Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 10:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thought it might be useful to have a new thread to share / vent / analyse our thoughts on the waitlist process.

I'm disappointed, but optimistic...

The worst thing is the timing aspect. I applied R1 to give me some early certainty about where I will be 2013, so the waitlist delays everything by several months.

--------------------------------------------------------------

HBS 2013 Waitlist
Post in the thread to be added to the roll call

Round 1:
    23J11
    axe88
    BigRedMBA - Accepted with R2.
    guest1234
    hbshopeful2015
    IBuchanan
    KillingMeSlowly - Accepted with R2.
    lbnyc
    naughtyelf2000
    pike
    pv86
    shephard27
    statnerd
    u0422811
    ugeman229
    worthyiiv
    zsurf

Round 2:
    equestrian
    poseidon85
    Simeon2013
    smdonlon
    dzcz

_________________

My Debrief


Last edited by aerien on 25 Dec 2012, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 227
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
I was waitlisted as well. Agree its annoying but I would rather take a 25% chance of getting in over a 0% chance.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Am I reading the following as suggesting that 24 people in our current situation got in last year out of c.100?

Agreed that 25% odds are better than 0%!

Invitation to join the waitlist
  • We anticipate that approximately 100 Round 1 applicants will be asked to join the waitlist on October 24. This is essentially a "further consider" category and it means we'd like to re-review your candidacy after we see Round 2 applications. A meaningful number of this group will be invited to interview on the Round 2 timetable. If we do not invite interview you to interview, you will be notified of your release in mid-February. We know that a good number of you may get good news from other schools in December - at any point along the way we understand that you may choose to remove your name from our waitlist.
  • Last year, we interviewed 48 Round 1 candidates who were placed on this early waitlist before interview and admitted 24 of them.

_________________

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 592
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 18:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
When wait listed -- never give up hope. While the numbers change every year, there is always the possibility up to the day that school starts. Being waitlisted so early gives you a lot of time to continue to (unofficially) develop your application. Do not remain quiet and unknown to admissions as they might assume that if you make no efforts that you might have been admitted to another school that you are happy with (and then why offer a spot to you when it opens up). While we encourage staying actively engaged, do not be overbearing or a outright pest by continually calling, emailing, sending updates, new recommendations, etc. -- YOU MUST BE STRATEGIC WITH YOUR COMMUNICATION AND IT HAS TO BE TIMED RIGHT!

Manhattan Review
_________________

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.92
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 11:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'm also in the waitlist group, but I did interview in November. Any idea of how many of us are in the same boat?

When I was on campus for my interview we were told that if we were waitlisted in Round 1, we should receive a final decision by the Round 2 decision deadline. Does anyone know if this is still the case?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
shephard27 wrote:
I'm also in the waitlist group, but I did interview in November. Any idea of how many of us are in the same boat?

When I was on campus for my interview we were told that if we were waitlisted in Round 1, we should receive a final decision by the Round 2 decision deadline. Does anyone know if this is still the case?


I'm on the same boat. And I think we could technically be waiting until June-July for final answers. I like how transparent HBS is with the whole process, though (at least from what I am seeing from previous years).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 21:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Feel free to add me to the list.

From the replies I have received from the Adcom they are not accepting updates or additional app data for re-considering waitlisters... Am I missing something?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 8
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 11:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
pike wrote:
Am I reading the following as suggesting that 24 people in our current situation got in last year out of c.100?

Agreed that 25% odds are better than 0%!

Invitation to join the waitlist
  • We anticipate that approximately 100 Round 1 applicants will be asked to join the waitlist on October 24. This is essentially a "further consider" category and it means we'd like to re-review your candidacy after we see Round 2 applications. A meaningful number of this group will be invited to interview on the Round 2 timetable. If we do not invite interview you to interview, you will be notified of your release in mid-February. We know that a good number of you may get good news from other schools in December - at any point along the way we understand that you may choose to remove your name from our waitlist.
  • Last year, we interviewed 48 Round 1 candidates who were placed on this early waitlist before interview and admitted 24 of them.


Any comparable statistics for those waitlisted post-interview?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 02:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Who's still kicking around waiting for the 30th?
_________________

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 06:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
pike wrote:
Who's still kicking around waiting for the 30th?


Do you have that strong of a preference for HBS over Stanford? Or still trying to weight both options?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 12:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
scleraxis wrote:
pike wrote:
Who's still kicking around waiting for the 30th?


Do you have that strong of a preference for HBS over Stanford? Or still trying to weight both options?


I'm still waiting for the 30th. Chances are not great so I am managing expectations. Pike PLEASE PLEASE take GSB and improve the chances for the rest of us! Congrats again on GSB!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 07:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Question - what do you guys mean by "waiting for the 30th"? I wasn't aware we were getting updates at month-end - I thought the process was that we would be weighed against Round 2 apps and as such would not receive a decision until end of March.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 07:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
ugeman229 wrote:
Question - what do you guys mean by "waiting for the 30th"? I wasn't aware we were getting updates at month-end - I thought the process was that we would be weighed against Round 2 apps and as such would not receive a decision until end of March.


Depends if you were waitlisted pre or post interview. Those waitlisted pre interview find out if they are getting interviews same time as round 2 applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 07:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
KillingMeSlowly wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:
Question - what do you guys mean by "waiting for the 30th"? I wasn't aware we were getting updates at month-end - I thought the process was that we would be weighed against Round 2 apps and as such would not receive a decision until end of March.


Depends if you were waitlisted pre or post interview. Those waitlisted pre interview find out if they are getting interviews same time as round 2 applicants.


Got it - that makes sense.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 334
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 11:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
scleraxis wrote:
pike wrote:
Who's still kicking around waiting for the 30th?


Do you have that strong of a preference for HBS over Stanford? Or still trying to weight both options?


Stanford ticks a lot of boxes for me, but so does HBS. I like different things about both schools, plus, there are some other non-school factors that I have to consider.

Either way, I've decided to wait until I have full information before really making a decision or potentially having the decision made for me.
_________________

My Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 85
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
As WLster from rd 1, sad to say I did not hear anything in this recent wave from HBS
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jinglander wrote:
As WLster from rd 1, sad to say I did not hear anything in this recent wave from HBS

Same for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 85
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
It would make sense for all of these to happen in 2nd wave
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jinglander wrote:
It would make sense for all of these to happen in 2nd wave

I think one WLer on GMAT club chat got an invite today. Statnerd was his ID.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 85
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
KillingMeSlowly wrote:
Jinglander wrote:
It would make sense for all of these to happen in 2nd wave

I think one WLer on GMAT club chat got an invite today. Statnerd was his ID.

Hmm not seeing any updates
Re: HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 09:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Harvard (HBS) - Calling all WAITLISTED applicants - 2016 paulmey23 78 19 Dec 2013, 11:16
24 Experts publish their posts in the topic HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants pike 118 24 Oct 2012, 10:34
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Waitlisted Applicants-2013 souvik101990 12 22 Dec 2012, 22:22
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic HBS 2012 - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants jjoeteller 69 19 Dec 2011, 09:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

HBS 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 119 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.