Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 06:10
MBA Student Hiring Steady

The number of graduating Harvard Business School MBA students who have received job offers at this point in the year has held largely steady despite the current financial slump, a career services official said last week.
A “flash poll” taken by the Business School’s MBA Career Services in mid-February showed that 90 percent of second-year Business School job-seekers had received offers—down just slightly from a year ago, according to Managing Director of MBA Career Services Jana P. Kierstead. Eighty-eight percent of students responded to the survey.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=526736

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 07:27
So 90% of the 88% responding to the survey had received job offers, i.e. at least 79% of the graduating class had a job offer in hand by mid February. While that's a strong enough showing, it isn't quite the "ZOMG! HBS placed 90% of its students even in THIS economy" the thread title seems to suggest either.

Moreover, less than half of those reporting having received offers already have accepted (down as compared to last year, but by how much the article doesn't say), so we know nothing about the quality of those job offers. One would think, that people would be happy to latch on to just about any reasonable offer in trying time such as these.

But to be fair, some other interesting tidbits from the article. You decide if everything adds up. :)

Quote:
While the number of offers remains nearly unchanged, the number of recruiters seeking candidates appears to have declined significantly. According to Kierstead, this year has seen a 27 percent drop in postings to an online job board for HBS students.

Quote:
And, two students alleged, some recruiters who did come to campus had little intent of making job offers, and continued interviewing only to maintain a relationship with the school.

Quote:
Though the number of students with offers remains unchanged, slightly less than half of these have actually accepted their offers—a number down from last year.

Quote:
Huddleston said that students from other business schools whom she had met while interviewing off-campus had the impression that Harvard was not suffering as much as other schools. “They think that we aren’t having any problems,” she said. “They think we’re just using the brand name and we’re not concerned at all.”
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 07:33
solaris1 wrote:
So 90% of the 88% responding to the survey had received job offers, i.e. at least 79% of the graduating class had a job offer in hand by mid February. While that's a strong enough showing, it isn't quite the "ZOMG! HBS placed 90% of its students even in THIS economy" the thread title seems to suggest either.

Sigh, you are so critical Solaris1....

Are you turning into GB? :-D

I haven't had a cup of coffee yet so the analytical side of my brain isn't turned on.

Therefore, you win. I am not gonna even try to argue.

SVP
SVP

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 07:41
What can I say. I'm just very insecure about not going to H/S/W. :roll:
nink wrote:
Sigh, you are so critical Solaris1....

In all seriousness, I was merely encouraging people to not lose perspective of the bigger picture. Going to a "top 5" school need not always be a ticket to an awesome post-MBA job. Just something to keep in mind especially if you're turning down significant money at another strong school, or passing over a school which is an excellent fit in favour of mildly rosier employment prospects at a "better" ranked school.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:14
This post received
KUDOS
There is a correction to this article.
Quote:
Due to an editing error, the Feb. 24 news article "MBA Student Hiring Steady" incorrectly stated that a “flash poll” taken by the Harvard Business School’s MBA Career Services in mid-February showed that 90 percent of second-year Business School students seeking jobs had received offers. In fact, the poll reported that 77 percent of second-year students seeking jobs had received offers.

Instead of around 79% of second years receiving job offers, it is now around 68%.
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:20
cbreeze wrote:
There is a correction to this article.
Quote:
Due to an editing error, the Feb. 24 news article "MBA Student Hiring Steady" incorrectly stated that a “flash poll” taken by the Harvard Business School’s MBA Career Services in mid-February showed that 90 percent of second-year Business School students seeking jobs had received offers. In fact, the poll reported that 77 percent of second-year students seeking jobs had received offers.

Instead of around 79% of second years receiving job offers, it is now around 68%.

Thanks for reporting the revision

+1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:33
68% is not very attractive, but I guess the year is far from over!
SVP
SVP

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:38
I told you something didn't add up, nink. :)
SVP
SVP

Reviews Badge
Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 16:41
solaris1 wrote:
I told you something didn't add up, nink. :)

I am a third party One Man News Agency. I only reported what Harbus originally reported.
I am not responsible if one of their current bschool student decided to fudge numbers to grab attention for the article.... :wink:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2009, 20:29
[quote="solaris1"]So 90% of the 88% responding to the survey had received job offers, i.e. at least 79% of the graduating class had a job offer in hand by mid February. While that's a strong enough showing, it isn't quite the "ZOMG! HBS placed 90% of its students even in THIS economy" the thread title seems to suggest either.

I don't believe this is accurate. You can't assume that everyone who didn't respond to the survey doesn't have a job.
Re: HBS 2nd Yr Job Offers - 90% as of Mid Feb 09   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2009, 20:29