Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
Quick update. Dana replied that HBS is not currently releasing the number of students on the waitlist, but will send an email updated that may or may not included an updated number after May 30, the Round 3 decision deadline.

In other news, I got accepted into Booth today! My guess is it's fair to say that the chances of getting into HBS at this point are probably less than 10-20%, right? Has anyone heard anything?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBAforEdReform wrote:
Quick update. Dana replied that HBS is not currently releasing the number of students on the waitlist, but will send an email updated that may or may not included an updated number after May 30, the Round 3 decision deadline.

In other news, I got accepted into Booth today! My guess is it's fair to say that the chances of getting into HBS at this point are probably less than 10-20%, right? Has anyone heard anything?

Congrats on Booth. You have a decision on your hand. Yale vs Booth.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rocket1741 wrote:
MBAforEdReform wrote:

Congrats on Booth. You have a decision on your hand. Yale vs Booth.

Thanks! I know. Just when I had finally decided Yale over Ross and Darden. But, it's a good decision to have to make. I think most people would think that it's a no brainer and to go to Booth, but Yale might make more sense for me given a few factors:

-I think that I will likely want to stay in education - if not immediately following b-school then in the long-term. For this reason, Yale's loan forgiveness program (100% loan forgiveness if you work non-profit for less than $84,000 and 50% loan forgiveness if you make less than $94,000) is really appealing. In addition, Yale's mission to produce leaders for business and society aligns with my own ambitions.

-I am betting that Synder will really grow Yale's program. If Yale's b-school gets within the top 5-10, then you a pretty killer combo in terms of brand new university + top business school.

That said, I would love to gain the harder quant skills from Booth (as someone without more than ~2 years of private sector experience) and it's a solidly top 5 program.

Any thoughts folks? (I realize this is probably not the right thread for this, but what the heck.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
MBAforEdReform wrote:
Thanks! I know. Just when I had finally decided Yale over Ross and Darden. But, it's a good decision to have to make. I think most people would think that it's a no brainer and to go to Booth, but Yale might make more sense for me given a few factors:
-I think that I will likely want to stay in education - if not immediately following b-school then in the long-term. For this reason, Yale's loan forgiveness program (100% loan forgiveness if you work non-profit for less than $84,000 and 50% loan forgiveness if you make less than $94,000) is really appealing. In addition, Yale's mission to produce leaders for business and society aligns with my own ambitions.
-I am betting that Synder will really grow Yale's program. If Yale's b-school gets within the top 5-10, then you a pretty killer combo in terms of brand new university + top business school.
That said, I would love to gain the harder quant skills from Booth (as someone without more than ~2 years of private sector experience) and it's a solidly top 5 program.
Any thoughts folks? (I realize this is probably not the right thread for this, but what the heck.)

Yale is definitely strong in the education/non profit and the loan forgiveness program is exciting, but I think in terms of overall quality and name brand/network, Booth wins hands down and it's not close. With that said, if you are 100% set on education and don't really care much about the overall brand, Yale might be a better choice for you. I honestly don't know much about education industry, so can't really comment on the recruitment at both schools, but I would imagine majority of the recruiters won't care if you are from either schools.

Obviously, I am secretly hoping that you get into HBS or go to Booth, so its easier for me to get off of Yale WL. Please keep us posted what you decide.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 08-25-2011
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
MBAforEdReform wrote:

Yale is definitely strong in the education/non profit and the loan forgiveness program is exciting, but I think in terms of overall quality and name brand/network, Booth wins hands down and it's not close. With that said, if you are 100% set on education and don't really care much about the overall brand, Yale might be a better choice for you. I honestly don't know much about education industry, so can't really comment on the recruitment at both schools, but I would imagine majority of the recruiters won't care if you are from either schools.

Obviously, I am secretly hoping that you get into HBS or go to Booth, so its easier for me to get off of Yale WL. Please keep us posted what you decide.

Is anybody actively campaigning to get off the list? I know that HBS says no new materials but wasn't sure whether conventional wisdom says otherwise.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just waiting as patiently as possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
crossadmit2 wrote:
Is anybody actively campaigning to get off the list? I know that HBS says no new materials but wasn't sure whether conventional wisdom says otherwise.

Nope - from everything I've heard and talking to HBS peeps they say the adcom is pretty strict on this. I've heard that they will generally ignore updates as they say and can get annoyed if you reach out too much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bostonbound88 wrote:
crossadmit2 wrote:

Nope - from everything I've heard and talking to HBS peeps they say the adcom is pretty strict on this. I've heard that they will generally ignore updates as they say and can get annoyed if you reach out too much.

Do you think this holds true if an HBS alum is willing to send an email supporting your candidacy on your behalf. This is the one extra step that I have considered, but am not sure if it could actually work against me. What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAforEdReform wrote:
bostonbound88 wrote:
crossadmit2 wrote:

Do you think this holds true if an HBS alum is willing to send an email supporting your candidacy on your behalf. This is the one extra step that I have considered, but am not sure if it could actually work against me. What do you guys think?

Depends on the seniority. If it's a recent alum (last 5 years or so) and someone not senior (i.e. Partner at a firm, big donor, VP / Executive) I've heard it doesn't do anything. If it's someone senior who has been a good donor to HBS it can make a difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I'm guessing they haven't really accepted anyone off the WL the last two weeks and will proceed to do so post-May 30th?

I remember in one email they had said they would be accepting ~20 off the WL through the rest of May and June... but sounds like in practice it's really just June.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi All, I have good news for you.

I am relinquishing myself from the waitlist today. Just emailed Dana.

That should narrow the pile down for those of you still holding out, so good luck! I wish you all the best, at HBS, another program this year, or with the decision to apply again next go-round!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So... may 30 has come and gone, no word here. Any news?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No word here either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Crickets
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Why update us now? We've only been doing this for 6 months.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
poseidon85 wrote:
Why update us now? We've only been doing this for 6 months.

Or 9, but who's counting
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Question: are they accepting people on a rolling basis, or are they deciding on a rolling basis. (In other words, are they mostly just sending out "yes" decisions until their next publicized "release" date, or could I receive a "yes" or "no" at any time?)

Also, of those on the waitlist, how likely would you be to take the spot if you got it?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts