Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: HBS Essay #1 [#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
mrmikec wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for answering our questions.

Specifically, for HBS Essay #1, I am writing about my experience when I wrote my undergraduate honors thesis. Going into detail about how I utilized what I learned from other classes to formulate a theory . I go on to describe what I did and what I learned from my advisor. And how it applies to my current work.

I am concerned that this does not exhibit leadership and is too generic. I want to note that it was a great and rare honor to work with this advisor and only a very small subset of my graduating econ class receive this level of distinction. Would this be a good topic? Should I expand further? Please advise. Thanks.

mrmikec,

Depending on how well you execute, your topic choice for HBS 1 sounds good to me. The key will be to not rehash the argument of the thesis but to show the quality of your mind, your passion for the topic, and your respect for the prof. That's a legitimate approach to this essay and is *not* "too generic." Most applicants use a kitchen sink approach and yammer on about their grades (resume rehash).

Good luck,

Interesting... My story basically goes like this:

Came from european school system and THUS:
Initially had some difficulty adjusting, BUT:
Found a position at the MBA school, discovered economics, and then flourished.
Mention a specific course which I found interesting, and how it directly ties into the teaching methods of HBS.
Close with a statement about the positive nature of my experiences, my continued involvement as part of the alumni admissions commitee, and my desire to come to HBS.

I guess I'm the one being generic!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
pbodine wrote:
mrmikec wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for answering our questions.

Specifically, for HBS Essay #1, I am writing about my experience when I wrote my undergraduate honors thesis. Going into detail about how I utilized what I learned from other classes to formulate a theory . I go on to describe what I did and what I learned from my advisor. And how it applies to my current work.

I am concerned that this does not exhibit leadership and is too generic. I want to note that it was a great and rare honor to work with this advisor and only a very small subset of my graduating econ class receive this level of distinction. Would this be a good topic? Should I expand further? Please advise. Thanks.

mrmikec,

Depending on how well you execute, your topic choice for HBS 1 sounds good to me. The key will be to not rehash the argument of the thesis but to show the quality of your mind, your passion for the topic, and your respect for the prof. That's a legitimate approach to this essay and is *not* "too generic." Most applicants use a kitchen sink approach and yammer on about their grades (resume rehash).

Good luck,

Interesting... My story basically goes like this:

Came from european school system and THUS:
Initially had some difficulty adjusting, BUT:
Found a position at the MBA school, discovered economics, and then flourished.
Mention a specific course which I found interesting, and how it directly ties into the teaching methods of HBS.
Close with a statement about the positive nature of my experiences, my continued involvement as part of the alumni admissions commitee, and my desire to come to HBS.

I guess I'm the one being generic!

rhyme,

Your approach works as well because it has a "narrative logic"--that is, you are telling a story (and shrewdly tying it to HBS). The generic essay just disjointedly crams in references to high grades and extracurriculars, adding no value to what's already in the app and transcript.
GMAT Club Bot