Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS Essays & Leadership: Too much of a good thing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
HBS Essays & Leadership: Too much of a good thing? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 21:56
Now that my HBS essay topics are starting to come together I have a question on the holistic aspect.

In each of my essays I emphasize to a certain degree a leadership role I have played. Fortunately I feel I have experiences in each realm (work, extra-curricular, and personal) to craft a well-rounded application without too much redundancy.

Granted that specific examples would help, my general concern is: will sharing leadership anecdotes in every essay somehow come off as if I'm trying too hard to sell my fit with Harvard's core value? Or put another way, could this be viewed by adcoms as if I'm painting too perfect of a picture? Is putting all my eggs in the "leadership" basket a poor essay strategy?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS Essays & Leadership: Too much of a good thing? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 08:40
It's hard to say without knowing you / the rest of your app. Even so, it is probably hard to tell unless you are an adcom.

One thing you need to do, though, is think of leadership broadly. Don't focus too much on managing a team at work or other formal leadership positions. Think about affecting change, and in a broad set of situations, such as: a couple of extracurriculars (sports team, community, non profit, starting up a business or pursuing something you did not need to) and a few work or college related roles. It is also good to have at least one example in which you worked in a team without being the leader and yet were an important part of such team. Choose situations you expect your recommenders to write about, as well, so the case is more solid.

Disclaimer: the above is my educated guess on what you should do and not based on any specific knowledge on the application evaluation process.

L.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS Essays & Leadership: Too much of a good thing? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 13:35
lepium wrote:
Choose situations you expect your recommenders to write about, as well, so the case is more solid.
L.

Interesting... I've actually heard otherwise - that recommenders should write about different situations than you.
Writing the same situation may make it seem like you haven't had much leadership experience.
Then again... I don't remember where I heard/read that from.

Anyone else have thoughts/experience on this issue?
Re: HBS Essays & Leadership: Too much of a good thing?   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2008, 13:35