Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 10:37
It's E.

You don't start a sentence with "Because..." it doesn't make sense, it's a fragment. So C is out.

"The right hand arm and arm being...." being is redundant - D and B is out.

"Having the right hand arm...." isn't the right idiom - A is out.

So it's left with E being the best answer although I chose B but I saw where my mistake was. Avoid wordy sentences.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 10:46
I think E is correct since its simple past tense. I choose B and realised my mistake and think tenses should guide the right answer here.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 02:31
Still not convinced with E :( Whats wrong with B? apart from the use of "being" I feel thats the most appropriate best answer.

Can someone explain it further.?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 03:29
same for me me I reckon it shd have been B ..I know the being is to be avoided but in E the sentence starts with HIS ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 03:30
same for me me I reckon it shd have been B ..I know the being is to be avoided but in E the sentence starts with HIS ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 11:08
E ..

"Inspite of" is used when you have a positive aspect but a negative reality.. In this case, it was a difficult situation for Horace Pippin to be in, but he/she still out performed.. Hence, you can directly eliminate the B choice

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sentence Correction - Inspite of [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 11:09
sridhar wrote:
Still not convinced with E :( Whats wrong with B? apart from the use of "being" I feel thats the most appropriate best answer.

Can someone explain it further.?

E ..

"Inspite of" is used when you have a positive aspect but a negative reality.. In this case, it was a difficult situation for Horace Pippin to be in, but he/she still out performed.. Hence, you can directly eliminate the B choice

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 02:54
Already saw the question ......
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 07:48
E for me.

B is redundant and wordy.

D, the subjects of both noun phrase and main phrase should be the same and logical.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 10:37
good point made by nusmavrik.

I fell for B....:(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 20:17
V.Good explanation from seekmba regarding why not to use being!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 02:25
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War BEING IS INCORRECT , being is used for a temporary action, crippled arm is not a temporary action
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War Again BEING
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm Had been is unnecessary
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War whose right hand and arm? , Use of being is incorrect
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War Crispy Clear, His clearly refers Horace pippin
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
I think I have cracked this one. I wanttomake sure the [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:40
I think I have cracked this one. I wanttomake sure the explanation is right. Jump in and join the party !!

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War,Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

A. Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

B. In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

C. Because there had been a snipers bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm

D. The right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

E. His right hand and arm crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

Last edited by goalsnr on 12 Oct 2010, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: SC-Horace Pippin [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:10
Yes....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
it....is....

all the regular noo-nos in abundance such as in spite, being etc.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 249

Re: SC-Horace Pippin [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:31
Expert's post
@goalsnr: What is the name of the painter, unless you have erased it deliberately?
Not withstanding that trivium IMO, E is the only choice that is worth considering, if we eliminate suc choices as A, B and D for sporting the GMAT-averse participle being while C falls by the wayside by saying illogically that the First World War crippled his right hand and arm rather than that the sniper’s bullet did the harm

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: SC-Horace Pippin [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 16:16
daagh wrote:
@goalsnr: What is the name of the painter, unless you have erased it deliberately?
Not withstanding that trivium IMO, E is the only choice that is worth considering, if we eliminate suc choices as A, B and D for sporting the GMAT-averse participle being while C falls by the wayside by saying illogically that the First World War crippled his right hand and arm rather than that the sniper’s bullet did the harm

Sorry,it was unintentional - paste error :(
VP
VP

Re: SC-Horace Pippin [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 16:20
geturdream wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War, , a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

A. Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

B. In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

C. Because there had been a snipers bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm

D. The right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

E. His right hand and arm crippled by a snipers bullet during the First World War

E is the correct one

Great . Now IDENTIFY the error.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 04:18
went with A but thanks for the explanation. which are the scenarios where we can use being ??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 09:56
tough one,But E seems better one...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 12

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 00:43
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World
War
, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right
hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First
World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First
World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his
right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World
War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War.
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2011, 00:43