Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 21:18
Expert's post
Hey all,

Thought we'd mix it up and spark some debate by throwing together a quick list of OUR top U.S. b-schools. It's nothing more than putting a finger to the wind, but we do spend 70-80 hours a week in this world and our clients seem to always want our opinion on the matter, so we figured we'd throw it out there. It's all opinion anyway, right?

Here's the link: http://educatedoutcomes.wordpress.com/2 ... b-schools/

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 23:26
:-D

I thought it will be a joke.

I agree with the top5 :!:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 03:10
My personal problem with ratings - they assume an equally spaced linear scale, such as 1km... 2km... so Harvard would be supposedly 16 times better than Darden. That is misleading and creates extra hype around 1-2-3 names.
Instead I prefer GMATclub's approach to cluster segmentation:
super elite
ultra elite
near elite
almost elite
not elite
once in a blue moon elite
not in this life elite
never ever elite
etc (you've got the idea:) )
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 06:00
Vorskl wrote:
My personal problem with ratings - they assume an equally spaced linear scale, such as 1km... 2km... so Harvard would be supposedly 16 times better than Darden.

I don't think rankings rarely ever convey ordering by cardinal means. More often than not, the rankings are ordinal, thus is hard to quantify exactly how much "better."

But I do agree that rankings tend to draw too much attention to minuscule differences between two schools that are roughly similar in quality.

That being said, the list looks reasonable. Although schools 11 through 16 seem more or less interchangeable and the ranking will be just as reasonable. :)

GMAT Debrief

Expert Post

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 09:31
Expert's post
Your points are good ones. And, in fact, while we will always respond to a request for our opinion (clearly!) and give an "at gunpoint" list, it is true that using tiers is a better approach. We use tiers for quality, selectivity, reputation, etc. It is a more nuanced way to do it.

But we can all agree that when you slap together a list with no qualifying factors, nuance probably wasn't the goal.

This is just our version of "in a vacuum, if we were living life over again, and every school accepted us to attend, what would the order be in which we said yes."

Anyway, thanks for discussing and for reading. It's fun for us to talk about some broader things and not purely essay strategy all day, every day.

Cheers,
-PL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 09:38
Paul, may I suggest another fun exercise? You can actually take schools clients submit as their dream or stretch ones and build the TIER list of those. It'll be interesting to see which schools are the most requested ( I believe you have wide enought customer base so it won't be sole HBS : )
Expert Post

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 09:44
Expert's post
We are actually working on that. We are taking inventory from all inquiries, initial consultations, and clients to see what schools are most "popular." There might be a little "noise" in the results because we are boutique and have a few items that have emerged as calling cards (our Columbia guide tends to draw more CBS applicants than some other schools, for instance). That said, the results should be interesting and once we have them, we will share them.

(Here's a sneak preview: NYU Stern is MUCH higher on the "popularity" list than it is on our ranking ... or really any other ranking, for that matter.)

-PL

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 13:20
I really like these rankings, but of course, I'm biased. I really like that Michigan was ahead of all of its peer schools!

In my own opinion, one cannot really distinguish Harvard from Stanford, Duke from Michigan, or Kellogg from Chicago. The type that gets into Duke is also the type that is likely to get into Michigan or Darden. That said, I prefer the following tiers:

1: Harvard/Stanford
2: Wharton
3: MIT/Booth/Kellogg/Columbia
4: Dartmouth/Berkeley
5: Yale/Stern/Ross/Fuqua/Anderson/Cornell/Darden
Expert Post

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 13:22
Expert's post
Entirely fair point. Nice job giving Wharton its own tier. That seems right to us as well.
-PL

Expert Post
VP
VP
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:30
Expert's post
I think the tier structure, without looking at specialty is:

2: Wharton/Sloan/Booth/Kellogg/Columbia
3: Haas/Stern/Fuqua/Ross/Yale
4: Anderson/Johnson/Darden

Diversity

Expert Post

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 22:44
Expert's post
I think you are underrated Haas and overrating Yale, but otherwise, that seems pretty solid. I think our tier system looks more like mreevit's, but it seems that everyone on this side of the desk (applicants and consultants) have a pretty similar perspective - certainly more normalized than what you see in the actual rankings. Not that perception is reality, but it's interesting nonetheless.

-PL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 10:37
mreevit wrote:
I really like these rankings, but of course, I'm biased. I really like that Michigan was ahead of all of its peer schools!

In my own opinion, one cannot really distinguish Harvard from Stanford, Duke from Michigan, or Kellogg from Chicago. The type that gets into Duke is also the type that is likely to get into Michigan or Darden. That said, I prefer the following tiers:

2: Wharton
3: MIT/Booth/Kellogg/Columbia
4: Dartmouth/Berkeley
5: Yale/Stern/Ross/Fuqua/Anderson/Cornell/Darden

This is the one I lean towards (Amerasia's is quite good). I'd put an asterisk on Wharton, which is closer to being part of the Harvard/Stanford tier than anything else, and on Columbia, which I think tilts towards Dartmouth and Berkeley.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 20:31
I know people don't care about as much about schools outside of top-16 but here's my rank of schools such schools:

17. USC
18. UT - Austin
19. Carnegie Mellon
20. UNC - Chapel Hill
21. Washington University in St. Louis
22. Georgetown
23. Boston University
24. University of Minnesota
25. University of Notre Dame

GMAT Debrief

Re: Having some fun - our own U.S. bschool rankings   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2011, 20:31