Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having often been thought of as still a city of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Having often been thought of as still a city of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 22:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:42) correct 25% (00:42) wrong based on 183 sessions
Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

A) Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

B) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, and Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

C) In spite of still often being thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.

D) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, but the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.

E) Although still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 75

Re: Having often been [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
Many working class people live in Chicago but a lot of poor people live there.

A contrast is needed to balance both parts of the sentence.
"Although" fits suitably.

E) Although still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(E) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: Having often been [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 22:28
farukqmul wrote:
thevenus wrote:

(E) wins

Can you explain why D is wrong ?

(C) is non-idiomatic
Correct usage for in spite of is :-
in spite of x, y

D) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, but the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.

still often has the different meaning than intended by the author,which actually makes the sentence unfit in meaning and logic because it goes into the past tense.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Last edited by thevenus on 12 Jul 2012, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 38

Re: Having often been [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
E is the only one that makes sense and isn't awkward here.

For D-

There are two different clauses connected by "But".
1. "It" in the first statement doesnt have an antecedent it can refer to in the first statement. You can replace "It" with just anything.
2. Ideally the first sentence plays the role of a modifier and should modify Chicago. If you ask yourself- What is thought as the city of working class -the answer would be chicago. hence this modifier should be placed next to Chicago - Like E does.

Hope this helps!

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 10

Re: Having often been [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
farukqmul wrote:
thevenus wrote:

(E) wins

Can you explain why D is wrong ?

"farukqmul"
you need to know the rules regarding modifier, clause indicators, and concise version writing style. readin a volume of materials do not bring or will certain your expected score. so i am suggesting you to read every explanation of each sentence for og 13th or verbal test paper over online or by forming a group or panel.
i think it will help you much.

you may purchase a book on sc named mgmat sc from nilkhet or send me your email to get that softcopy.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 36

Re: Having often been [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 12:17
I POE till A and E , and in the end I chose A instead of E without reading the answer options carefully.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 355 [1] , given: 241

Re: Having often been thought of as still a city of [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
farukqmul wrote:
Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.
A) Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people. -> Use of Perfect participle "Having been thought" along with "Still" is incorrect.
B) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, and Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people. --> This construction altogether avoids the Contrast, which is essential to the meaning.
C) In spite of still often being thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor. -->Changes the original meaning of the sentence by stating that people are getting more poor
D) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, but the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor. -->Changes the original meaning of the sentence by stating that people are getting more poor
- Correct.

I think most of us approach SC questions in a mechanical way & such approach should be avoided.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern
Schools: Thunderbird '15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Having often been thought of as still a city of working [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:36

(A) Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.
(B) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, and Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.
(C) In sprite of still often being though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.
(D) It is still often though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, but the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.
(E) Although still often though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The correct answer is E. What is wrong with A? I thought E was wrong because Although needs to go with a clause (not a phrase)

Thanks

Last edited by Zarrolou on 26 Jun 2013, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE: Military Officer (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

sentence correction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 20:05
Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neightborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(A) Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neightborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(B) It is still often thought of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, and Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(C) In sprite of still often being though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, the people who polulate Chicago are increasingly poor.

(D) It is still often though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, but the people who populate Chicago are increasingly poor.

(E) Although still often though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

Plz explain and i m confused in this.
Source-Kaplan
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 17

Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Navy,

The crux(meaning) of the sentence is that it introduces a contrast.

Only options C, D & E present contradictions.

In option C, the first part of the sentence talks of the city of Chicago(..thought of as a city...) whereas the second part after the comma talks of the people who populate-hence it is wrong because we are erroneously comparing city to the population.

In option D, the same error as above is repeated-wrong comparison between city and population.

Hence, we are left with only E as the correct answer.

Regards

Argha

Last edited by argha on 13 Aug 2013, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 543 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: sentence correction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Navy wrote:
Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neightborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(A) Having often been thought of as still a city of working-class neightborhoods, Chicago is increasingly populated by poor people.

(C) In sprite of still often being though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods, the people who polulate Chicago are increasingly poor.

Plz explain and i m confused in this.
Source-Kaplan

IF you read the sentence you will see that sentence intends to show CONTRAST that THOUGHT OF AS OCCUPIED BY WORKING CLASS....CHICAGO IS OCCUPIED BY POOR PEOPLE.
SO to show the contrast we need contrasting words such as: ALTHOUGH/EVEN THOUGH/BUT ..etc

WRONG.
-no contrasting word present.
-incorrect placement of STILL

WRONG.
-NO CONTRASTING WORD
-USE OF AND..makes it two IC hence the intended meaning is lost.

WRONG.
-BEING makes it unnecessary wordy.
-In sprite of still often being though of as a city of working-class neighborhoods==>this whole thing is modifying THE PEOPLE ..which is wrong it should modify CHICAGO.

WRONG.
-NON PARALLEL STRUCTURE ...First clause subject : IT(CHICAGO)....Second clause subject: the people....seems we are comparing CHICAGO with PEOPLE.
HENCE intended meaning is not very clear.

CORRECT.

HOPE IT HELPS

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 10

Re: Having often been thought of as still a city of [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
blueseas thanks for reply
one more thing i read it somewhere ,"Although" require a subject in its clause.otherwise its use is wrong?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 543 [2] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Having often been thought of as still a city of [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
Navy wrote:
blueseas thanks for reply
one more thing i read it somewhere ,"Although" require a subject in its clause.otherwise its use is wrong?

Hi,

thats a good point to notice.

i agree with you...

there are some particular usage of ALTHOUGH which i have encountered.

-ALTHOUGH is a subordinate conjunction and is always followed by a clause.(as per OG)==>ALTHOUGH X,Y(HERE X and Y ARE CLAUSES)

-ALTHOUGH always connects two clauses with a comma.(as per RON)

-never use a conjunction and ALTHOUGH together to connect two clauses
ex: ALTHOUGH X,and Y ==>THIS IS WRONG.((HERE X and Y ARE CLAUSES)

- ALTHOUGH is generally followed by definite thing.....so probability words such as MAY BE,COULD BE,POSSIBLY...all these are wrong IN ALTHOUGH CLAUSE(means clause X)(as per RON)

NOW in this question OPTION E is the best choice because all other options have other major errors...
good thing is that this is not an official question and hope not to see such question in GMAT. :)

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Having often been thought of as still a city of [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 05:35
thanks!

+1
You post on Although helped me.
Re: Having often been thought of as still a city of   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2013, 05:35