project at work, interview practice. Just about anything, really.

Don't sweat it, I think you've got a solid profile based on what you've shared for Darden. If you get dinged, I would be surprised if it were due to your GMAT or GPA.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 08:05
If something is holding you back, it's not your GPA or GMAT score.

One, it's still early in the game.

Two, if you don't hear back for interviews in R1, I would seriously look at other aspects of your application (not GPA or GMAT)

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 08:09
do not retake
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78570

CAT Tests
Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 09:22
Instead of trying to find any weak points, which definitely are NOT your gpa and GMAT score. You need to try to objectively wonder "how strong are my strong points?" Would you be impressed with your profile and story if you were an adcom at those schools? MOST applicants have "Strong Recs and great ECs" but it's all a biased point of view. In addition, different schools look for different things in applicants. Even if you retook the gmat and got a 790 it would not help you at top schools because your score is already above the schools' averages...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 09:08
I have also not heard back and I applied to a gang of schools. There really is a lot of time left I dont think you should be too worried at this point.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 11:09
Dude, chill - there are a few more weeks before you should consider the steps you're contemplating.

I will tell you this, the GMAT or GPA figures will NOT keep you out of ANY of these programs.

Just chillax, grab a beer and watch that inbox. 8-)
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 18:21
SOMguy wrote:
Let me start off by saying I've a decent GMAT (730) and "ok" GPA (ug = 3.4, g = 3.6).

I've applied to a few programs in R1 already, but I've not heard back from Yale or Darden yet, which has left me pretty disappointed (though I know there is still a couple of weeks).

I'm trying to analyze where my weak points are. I've strong recs and great ECs. I can't change my GPA, and the only variable I can control is my GMAT score.

Should I just retake it to try to get an extra, say, 20 points?

I hope this thread doesn't rub folks off the wrong way!

It ain't the GPA. Maybe the fact that you have a graduate degree already and couldn't elaborate well on why you need an MBA? Not saying it's that, but may be something to look into....

Like the response? Kudos it!

Re: Haven't heard back for interviews...must I retake the GMAT?   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2011, 18:21