Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2+2 Profile Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

HBS 2+2 Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 08:50
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile for HBS 2+2 (Class of 2016). What are my chances and would it be worth it to take a shot?

GMAT:
Total: 740, 97%
Quant: 50, 93%
Verbal: 40, 89%
AWA: yet to know (how much does it matter?)

Academics:
Integrated M.Sc. in Applied Geology at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, India - it's India's no. 1 undergrad institute and ~ no. 470 in the world.
University - GPA 8.71 on a 10.0 point scale
School Class 12 - 84.1%
School Class 10 - 85.1%

Internships:
1. Training at Asia's largest oil exploration and production company. It is a Fortune Global 500 company.
2. Research project at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany under DAAD scholarship
3. Research project at a premier science institute of India
4. Internship with CRY (Child Rights and You) - a leading Indian NGO - conducted Access Audit in various schools, libraries etc. as part of a team. Led a two-member delegation team that recommended the Senior P.R.O. & Chief Engineer of Kolkata Metro Railway North-South extension project for making it accessible for all. It was eventually implemented as recommended.

Workshops:
ELLE Workshop at Tübingen, Germany: Delivered a Talk on one of past research projects.

Positions of Responsibility:
1. Co-Founder of a college chapter of CRY, an Indian NGO working for child rights. Delivered some significant results.
2. Part of Design Team of Kshitij, Asia’s largest Techno-Management Fest: from Volunteer to Member to eventually a Head of the team. Associated with for 3 years.
3. Part of Spectra, the Fine Arts & Design Group of IIT Kharagpur: associated with for last 3 years, assumed roles from Member to Head to Governor.
4. Social and Cultural Secretary of departmental society; Class Representative earlier.
5. Student Member of the 3rd year and 4th year Departmental Academic Advisory Committee.

Extra Curricular Achievements:
1. Won a Gold Medal for Painting in an international competition. It receives more than 1,60,000 entries from over 130 countries every year. The award was presented by the President of India.
2. Won 3rd prize in Marca de Fabrica, an ad-design competition in my college festival.

Thanks in advance for responding to my profile inquiry.

Regards,
Saptak

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 06:54
Sounds like you really want to apply, so go for it.

The thing with the 2+2 is that they're really looking for people who normally wouldn't have considered business in the first place (i.e. science and lib arts majors). As for engineering types, it seems more "domestic" meaning that they're looking more at US candidates.

Now, on the surface you may fit what they're looking for (you've got an engineering background). However, you're part of a demographic (Indian engineer) that does apply to b-school (and is in fact a pretty large segment of the applicant pool). As such, when an adcom looks at your profile, they'll assume there's a good chance you'll be applying to b-school anyways in a few years much like your fellow Indian engineers are doing now, so there's less reason to admit you over other applicants where that may not be as apparent. In any case, this isn't in your control, so all you can do is just do the best you can on the applications, and have realistic expectations about your chances going into it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: HBS 2+2 Profile Eval   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2011, 06:54