Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: HBS 2+2.. am I good enough? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sheepykiyomi wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
sheepykiyomi wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in applying to the HBS (2+2 program) and Stanford (deferred admission). I am only considering these two schools because I am currently in college and do not want to do my MBA directly after college. Those are the only two programs from top schools in the US I know. Please do let me know if there are more.

22 years old. Asian American female, US citizen.

Drexel University
Accelerated 5-year B.S. and M.S. in Biomedical Engineering
Minor in Business Administration
GPA 3.82, GMAT 750 Q49 V42

I have done three co-ops (6 month internships) during my time at college:
1. chinese pharma company in shanghai - biologics assays
2. Merck - vaccine engineer
3. Johnson & Johnson - Lean, process improvement

leadership positions that I've had:
1. Vice president of my sorority at college
2. president of an overall Greek council that oversees many fraternities and sororities at college
3. founded (and is current president of) an engineering and science society at college
4. president of an intern society at Johnson and Johnson
5. membership director for local chapter of society of women engineers

Other info:
Studied abroad in London for a semesters and took non-engineering cultural enrichment courses
I have won multiple scholarships for my good academics/involvement on campus

I consider myself very ambitious.. I am about to starting my last year in college and am planning to apply to b school this fall. By the time I graduate college, I will have a B.S. and M.S. degree and 1.5 years of internship experience.

I am slightly worried that because I come from a very average undergraduate school, Harvard /Stanford will look at me negatively. The truth is I was accepted into ivy league schools for my undergrad but could not afford it at the time. (not sure if I should blend this into my essay somehow to make sure that I am on the same starting point as ivy-league grads)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATE!!!! Thank you!!!!

Yale has the Silver Scholars Program, which is also a deferred admissions program for college seniors.

You have a competitive profile for 2+2 and the Stanford deferred admission program. While I feel you are correct that there is a certain bias towards Ivy League and elite colleges in general, given your stats and what you have accomplished, I definitely think you have a chance at both programs. I know HBS wlll consider you while enrolled win a joint masters program; please confirm that the same is true of Stanford and Yale, if you choose to apply there.

Regarding mentioning your acceptances and the reason you didn't accept them, I think it really depends on how you portray it and I'm not sure it's worth using valuable real estate on. You should have so much to include and write about, I fear you might come across as 'whining" or making excuses when you don't have to excuse anything. You went to school, excelled, and took advantage of every opportunity that came your way. You are ambitious!

You might be interested in a webinar I gave last week, The Accepted Guide to Getting into Harvard Business School. The recording is now available on line.

If you would like help with your apps, please keep Accepted in mind.

Best,
Linda

Best,
Linda

Thank you Linda. This is very helpful!!!!!!

You're welcome. Glad to help!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HBS 2+2.. am I good enough? [#permalink]