Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS - do these help with acceptance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
HBS - do these help with acceptance? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 13:38
Does having recommendations (good ones!) from a Harvard BA and MBA improve one's chances?

Also, what about a domestic partnership (opposite sex) with a current Harvard student (but not in HBS)?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 19:05
First one - I think, yes! Even if not quite as much as having a familial relation to a Harvard grad, this is still a plus.

Second one - I would shy away from mentioning this even. Don't think that it is really advantageous and I personally am not planning to mention much about personal (outside of work) relationships in my essays or anything.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 19:09
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how many recommendations HBS asks for? My boss (CFO) is the BA/MBA and she'll be #1 rec. Then the CEO.

If a 3rd is requested do you think it would be beneficial to use a former colleague who is a Harvard PhD (science)? (On that note, she now works in MIT's tech licensing office, do you that would help at MIT?)

Regarding domestic partnership, I guess a full-on spouse would matter more.

*goes shopping for wedding rings*
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 23:07
I can't say for sure how many recommendation letters HBS requires. You may be able to figure this out from someone who is currently in the application process to the school, or even just 'google' some things about it.

Your boss with the BA/MBA will be an exceptional recommendation. The CEO also. I am not sure if you would want to use a former colleague as a recommendation though if a third is required. It seems to me that recommendations are supposed to typically come from "higher-ups," at different stages in your career/education. But, then again, maybe this colleague was at one point or another. Personally, I think that a better recommendation could be found if you do need to find a third one.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2007, 20:09
seanpatin wrote:
I can't say for sure how many recommendation letters HBS requires. You may be able to figure this out from someone who is currently in the application process to the school, or even just 'google' some things about it.

HBS requires 3 recos.

L.
  [#permalink] 19 Oct 2007, 20:09