Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [6] , given: 30

Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 01:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:34) correct 76% (01:38) wrong based on 1250 sessions
Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound, but petitioners in a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.

A. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

C. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

D. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds

E. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents on the new DNA compound
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In the OA, how to reconcile to -isolate them- a plural with -a research subject- a singular? Will it be acceptable to GMAT?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:36
well..i would like to go with D..

OA is A BUT i think it is incorrect...a research subject is singular..

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 59

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:40
Close call between A and B. I lost it with B.

Daagh, is "them" not referring to "X and B" and not "a research study"
In choice B - how is the use of "now" affecting the sentence. I deliberately chose it, to give the sentence some time frame to contrast with "are" in the following clause....where did I go wrong?

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 30

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 06:07
anish123ster wrote:
well..i would like to go with D..

OA is A BUT i think it is incorrect...a research subject is singular..

D is incorrect because the 'it' after the underline is singular and referring to plural 'patents' in the underline.

OA is still the strongest choice.

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 09:28
Expert's post
IMO, in choice D, the ‘it’ in the non-underline refers to the company or may be even to the company’s feeling (meaning claim) that it is entitled for patents. But it does not matter to us because it is in non-underline and doesn’t materially affect the example. But the ‘it’ in the underline cannot refer to anything other than company; If we were to take the ‘it’ to refer to patents, the meaning is going to be weird. Let’s see how. We shall now replace the ‘it’ with patents and see how good it is.

D.( the re-phrased version) Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels patents is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds, but petitioners in a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.
We can see how the reference of the ‘it’ to patents is bizarre.
So I feel there is no reference problem of the pronouns in D; I would take it as passable logically.

Sdas, I am not clear what you say about the referent of ‘them. As far as the placement of ‘now’ is concerned, it isn’t so critical IMO, whether it feels or it now feels. In a way, the present tense verb ‘feels’ itself may imply' now', a present status.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 04:13
We do have Veritas representatives here, could you please confirm if the OA is correct?

thelosthippie wrote:
Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound, but petitioners in a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.

A. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

"BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes" = plural.
"to isolate them as a research subject" = may go, but sounds suspicious to me. Two things can be treated as one subject, but the author previously used "genes" and "them" so we have a little inconsistency here, as "research" stays singular anyway.
"MG feels it is entitled" = "it" is unnecesary. GMAT: verb form > adjective form > noun form. "MG feels entitled" is better.

Quote:
C. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

They have extracted the genes form DNA to isolate the DNA?

Quote:
D. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds

"genes" agree with "them" with "subjects". "Research" stays singular, what is congruent with the original meaning: there would be one research on both genes.

Quote:
E. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents on the new DNA compound

Just as good as D, but here adjective form is used in place of noun form: "MG feels entitled" > "MG feels it is entitled". This is my choice. Please enlighten me if I am wrong!

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound , but petitioners in a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.

A. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound ---"subject" which is singular modifying "them" or "genes" which is plural and "compound" which is singular modifying "genes" which is plural.So oincorrect

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound -- usage of past perfect tense is wrong.So Incorrect

C. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound --- "subject" actually should refer back to genes but here it is referring to "DNA" Incorrect

D. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds--- "subjects" -plural referring back to genes" and "compounds" --plural referring "genes" --plural correctly

E. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents on the new DNA compound -- "compound" singular referring to "genes" --plural .Incorrect

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 18:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Since the non-underline part uses "it", I strongly believe that the answer should be A/B/C.

B is a good choice. But use of perfect past is questionable. I think that changes the meaning to something like the extraction and the isolation happened one after the other.

A is also good but I am not sure if research subject as a singular can be attached to both the genes together.

I would go for C because -

Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

The "isolate it as a .." it refers to DNA.
In the next part, it refers to Myriad Genetics. The new DNA compound is some concoction these folks made up and claimed a patent.
In the non-underline part - but petitioners in a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.

Please point out flaws in my reasoning .... :|
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1701 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
One requires a working knowledge of molecular biology to understand the full implication of this example

Science has discovered two genes in Human DNA that can potentially cause breast cancer (BRCA stands for Breast Cancer) BRCA1and BRCA2. When these genes are extracted out of the DNA, the DNA becomes BRCA-free. This is what the company claims as the new DNA compound. But so much research is abounding in molecular biology that the BRCAs themselves are intense research subjects while the new BRCA - free DNA is also the subject of immense research.
In the light of the above, to isolate ‘them’ may mean isolating the two types of genes (plural); to isolate ‘it’ may mean to isolate the BRCA - free DNA, the new compound (singular)

Now let’s try to tenderize the various permutations and combinations.

A. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound --- to isolate them (both genes) can go with only the plural research subjects – Therefore, wrong

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound –---having had extracted is awful.

C. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound – ----isolate it and a research subject go in tandem. It refers to the new BRCA-free DNA compound; may be the best choice IMO

D. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds – The main clause is a problem, there is only one new DNA compound, not compounds as has been made out in the choice

E. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents on the new DNA compound ---- One can have only one patent for one research subject i.e. the new DNA compound. The plural ‘its patents’ is wrong.

In any case, the OA doesn’t hold water. And to take into account of so many things in the exam hall is unthinkable. Can it truly be a GMAT problem, considering so much technical things are involved? GOK

@HumptyDumpty: You said that we do have a VERITA’S Rep here. Can you kindly get hold of him to seek the OE?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 05:48

A)Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as a research subject, Myriad Genetics feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound
B)Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound
C)Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate it as a research subject, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound
D)Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds
E)Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents on the new DNA compound

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Jun 2013, 05:56, edited 3 times in total.
Merging similar topics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:10
So where did you find this question? Was it from the Official Guide?

petrifiedbutstanding

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 14:22
For me its A for the following reasons:

B: ..as research subjects.. (Plural), WRONG, later in non-underline part of the sentence, supreme court are contesting it (singular) clearly refers to the reasearch.
C: .. to isolate it.. (singluar), WRONG, Myriad Genetics isolate BRCA1 and BRCA2 (plural).
D: same problem as B
E: same problem as B

Hope it helps!

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 22:41
marcovg4 wrote:
For me its A for the following reasons:

B: ..as research subjects.. (Plural), WRONG, later in non-underline part of the sentence, supreme court are contesting it (singular) clearly refers to the reasearch.
C: .. to isolate it.. (singluar), WRONG, Myriad Genetics isolate BRCA1 and BRCA2 (plural).
D: same problem as B
E: same problem as B

Hope it helps!

I think it refers to the phenimenon of patenting nature, not the subjetcs.
Can somebody help with what is wrong with D?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 05 Jun 2013, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '16
GPA: 3.64

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 23:06

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound.

IMO A. The marked portions are the incorrect parts of the sentence.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 23:20
mehedihasanewu wrote:

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound.

Why is its patents wrong in the option D?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '16
GPA: 3.64

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 08:14
ankurgupta03 wrote:
mehedihasanewu wrote:

Why is its patents wrong in the option D?

a Supreme Court case are contesting it on the grounds that a company cannot copyright nature.
Here 'it' refers to the patent. For this reason, D is wrong..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 12:50
daagh wrote:
In the OA, how to reconcile to -isolate them- a plural with -a research subject- a singular? Will it be acceptable to GMAT?

The subject here is Myriad Genetics. It has long opening modifier or warm up.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 22:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 501

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 01:24
thelosthippie wrote:

B. Having had extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patent on the new DNA compound

D. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels it is entitled to its patents on the new DNA compounds<-- sentence refers to this as singular (....Supreme Court case are contesting IT....)

E. Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to isolate them as research subjects, Myriad Genetics now feels entitled to its patents <-- sentence refers to this as singular (....Supreme Court case are contesting IT....) on the new DNA compound

All those that are highlighted in red above are the POEs that helped me reach the decision.

Answer is A but I initially assumed E.
Re: Having extracted the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes from human DNA to   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2014, 01:24