Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper s [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 13:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (01:40) correct 22% (01:31) wrong based on 1 sessions
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 13:58
E
We need an opening modifying phrase for Horace, E is the clear winner.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
The opening statement is meant to describe Horace Pippin as indicated by the rest of the sentence. That "Horace Pippen" falls directly after the comma and opening portion of the sentence we know we are looking for something that modifies Horace.

A -Being in GMAT is ALMOST ALWAYS wrong. not always, but ALMOST always wrong, so be cautious of choosing it. Two -ing verbs (being and having) are unnecessary. A is very wordy and passive - two more no no's in GMAT.

B-In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
"In spite of" is not the correct usage here. In spite of is meant to indicate a major contrast.
"In spite of his two broken legs, he managed to finish the marathon."

In our sentence, Horace paints the way he does simply because of something else, not in spite of it.

Someone can probably explain better. And if I'm wrong, then disregard as this is just my $.02 :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 18:24
bucitty, I think your explanation is good.
But shouldn't E be preceded with "Having" for it to work? Or is it fine the way it is?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 22:07
I will go with E too even though B comes tantalizingy close,
OA please
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 07:37
B is out as ‘in spite of ‘ (to me) sound out of place.
C is plain strange.

E seems to be a passive voice as object is working on the verb not the subject but then it has missing ‘were’ after ‘His right hand & arm’.

D. Needs something like ‘Even though’ or ‘though’ in the beginning.

A is my answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 07:52
introductory prepositional phrases and noun phrases can certainly be modifiers. Modifying phrases do not have to have participles or gerunds (-ing verbs)

eg.
Beneath the antique wooden fishing boat, barnacles had grown for years.

Underneath the noses of her parents, Ruth had hoarded three kilograms of cocaine
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 08:41
Thanks for the clarification... E seems right to me now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 11:37
OA is E.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 06:54
buckkitty wrote:
The opening statement is meant to describe Horace Pippin as indicated by the rest of the sentence. That "Horace Pippen" falls directly after the comma and opening portion of the sentence we know we are looking for something that modifies Horace.

A -Being in GMAT is ALMOST ALWAYS wrong. not always, but ALMOST always wrong, so be cautious of choosing it. Two -ing verbs (being and having) are unnecessary. A is very wordy and passive - two more no no's in GMAT.

B-In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
"In spite of" is not the correct usage here. In spite of is meant to indicate a major contrast.

In our sentence, Horace paints the way he does simply because of something else, not in spite of it.

Someone can probably explain better. And if I'm wrong, then disregard as this is just my $.02 :)

Excellent answer. Except for your example "in spite of".

I see the question contains a certain level of "contrast" itself: In spite of this, he managed to do that. Any other way to eliminate B? I would just say B contains the poisonous BEING... though it doesn't sound very strong to eliminate.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sc-Having the right hand and arm being ... [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 06:58
His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War is an absolute phrase, not a noun phrase.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 07:13
solidcolor wrote:
buckkitty wrote:

Excellent answer. Except for your example "in spite of".

I see the question contains a certain level of "contrast" itself: In spite of this, he managed to do that. Any other way to eliminate B? I would just say B contains the poisonous BEING... though it doesn't sound very strong to eliminate.

I think the usage of Being is wrong and that's reason enough to eliminate B.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 16:13
buckkitty wrote:

Excellent!!!...E it is...B is wrong because of the unnecessary use of the contrast(changes the meaning) and use of 'being'.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper s [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 22:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper s   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 22:13