Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Having Trouble With Recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.76
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Having Trouble With Recommendations [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 18:58
One of my recommenders keeps saying that he will submit my recs, but he still hasn't and I can't get in touch with him. I asked my current direct report for a rec and our group supervisor told him that he is not allowed to write me a recommendation and that nobody else in my group is allowed to write me one either.

I have one recommendation submitted and it's from a college professor. I have some contacts at a previous client who really like me, but I only worked there for 8 weeks and it took 6 months to get a performance evaluation out of them. Should I wait it out with this first contact or should I ask the people from my previous client? Has anyone had success from not having a professional recommendation. I helped out a lot with my dad's small business and could maybe get a recommendation from one of our customers.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8825 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Having Trouble With Recommendations [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 07:42
Expert's post
Hey - I know how you feel!

It is very common for the recommenders to be late and to have to be reminded multiple times. Usually they come through but it takes a few "do you need any more info" type of emails/reminders do the job. Usually it is BETTER to go with your first choice who has had plenty of time to prep. I would attempt to contact the person one more time and if you don't hear back, you can send a "hey, I did not hear from you for a while. I am really serious about bschool and though I appreciate your effort and help with the recommendation, I will ask someone else. I value our relationship and I hope it has not put a strain on it. No, go screw yourself ahole."

The last part is optional :-)

As an FYI:
Traditionally, college/academic references are not as encouraged due to the fact that business school is about a professional/leadership setting, and professors don't always have enough exposure in a large class to observe that. You are also in a college setting where your responsibilities are limited; consequences are muted, anyway, you get the idea.

You want to get a recommendation from someone who knows you well and can talk about you in a positive light. If they do not know you very well, the recommender needs to be briefed/helped with any of the questions they may not know answers to (some questions are purposefully insightful to see if the recommender knows you well enough).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Having Trouble With Recommendations   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2013, 07:42