Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2+2 2014 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2016)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 14:49
whiplash2411 wrote:
When we signed up for the interviews, there were totally 84 slots. I haven't checked how many are left.

And I'm not sure if it's 50% finance. It seems more inclined towards engineering. And I know a few people who got invites and we are all engineering girls. What other trends have you noticed, Sandy?

Posted from my mobile device Image

INTERESTING, 84 SLOTS DOES NOT MEAN 84 INVITES, SINCE THEY JUST POST X SLOTS PER DAY FOR Y DAYS, SORTA, AND DONT CARE IF THERE ARE EMPTY SLOTS.
VERY DIFFERENT THAN FROM MY G.P. SHE DONT GOT NO EMPTY SLOTS, AND YOU NEED TO SIGN UP WITH HER IT IS ABOUT 4 MONTHS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR 12 MINUTES OF FACE TIME. WHEN MEDICARE STARTS PAYING HBS FOR INTERVIEWS, THEY WILL DEVOLVE TO THAT SYSTEM-- REALLY, SOME INTERN COULD TALK TO YOU FOR 8 MINTUES TO SEE IF YOU CAN SPEAK ENGLISH, THEN DEE CAN COME IN FOR 12 MINUTES OF REAL INTERVIEW AND "GROPING," THEN DEE CAN SHUFFLE OFF TO NEXT INTERVIEW AND THEN SOME OTHER INTERN CAN ASK IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS. THEY COULD INTERVIEW MILLIONS.

OK, BACK TO REALITY--
CRAZY GUESS HERE BASED ON NOT MUCH, SO FEEL FREE TO DISAGREE, OR ADD ANY ATOM OF ACTUAL INFO.

TOTAL NUMBER OF SUMMER 2+2 INTERVIEWS=70-75, YIELDING ~38-40+ ADMITS AND 18-25 WL.
THOSE NUMBERS JUST FEEL RIGHT BASED ON FOUR ROUNDS AND TOTAL 2+2 CLASS OF 115-120+ (THAT FIGURE IS COMBINED "OLD" 2+2 CLASS OF 100-106 OR SO PLUS THE 10-15 KIDS THEY USED TO TAKE AS NON 2+2 COLLEGE SENIORS AND DEFER ANYWAY] THOSE NUMBERS GIVE THEM FLEXIBILITY, WITH 80 0R SO MORE PLACES TO PLAY WITH + A VERY TALENTED WL TO FALL BACK ON. OF COURSE, SOME KIDS ARE ALREADY ON THE WL. AND PUTTING KIDS ON WL IS LIKE EASY.
THEY PROBABLY PROJECTED THIS USING THE TOTAL NUMBER OF APPS RECEIVED OVER THE SUMMER (VS OLD TOTAL APPS WHEN YOU HAD TO APPLY IN SUMMER) AND DID NOT HAVE THE TIME OR PATIENCE TO INTEREST OR SKILLS TO ADJUST FOR ANY THEORETICAL QUALITY DIFFS AMONG EARLY APPLICANTS. THAT IS WHAT THE WAITLIST IS FOR.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 19:22

Last edited by solb22 on 09 Jan 2014, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 19:34
hbsguru wrote:
INTERESTING, 84 SLOTS DOES NOT MEAN 84 INVITES, SINCE THEY JUST POST X SLOTS PER DAY FOR Y DAYS, SORTA, AND DONT CARE IF THERE ARE EMPTY SLOTS.
VERY DIFFERENT THAN FROM MY G.P. SHE DONT GOT NO EMPTY SLOTS, AND YOU NEED TO SIGN UP WITH HER IT IS ABOUT 4 MONTHS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR 12 MINUTES OF FACE TIME. WHEN MEDICARE STARTS PAYING HBS FOR INTERVIEWS, THEY WILL DEVOLVE TO THAT SYSTEM-- REALLY, SOME INTERN COULD TALK TO YOU FOR 8 MINTUES TO SEE IF YOU CAN SPEAK ENGLISH, THEN DEE CAN COME IN FOR 12 MINUTES OF REAL INTERVIEW AND "GROPING," THEN DEE CAN SHUFFLE OFF TO NEXT INTERVIEW AND THEN SOME OTHER INTERN CAN ASK IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS. THEY COULD INTERVIEW MILLIONS.

OK, BACK TO REALITY--
CRAZY GUESS HERE BASED ON NOT MUCH, SO FEEL FREE TO DISAGREE, OR ADD ANY ATOM OF ACTUAL INFO.

TOTAL NUMBER OF SUMMER 2+2 INTERVIEWS=70-75, YIELDING ~38-40+ ADMITS AND 18-25 WL.
THOSE NUMBERS JUST FEEL RIGHT BASED ON FOUR ROUNDS AND TOTAL 2+2 CLASS OF 115-120+ (THAT FIGURE IS COMBINED "OLD" 2+2 CLASS OF 100-106 OR SO PLUS THE 10-15 KIDS THEY USED TO TAKE AS NON 2+2 COLLEGE SENIORS AND DEFER ANYWAY] THOSE NUMBERS GIVE THEM FLEXIBILITY, WITH 80 0R SO MORE PLACES TO PLAY WITH + A VERY TALENTED WL TO FALL BACK ON. OF COURSE, SOME KIDS ARE ALREADY ON THE WL. AND PUTTING KIDS ON WL IS LIKE EASY.
THEY PROBABLY PROJECTED THIS USING THE TOTAL NUMBER OF APPS RECEIVED OVER THE SUMMER (VS OLD TOTAL APPS WHEN YOU HAD TO APPLY IN SUMMER) AND DID NOT HAVE THE TIME OR PATIENCE TO INTEREST OR SKILLS TO ADJUST FOR ANY THEORETICAL QUALITY DIFFS AMONG EARLY APPLICANTS. THAT IS WHAT THE WAITLIST IS FOR.

Hey Sandy, any guesses on how the odds would be different for Round 1, 2 or 3?

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Yale '14, HBS 2+2 '18
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:05
My bet is they have a similar breakdown for R1 for interview/WL percentages before they change it up in R2 and R3. That's just my guess, though. That way they can stock up on strong applicants in the WL to compare to the late-rounders.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
FOR ALL 2+2 INTERVIEW INVITE KIDS. FYI.
THESE ARE FROM YEARS PAST, AND I DONT EXPECT THEM TO CHANGE. Hi Sandy

My interview (for 2+2) was ----. Shes really nice and welcoming!

Questions:

a) How is your summer going?
b) What do you do at work?
c) Are these your own projects or did you become a part of something that was ongoing?
d) What is your dream job?
e) Questions about my boss and his companies (business model)
f) Why 2+2?
g) What risks does 2+2 allow you to take? Give an example of a risk
h) Strengths
i) Weaknesses
j) A misconception about you that people get when they first meet you?
k) A product that you admire?
l) Tell me something about yourself that will surprise me?
m) Anything else?
=============

hbsguru wrote:
HBS 2+2 MOCK INTERVIEWS
http://hbsguru.com/2+2Interviews.html
I DO A LOT OF THEM:

Since the 2+2 program began, HBS has probably interviewed close to 450-500 2+2 candidates in total and I have done mock interviews with close to 20 of them --and that is just the 2+2 program.

Last year, for its regular admission cycle, HBS interviewed 1800 people--I gave mock interviews to over 100 of those 1800 people.

I really know how to do this, read testimonials RIGHT AT BOTTOM HERE
http://hbsguru.com/2+2Interviews.html

Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 600 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.

I KNOW QUESTIONS TYPICALLY ASKED TO 2+2 CANDIDATES, BOTH US AND INTERNATIONAL--THOSE WHO ARE LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS, SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJORS, AND SCIENCE MAJORS.

1.I know typical HBS questions often asked to 2+2 candidates with summer work experience as investment bankers, venture capital and hedge fund associates, medical and lab researchers, non-profit interns, Washington interns, Obama interns, McCain interns, Palin nannies and sled dog wranglers, interns at Fortune 500 companies, interns at start-ups and kids who started their own companies.
2.I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
3.I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
4.I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
5.I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
6.can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
◦"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
◦"How will your classmates remember you?"
◦"How have you grown as a leader?"
7.I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
8.I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
◦"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
◦"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
9.I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
◦"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
◦"How would your friends describe you?"
◦"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your HBS application and we set up a time for the interview. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $350.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 07:50
Move aside plankers, leisure diving latest HBS INTERNET sensation

and now for something different....................video, at Boston Herald, really worth a look.

http://bostonherald.com/business/techno ... position=3

Move aside plankers, leisure diving latest HBS INTERNET sensation
By Joshua Walovitch
Friday, August 5, 2011 - Updated 6 minutes ago

Leave it to the brain trust at Harvard Business School to turn “leisure diving” — jumping into a body of water, fully clothed, while striking a lounging pose midair — into the hottest Internet trend.

“Ideally, a photographer captures the moment when the diver has reached peak height above water, when his or her hips are parallel to the waterline,” said recent HBS grad Brian Thorne, who co-created HTTP://leisuredive.com, a site dedicated to posting the wet and wacky photos with John Lewis and Alex Scott

Within 12 hours of the site launch, it grabbed over a half million views.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 328

Kudos [?]: 1330 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 21:35
I just checked again and there were like 4 or 5 that were not filled. So maybe 80 interview invites?

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 15:54
whiplash2411 wrote:
I just checked again and there were like 4 or 5 that were not filled. So maybe 80 interview invites?

thanks, that makes sense, altho i find it a bit odd they would put up only 84 options for 80 slots, altho everyone was ON NOTICE to clear those days for possible interview long time ago. Process is more volitile during 'regular' rounds where pages and new times and cities get added, and invites spurt out in two or three blasts and then some more dribble out, and they often take down pages.
This sounds like summer rules, and besides, Dillon House prob in semi-snooze mode about now.
Her Majesty prob. recreating in Scotland.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 328

Kudos [?]: 1330 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 15:58
Interesting. I guess the prior notification about requiring to attend an interview on campus must have done it, I guess?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 03:19
I am seeing more people applying in round one...I hope we can have the same percentage of interview:applicants
Manager
Manager

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 03:27
02163 wrote:
I am seeing more people applying in round one...I hope we can have the same percentage of interview:applicants

Let's hope so :)

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Intern
Intern

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:01
Hey, just looking for anyone's feedback here... I finally took the GMAT yesterday and got a 730. My quant score was right in line with how I usually did on practice exams, but my verbal was lower than any of my practice tests. I know a 730 isn't an issue with regular admissions, but I would expect the average GMAT for 2+2 applicants to be higher than the average for HBS, so I'm concerned that it might be lower than most 2+2 applications. I know I can do better, but I don't want to retake it if it's not going to be worth my time. Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:03
Hi. I think a 730 will suffice because your gpa is 3.81. Both of these together puts a check mark that you have the "academic excellence" as stated in their admissions site. Just concentrate on other aspects of your application!

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:47
730 is above their average for 2+2
Manager
Manager

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 08:58
Sampo wrote:
Hey, just looking for anyone's feedback here... I finally took the GMAT yesterday and got a 730. My quant score was right in line with how I usually did on practice exams, but my verbal was lower than any of my practice tests. I know a 730 isn't an issue with regular admissions, but I would expect the average GMAT for 2+2 applicants to be higher than the average for HBS, so I'm concerned that it might be lower than most 2+2 applications. I know I can do better, but I don't want to retake it if it's not going to be worth my time. Any thoughts?

It's above average for 2+2:
Testing Information
Complete Range
of GMAT Scores 570-780
Average GMAT 720
Range of GRE Q 680-800
Range of GRE V 570-800
Average GRE Q 773
Average GRE V 662
Average GPA* 3.76

See the complete 2+2 class stats here: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-statistics/2+2/

Intern
Intern

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 09:05
OK, thanks for the advice. I guess I was worried over nothing. I'll probably just focus on the rest of my app instead of worrying about retaking the GMAT to try for 30 or so more points... looks like it wouldn't make a significant difference.
Manager
Manager

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 14:40

Last edited by solb22 on 09 Jan 2014, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2133

Kudos [?]: 7263 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 14:57
Expert's post
solb22 wrote:
Sampo wrote:
OK, thanks for the advice. I guess I was worried over nothing. I'll probably just focus on the rest of my app instead of worrying about retaking the GMAT to try for 30 or so more points... looks like it wouldn't make a significant difference.

Unless your scoring really well (99%), retaking it actually looks bad to the adcom. I would advise against it

What is the premise behind it? Why does it look bad?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 15:14

Last edited by solb22 on 09 Jan 2014, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 15:28
Yeah, I was expecting to get around 750-770, based off of my practice exams. I would have to have a really good day to do better than that, so I don't think an extra few points would make much of a difference. I'm guessing that it's just not worth it for me to retake in this case. Good point about the adcoms looking at it as a bad thing, too. I didn't really even think about that.
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014)   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2011, 15:28