Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a snipers [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 07:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War.

Are A, B, D wrong bcos of 'being'?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 09:21
I think using 'being' is extraneous.

my answer: E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 10:25
lnaik wrote:
Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin, a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his left.
(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War

(C) Because there had been a sniper’s bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War.

I want to say that A,B, and D are wrong because of the use of passive voice...but I could be wrong...anyhow, here is my reasoning:

the sentence should be "a sniper's bullet(subject) crippled his right hand and arm(object) during the WW1"

but the choices A,B, D turns the object into subject, which made them into passive voice...since active voice is prefered in GMAT, so I got rid of them...

C is out, because there is just no reason to start the sentence with a conjunction "because"....so that left me with E

Please don't flame me if I am wrong....

I too picked E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 11:29
Confused betwee B and E.

B sounds much better but the being. I would go with B still
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 14:27
I think its E

In order to decipher this, you need to recognize that

"Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper’s bullet during the First World War"

is a modifying clause. A modifying clause is only succesfull if it properly modifies the main clause of the sentence. Therefore, there must be some reference from the modifying clause to the main clause, in this case, it should be "his right arm". Any of the proposed solutions that do not specifically mention that the right arm that caught a bullit is HIS right arm therefore must be wrong.

For this reason, you can drop A and D

B is wrong because of in spite, which does not properly reflect the intent of the author, as the author is trying to explain why he needs his left arm to support his right while working, rather than emphasizing that he has this "amazing" ability to work despite being injured.

C begins with the word because, which does convey the main idea of the author properly, but resorts to using "there had been a bullet", which puts the focus of the modifying sentence on the bullet rather than his arm. Therefore wrong too!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 23:17
lnaik wrote:

Im for E.

B was tempting though b/c the use of: in spite of, used for major contrasts.

Ex/ taken from someone else: in spite of breaking both his legs, roger managed to finish the race.

However, being in B turned me off.

C is long awkard
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 01:07
lnaik wrote:

A-being is wrong here
B-is tempting but use of being...
C-this should be correct but very awkward
D-being
E-really, this part doesn't match to the rest of the sentence.
I would still pick C
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 06:25
another vote for E.

"In spite" is used to compare.
and "C" is just too weird, I think the subject and object of the sentence is flip in this case.

Need th OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 08:18
OA is E. Source : GMAT PREP
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC set 8 Q20 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 21:30
Was confused between B and E , went for E finally , here is the explaination why

(E) In E, the construction- His right hand... crippled clearly and grammatically modifies the subject of the sentence, Horace Pippin.
In A, the use of the two participles Having and being is ungrammatical.
Choice B is awkward and changes the meaning of the original statement: the point is that Pippin's method of painting arose because of, not in spite of, his injury.
Choice C is wordy and awkwardly places the clause beginning that crippled... so that it appears to modify the First World War rather than bullet.
In choice D, ‘The’ should be His, and ‘being’ should be omitted.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: SC set 8 Q20   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2011, 21:30