Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 13:15
I usually get to the upper 20s in question and then have to guess on the following 8. I feel this is significantly hurting my score. However, I am afraid that if I speed up my process I will make more mistakes and result in an even lower score. Any suggestions?

P.S. Anyone else know the Manhattan-GMAT books front to back but still feel like they are being blindsides with strange quant questions on practice CATS? Im not sure if I am unable to adapt to changes in questions or if Manhattan-GMAT books aren't that great.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 19:35
geisends wrote:
I usually get to the upper 20s in question and then have to guess on the following 8. I feel this is significantly hurting my score. However, I am afraid that if I speed up my process I will make more mistakes and result in an even lower score. Any suggestions?

Yes. I would suggest that you look at questions as blocks of 5 where you take your time (not more than 2.5 minutes) to do the first 4 and guess the 5th one. This way, instead off running out of time and guessing 8 questions towards the end, you can distribute the guesses evenly across the test.

Quote:
P.S. Anyone else know the Manhattan-GMAT books front to back but still feel like they are being blindsides with strange quant questions on practice CATS? Im not sure if I am unable to adapt to changes in questions or if Manhattan-GMAT books aren't that great.

Manhattan Books cover the theory dude... But problem solving is a skill and skill can be honed only with practice.
Therefore, use the Manhattan Books to familiarize yourself with the concepts tested in GMAT and then use reliable sources of problems to understand HOW to apply these concepts to answer various types of questions.

:)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [0], given: 165

Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 17:21
Expert's post
I mentioned this timing drill in another post. It has helped a lot of our students. Try it and see if it helps you speed up:

A timing drill that students find very useful:

Quick First Step
Select a set of 10 or 20 questions, and give yourself 30 seconds per question to get started on each. When you’re completed with the set, go back and finish each question, checking to determine how accurate your first steps were. The goal of this drill is to begin working through each question quickly and accurately – even if all you do is transfer values, variables, diagrams, etc. from the screen to paper. Students who begin working quickly are at a tremendous advantage, as prolonged hesitation not only wastes time, but also increases anxiety.

You will also learn through this drill where your initial errors are made when attacking a question quickly. Often students will find a pattern in the way that they start questions incorrectly – misinterpreting equations, making incorrect assumptions, etc. – and can improve substantially by simply correcting one or two major error categories.

If the above drills are tough to complete in 30-40 seconds per question, then you may simply want to train yourself to categorize by not even getting started on the problems, but taking 30 seconds to just identify “what are they asking” and “what skills will be necessary” so that you can start to see the similarity between questions and not just the differences.

Check out the links below for more on timing strategies:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/08 ... algorithm/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 13:16
do your best to just pace yourself, not every question you get is solvable in exactly 2 mins, some are slower some are faster. if you feel like you reach a question that is taking forever, you may just have to let that one go and build yourself back up with the remaining questions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 21:24
Take a practice test and see what happens if you DO speed things up. You say you are worried that you don't know what will happen if you try to work more quickly, but you haven't tried it. You should not be so afraid of sacrificing accuracy for speed, be confident and do an experiment.

The more you practice working at a quicker pace, the better you will get.

Think of it this way, you know you will get a low score if you run out of time by working too slowly, so what have you got to lose by working faster?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 05:45
Also if you can go back and view the amount of time you spent on each question, this can be very useful in determining why you're running out of time.

If you find that most of your questions you finish in under 2 minutes, except for a few 5+ minute questions, you can easily address this by setting a time limit per question. Or getting better at realizing if you're attempting a question you simply dont know how to attack.

However, if you're finding that you're consistently taking more time than allotted per question, you need to find a way to speed up your process.
Re: Having trouble finishing quant section- Any ideas?   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2011, 05:45