Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: SC question [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 01:19
Being, having and there is passive. A, b, c, d gone. E remains

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

Re: SC question [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 01:56
i almost got this problem right. However, i found that the punctuation in the answer E was not correct. Shouldn't this opening clause be followed by a comma rather than by a point ?
am I missing something here ?
thx in advance for answering !
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1524 [0], given: 248

Re: SC question [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 02:19
Expert's post
The period after war must be a typo. In fact, in the text, the punctuation is not even underlined. Take it as a comma, and you will find E as the best fit.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 02:46
E is good because it avoids the use of "being".
B is the trap here...
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 12:47
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War. Horace Pippin,
a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his
left
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper's bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and
arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [0], given: 6

Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 13:59
Expert's post
agdimple333 wrote:
Baten80 wrote:
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War. Horace Pippin,
a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his
left
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - i think we need past tense here instead of having
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - i am not sure about use of being here. also use of 'because' would have been better than 'inspite of '
(C) Because there had been a sniper's bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and
arm - use of past perfect is not right here.
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - again use of 'being' and also 'the right hand and arm'... probably 'his' would have helped.. or something like 'the right hand and arm of horace pippin'... but the entire clause is without 'his'
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - this one is atleast grammatically correct. and is better among all choices, though not best

Good points.

Another way to look at answer (E)--to make yourself feel more comfortable about choosing (E) would be to flip the sentence like so:

"His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin worked by holding the brush..."

to

"Horace Pippin, his right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War, worked by holding the brush...."

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 09:33
agdimple333 wrote:
Baten80 wrote:
left
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - i think we need past tense here instead of having
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - i am not sure about use of being here. also use of 'because' would have been better than 'inspite of '
arm - use of past perfect is not right here.
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - again use of 'being' and also 'the right hand and arm'... probably 'his' would have helped.. or something like 'the right hand and arm of horace pippin'... but the entire clause is without 'his'
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War - this one is atleast grammatically correct. and is better among all choices, though not best

Isn't "in spite of" and "because" have different meanings? As far as I understand, because is used in cause and effect relationship and "in spite of" is really "even though". In this case since he already has his right hand injured. Now saying, "He held brush in right hand because he had his right hand injured.." just doesn't sound right.Rather "He held brush in the left hand because he had his right hand injured.." would have been much better. Or "Even though his right hand was injured, he held the brush in right hand guiding the movements from the left" would be correct.

Being is not always wrong if the sentence makes sense. E looks OK but I am not sure if without "even though" or "inspite of", it carries the same meaning.

Please correct me if I am wrong. OA please?

I

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 11:35
E looks concise but what is wrong with "in spite of"in B

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 16:54
hellishbrain wrote:
E looks concise but what is wrong with "in spite of"in B

Actually it is a very simple IDIOM error :
B has the skeleton :
IN SPITE OF [X], [Y]
[X] needs to be parallel to [Y]
his - Horace Pippin
being crippled - worked --->there is an error in parallelism here --- It should be crippled - worked
by... - by....

So the correct form of B would be -
In spite of his right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin,
left
[NO BEING]

Now coming to E - it is a modifier.
GMATPill's explanations makes perfect sense and are correct.

For all the MGMAT-SC fans, go to MGMAT-SC - page 237 - Absolute Phrases - It is not an application of this principle. But is shows that you can put (pronoun modifier) before the noun.
That is where I was bumped. I thought this form is incorrect.

To be HONEST - I went with B initially and later realized, E is the correct answer.

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 15:05
I picked E...I was very tempted to pick A until I saw the period before "Horace Pippin"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 09:28
Baten80 wrote:
left
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War

+1 for E, after realizing that the period after "war" should be a comma -__-
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: Modifer [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 21:23
I went with B.

E seems to be a better choice now. :wink:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 7

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 05:20
86. Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War. Horace Pippin,
left
arm

My answer was B.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: practice question [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 09:46
I must admit that I picked A first but managed to find the errors in it later.

Looking at the answer choice the only reason to rule out D could be because of the usage of being. As far as I know being is 99% of the time wrong in GMAT. Experts please shed some light.

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: practice question [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 09:47
This has already been discussed. :-0

http://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-85482.html

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 12:46
Acc3ss wrote:
In addition to what was said above, in E, the underlined part acts as a modifier supporting the main subject.
Also "being" is suspicious but not always incorect. So keep your eyes openm whenever you see a "being"

I agree that "being" choices are usually incorrect and I went into a GMATprep practice exam with the same notion and I was stumped. Please see attached a question from GMATprep and you will be surprised that the correct answer includes "being".
If someone can explain the precise usage of "being"--when it can be used correctly--that will be great.

Thanks.
Attachments

File comment: OA is E for this question.
Gmat-prep-SC2.jpg
Gmat-prep-SC2.jpg [ 111.26 KiB | Viewed 2449 times ]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 17:21
Still confused between B and E..Can anyone help?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 18:41
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

Despite (Better, concise)
In spite of (Wordier)

Also, without 'being' the sentence still conveys its meaning clearly.

(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War,

His refers to Horace Pippin. This whole sentence is modifying Horace Pippin. Correct

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 38

Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:25
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War,

Doesnt this miss out a helping verb in possessive form?

There should have been a "was"

B- can not be right - as "being" represents a continuous action - as if the action was going on and on

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:53
Choice E is the correct modifier. Choices contain "being" can be eliminated directly. Choice B and C are wrong, In spite of and because are not the correct modifier.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Re: Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2012, 00:53