Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS hopeful

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
HBS hopeful [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2005, 15:29
Dear Linda,

I have a question for you. I really want to go to HBS. I just took my GMAT and scored a 710 (Q45 (77%), V42 (96%)). I am a little concerned about my math score, as it is not above 80%. I could retake it if it is necessary, but I don't want to unless I have to. Here is a little bit of background:

First two years of college:
Accredited State School (4.0/4.0)
Presidents List (Perfect GPA) All Semesters

EC's:
Resident Assistant
Fraternity Member

Second two years of college:
University of Virginia (3.8/4.0)
Deans List (Top 20%) All semesters

EC's:
Club Swim Team
Fraternity Member and Rush Chair
Manager in Business School Investment Club
Transfer Student Peer Advisor

Work Experience:
3 summers in Financial Managment (One with Merrill Lynch)
Last Summer at BB IB in strong group

Future Plans:
Have accepted with BB IB, and I will work in a very strong group for two years. All of their analysts have recieved offers from strong PE shops, so I will almost definitely be doing PE for two years after my IB stint.

I have always wanted to go to HBS and I am wondering if you could provide me with some feedback regarding how competitive I am and what I can do to improve my chances.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS hopeful [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 15:40
Expert's post
mbk5w wrote:
Dear Linda,

I have a question for you. I really want to go to HBS. I just took my GMAT and scored a 710 (Q45 (77%), V42 (96%)). I am a little concerned about my math score, as it is not above 80%. I could retake it if it is necessary, but I don't want to unless I have to. Here is a little bit of background:

First two years of college:
Accredited State School (4.0/4.0)
Presidents List (Perfect GPA) All Semesters

EC's:
Resident Assistant
Fraternity Member

Second two years of college:
University of Virginia (3.8/4.0)
Deans List (Top 20%) All semesters

EC's:
Club Swim Team
Fraternity Member and Rush Chair
Manager in Business School Investment Club
Transfer Student Peer Advisor

Work Experience:
3 summers in Financial Managment (One with Merrill Lynch)
Last Summer at BB IB in strong group

Future Plans:
Have accepted with BB IB, and I will work in a very strong group for two years. All of their analysts have recieved offers from strong PE shops, so I will almost definitely be doing PE for two years after my IB stint.

I have always wanted to go to HBS and I am wondering if you could provide me with some feedback regarding how competitive I am and what I can do to improve my chances.

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that you have taken quant classes in college and earned A's in them. Given that and the quant nature of your work, I wouldn't retake your GMAT.

If I understand your post, you just graduated and plan to work in IB for two years and then apply. Certainly your academic stats are competitive. To improve your profile seek opportunities for leadership. It is unlikely as a new hire at a BB IB that you will find many opportunities there, and you will probably work loooong hours. To the extent you can make time for community service or hobbies they will distinguish you from your competition, provide leadership opportunities, and strengthen your application.

For more ideas on how you can improve your profile, please consider the following ebooks:

Best PRactices for 2005 MBA Admission
[url=http://www.accepted.com/ecommerce/ebook2.aspx]The Finance Professional's Guide to MBA Admission
[/url]

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Not Just IB [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 16:00
I will be working in IB for two years and then I plan to work in Private Equity (LBO Shop) for two years after that. Does working in PE improve your position when you apply?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not Just IB [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 18:12
Expert's post
mbk5w wrote:
I will be working in IB for two years and then I plan to work in Private Equity (LBO Shop) for two years after that. Does working in PE improve your position when you apply?

Usually yes. It is hard to get into PE and the fact that you made it is a credential and valuable experience under your belt. Obviously, the impact of your PE experience will depend on what you do and have to say about it.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog