Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 20:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

94% (01:41) correct 6% (00:53) wrong based on 64 sessions
Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the hands or feet is termed polydactyly.

a) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes
b) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes
c) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes
d) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes
e) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes

I assume it's between c) and d). Please explain the answer and the rationale.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 36

Re: polydactyly [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 20:58
There are typos in the SC. The answer will start with infinitive "to". D or E

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 26

Re: polydactyly [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the hands or feet is termed polydactyly.

a) Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes --> you would never use "the numbers of..."
b) Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes
c) Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes --> my pick
d) To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes --> awkward to start with an infinitive. you should always postpone infinivites and use the "placeholder it" such that the sentence reads: "It is termed polydactyly to have more than the usual number of fingers..."
e) To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 112

Re: polydactyly [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 01:07
nusmavrik wrote:
There are typos in the SC. The answer will start with infinitive "to". D or E

correct ...it has to ither D or E as it starts with D . E is ruled out because of "numbers of " .
MGMAT SC rule clearly says that "numbers of " is always incorrect.
hence I go with D

regards
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: polydactyly [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 05:33
Am not sure we can rule A out. Numbers of "toes" and "fingers" refers to the two different kinds of appendages.
So confused between A and D.

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 26

Re: polydactyly [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 09:58
janani wrote:
Am not sure we can rule A out. Numbers of "toes" and "fingers" refers to the two different kinds of appendages.
So confused between A and D.

you're using an article the here. so the expression the [usual] numbers of.. is almost always incorrect. instead, when you see numbers, it should only be used like the following (taken from MGMAT SC):

The rare Montauk beaked griffin is not extinct; its numbers are now suspected to be much greater than before.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:44
Answer C.
Starting a sentence with a gerund is preferred, also the use of the word number is correctly used in c. Numbers is only used when referring to actual numbers.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 23:28
Guys whats the OA

IMO C

Infinitive(To have) means intention but logically we know we cannot have more fingers according to our own wish or you can say intentionally.
so having is correct here

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 18:18
Great question. I ran a google search and came up with a 50/50 split between C and D.

Personally, I thought it was D. I found this explanation from someone else:

Sentence has “Numbers of “and Participle vs. Infinitive issue

To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes on the hands or feet is termed polydactyly.

A. Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes [Numbers of – incorrect usage – eliminate]

B. Having had more than the usual number of fingers or toes [ Incorrect use of “Had” – eliminate it]

C. Having more than the usual number of fingers or toes [ Hold it]

D. To have more than the usual number of fingers or toes [Hold it]

E. To have more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes [Numbers of – incorrect usage – eliminate]

Between C and D:
I am guessing X more than Y [ where X and Y needs to be parallel – in this case noun parallel]

C: Having – participle form functions as adjective – eliminate it

D – Hold it

Answer: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 31

Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 03:13
I will go with C but feel this question is controversial. Better move on

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 23:51
I will go with C

Reason: Gerunds rather than infinitives are preferred as subjects when the main clause denotes something that actually exists/occurs, and infinitives where something unreal or hypothetical is discussed. Since this medical conditonal actually occurs, the gerund is preferable here.

Experts please confirm.

Kudos always encourages me

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 652 [3] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
swati007 wrote:
I will go with C

Reason: Gerunds rather than infinitives are preferred as subjects when the main clause denotes something that actually exists/occurs, and infinitives where something unreal or hypothetical is discussed. Since this medical conditonal actually occurs, the gerund is preferable here.

Experts please confirm.

hi,
here is the OE

The original sentence incorrectly uses the phrase "numbers of" instead of the correct expression "number of."

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice correctly replaces "numbers of" with "number of." However, the present perfect tense verb "having had" is incorrectly used. The present perfect tense is used to indicate an event that started in the past and remains true in the present. Since this sentence simply defines the term "polydactyly," the present perfect tense is inappropriate. Instead, in order to maintain parallel structure, the phrase "is termed polydactyly" must be preceded by a normal gerund, a verb that acts as a noun, such as "having."

(C) CORRECT. This choice correctly replaces "numbers of" with "number of."

(D) This choice correctly replaces "numbers of" with "number of." Moreover, in theory, an infinitive (such as "To have") CAN be used as a noun, even as a subject. For instance, you can properly say "To err is human." However, a long infinitive phrase (such as "To have more than the usual number of fingers and toes") is considered stylistically awkward as a subject at the beginning of a sentence. For one thing, we often start sentences with infinitives to indicate purpose: "To make money, I worked extra hours." In keeping with good prose style, the GMAT strongly prefers that you move such an infinitive subject to the end of the sentence and put a "Placeholder IT" at the beginning of the sentence: "It is human to err." Furthermore, even a postponed infinitive subject may be considered awkward in comparison to a gerund subject (such as "having"). Note that a gerund subject does not require you to specify who is performing the action in question: "Running is fun" is a perfectly acceptable sentence.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the phrase "numbers of" instead of the correct expression "number of." Moreover, in theory, an infinitive (such as "To have") CAN be used as a noun, even as a subject. For instance, you can properly say "To err is human." However, a long infinitive phrase (such as "To have more than the usual number of fingers and toes") is considered stylistically awkward as a subject at the beginning of a sentence. For one thing, we often start sentences with infinitives to indicate purpose: "To make money, I worked extra hours." In keeping with good prose style, the GMAT strongly prefers that you move such an infinitive subject to the end of the sentence and put a "Placeholder IT" at the beginning of the sentence: "It is human to err." Furthermore, even a postponed infinitive subject may be considered awkward in comparison to a gerund subject (such as "having"). Note that a gerund subject does not require you to specify who is performing the action in question: "Running is fun" is a perfectly acceptable sentence.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: Having more than the usual numbers of fingers or toes on the   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 12:33