Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 92

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

42% (01:36) correct 58% (00:47) wrong based on 162 sessions
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Last edited by Narenn on 21 Jul 2013, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added, Topic Renamed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 18:59
Having ---something --- Being crippled is wrong

having being ... seems wrong...

Also "Being" is always suspicious for GMAT SC.

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 20:20
In addition to what was said above, in E, the underlined part acts as a modifier supporting the main subject.
Also "being" is suspicious but not always incorect. So keep your eyes openm whenever you see a "being"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Again sc 1000
my answer is A, but OA E. I cann't realise why. Can u help me?

330. Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

Please, do not put the OA "naked". Let people try without the answer.
If you want to put the OA, please put as an answer to the topic or hide it with colors, ok?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: South Asian B-schools

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
Being is wrongly used; hence option A,B,D are out.
option C Because....right hand and arm,Horace Pippin, a Black American doesn't make sense...
Option E is an inverted arrengement with His introduced before noun...but still valid

Bhushan S.
If you like my post....Consider it for Kudos :-D

6 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 197 [6] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: sc 1000 . 330 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
330. Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

E is a clear winner...

Explanation:
being crippled... is not correct as this signifies that the arm and hand is still crippling and thats not correct.... Hence A,B,D is out.. (also remember GMAT never prefers being but thats not a thumb rule)

Between C and E.... C is too wordy starting with Because there had been .... and also makes little sense.....

Hence E is the right option... with correct verb tense crippled matched to worked in the later part of the sentence...!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 15:39
Ok guys, this is a tough one:

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.

I think that B is the best. Probably, you will tell me that B is wrong because of "being". However, we must remember that sometimes "being" is right, so we cannot automatically eliminate a choice only because of that.

Probably, others will tell me that E is right. However, I think that you need a word (such as In spite of) to make the phrase "his right hand and arm......War," subordinate. Otherwise, "his right hand..." would be the subject of the sentence, a subject that doesn't have a verb and an object. Therefore, it would be wrong.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 374 [5] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT is guiding you in this example. B has "being". being is used for a process.
Thanks for the question :-D

Here is a tip (from Master Sarai :wink: )

TIP: "BEING" IS CORRECT WHEN DESCRIBING A PROCESS. SO IF YOU CAN INSERT "IN THE PROCESS OF" BEFORE THE "BEING" AND WIND UP WITH A SENSIBLE SENTENCE, THE "BEING" IS CORRECT!

(B) In spite of his right hand and arm (is in the process of ) being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War ---> B means "his right hand and arm" is in the process of being crippled during the First World War- this is not possible unless someone revisits the World War now.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
E works fine here.

The starting modifer is an absolute phrase (His right arm crippled by bullet...) modifying the noun Horace.

All the other choices just seem so wordy... with "there had been" or "being crippled."

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 05:49
Can you pls explain me why A is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 06:36
innersanctum wrote:
Can you pls explain me why A is wrong?

in 'A'.. "being crippled"... 'being' is almost always wrong.. in this case, 'being' is also not correct as this signifies that the arm and hand is still crippling which is not correct

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 08:31
I WENT FOR D
Please explain why its wrong?

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 09:12
onedayill wrote:
I WENT FOR D
Please explain why its wrong?

because of the unnecessary "being." if you can construct a sentence w/o it and still manage to have the same meaning, then it's preferred to leave "being" out.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 17:27
adalfu wrote:
E works fine here.

The starting modifer is an absolute phrase (His right arm crippled by bullet...) modifying the noun Horace.

All the other choices just seem so wordy... with "there had been" or "being crippled."

How does this phrase modify the noun Horace? If you don't add a word to show the contrast (i.e. Despite or In spite of); there wouldn't be a logical link between the phrase and the main clause.

Please your comments.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 19:16
metallicafan wrote:
adalfu wrote:
E works fine here.

How does this phrase modify the noun Horace? If you don't add a word to show the contrast (i.e. Despite or In spite of); there wouldn't be a logical link between the phrase and the main clause.

Please your comments.

Sorry, thanks for catching my error. I meant to say that the absolute phrase (an example of a verb modifier) is modifying the clause "Horace worked by X'ing and by Y'ing" not the noun "Horace."

Other examples of absolute phrases:

From MGMAT:
His arm in pain, Guillermo strode out of the building. "His arm in pain" is the absolute phrase (i.e., a noun + noun modifier + no main verb -- an absolute phrase may contain a verbal) that describes how Guillermo strode out.

From http://grammar.about.com/od/basicsenten ... utephr.htm:
Their breaths white in frosty air, the hunters rested for a moment. "Their breaths white in frosty air" describes the clause "hunters rested for a moment."

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 22:31
E works just fine here,

Being -- almost always incorrect on GMAT
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 04:44
metallicafan wrote:
Ok guys, this is a tough one:

My gut feel is E.
C (because there had been..too long) & D (too long again ) are out straight away.
A - Having doesn't look right.
B - "In spite of" - I think it should be "Despite "
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 374 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hey metallicafan

:wink: It does. I am fan of PP

See this link :
http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... rases.html

Peace ! :band
metallicafan wrote:
adalfu wrote:
E works fine here.

Please your comments.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: a tough one: a sniper's bullet [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 08:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nusmavrik wrote:
Hey metallicafan

:wink: It does. I am fan of PP

See this link :
http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... rases.html

Peace ! :band
metallicafan wrote:
adalfu wrote:
E works fine here.

Please your comments.

Thanks nusmavrik!,...that's what I was looking for!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 09:54

(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War.
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 09:54